uniqs
share rss forum feed

pkarlos_76

join:2004-08-24
Edmonton, AB
reply to banko

Re: New Prices, New Bundles, Unlimited Bandwidth

said by banko :

Well i paid almost 300$ for my HD terminal and it did not even have the hard drive inside to record TV shows. Was i suppose to get it for free ?

If its a 3200 model and you are on the SPP Broadband XXX package with TV, then yes.

banko

@telus.net

NO. Im on the Basic HD TV or whatever its called + BB50...

banko

@telus.net

More like im on Legacy TV + my recent switch to BB50. Therefore, im paying 10$ extra per month compared to my previous Extreme package for a total of 109$ after tax for TV/Internet.

banko

@telus.net

Actually i did switch to SPP+ BB50 for about 15 minutes, than my sister came back from and almost murdered me for not having her channels so i had to contact SHaw again and reverse this SPP for the Legacy/Basic HD TV package and swallow the $10/month hike in my monthly bill.

personalizer

@shawcable.net
reply to DannyCal1987

If I already switched to the personal plan (extreme, home phone, and tv) for $99. Can I cross upgrade to Broadband 50 for no extra cost?

saberon

join:2011-05-27

Absolutely yes personalizer...or Broadband 100 for $10/more month

pkarlos_76

Edmonton, AB
reply to banko

said by banko :

NO. Im on the Basic HD TV or whatever its called + BB50...

Then NO, You need to get Personal TV!!!!

RoninTech

join:2004-07-24
De Winton, AB
reply to DannyCal1987

Hi,

I currently have an old SOHO account as I used to run a business website from my home. Don't do that any longer and would like to sign up for BB50 and Basic phone. What would my monthly cost be?

jaig58

join:2011-06-19
New Westminster, BC
reply to noUBB

UBB , no UBB, Doesn't Matter @noUBB and @DannyCalgary

Same outcome, You Use More -> You PAY More !!!! Sounds good to me.
I'm not a high user, but people paying the same as me, $39 /Month for High Speed internet, downloading 300-600 GB was crap. Now they're at least paying $10-$70 More Than Me, to Shaw each Month, hopefully causing Shaw not to increase the price of My internet too much in the next couple years.

treebeard

join:2011-04-18

FYI Jaig58
It only costs an isp pennies per GB for each user. Making the high users pay more doesn't make them use less or magically make your node less congested.

someshawguy

@shawcable.net
reply to jaig58

said by jaig58:

hopefully causing Shaw not to increase the price of My internet too much in the next couple years.

This is perhaps the most dumbest post I've ever read.

tanker

@telus.net

Jaig, I am paying 10$ extra per month for double the speed of my internet, not for the stupid 400GB monthly limit. When i want to downlaod things i want them faster. I've just checked my monthly caps and i average around 100GB per month for the last 5 months, why would i want to go to BB50 for the monthly cap ?

XT0RT
S3x, Drugs, War

join:2001-07-28
Edmonton, AB
reply to DannyCal1987

I was paying $56 a month to Telus for my 15 Mbit connection. I am now paying $62 for my BB50 plan. I feel sorry for those that haven't done the switch over yet.
--
Core i7 2720QM : GTX 460M : 6GB DDR3-1333 : 320GB x 2 in RAID 0 : Windows 7 Home Premium

AlphaPenguin

@shawcable.net

I have kind of a conundrum, just switched from telus 15 to shaw 50, so everything should be awesome right? and it almost is, except i'm noticing a 20-30 ms latency increase across the board to pretty much anywhere in the US over what I had with telus. Which is not optimal as I like to play online games i'm actually having a lot more trouble deciding between a 3x speed increase over a 20 ms latency increase than I would have thought I would.

DannyCalgary

join:2011-01-19
Calgary, AB

Yea for sure, telus will always be lower latency is seems. What online games are you playing though?

pkarlos_76

Edmonton, AB

said by DannyCalgary:

Yea for sure, telus will always be lower latency is seems. What online games are you playing though?

I wonder if Shaw can optimize their DNS routing to provide lower latency in anyway? I'm sure they are constantly doing this, but who knows.

ilianame

join:2002-06-05
Burnaby, BC
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Shaw

Latency is definitely laggin on Shaw. I used Novus in 2009, and played in an open AlienWare tournament for Left 4 Dead 2. I'm afraid that if I had Shaw, I would not have been able to get as far in the tournament as with Novus. Competitive multiplayer benefits enormously from lower ping. My average ping to west coast servers on Novus was below 20ms, all the way to LA. 6ms to Seattle. Here on Shaw, I get 80ms to LA and 40ms to Seattle.
And I'm definitely seeing that my game responds "like in a stasis field" compared to Novus, which felt like playing on a local machine.

AlphaPenguin

@shawcable.net
reply to DannyCalgary

said by DannyCalgary:

Well so far i've noticed i'm getting around 70-80 ms to chicago and Seattle, which is where the servers I usually play TF2, MNC and bad company 2 are i used to get 40-50ish to them, My ping in Aion jumped from mid 70's to 150, that really doesn't matter much because it's an mmo though, although the increase is pretty shocking.

pkarlos_76

Edmonton, AB
reply to ilianame

said by ilianame:

Latency is definitely laggin on Shaw. I used Novus in 2009, and played in an open AlienWare tournament for Left 4 Dead 2. I'm afraid that if I had Shaw, I would not have been able to get as far in the tournament as with Novus. Competitive multiplayer benefits enormously from lower ping. My average ping to west coast servers on Novus was below 20ms, all the way to LA. 6ms to Seattle. Here on Shaw, I get 80ms to LA and 40ms to Seattle.
And I'm definitely seeing that my game responds "like in a stasis field" compared to Novus, which felt like playing on a local machine.

Isn't Novus FFTH? FTTH by definition of its technology will get better latency.

AlphaPenguin

@shawcable.net

Why would FFTH be significantly better than non? Doing a quick tracert is showing me 5 ms before i'm on shaws backbone, which should be fiber anyway, so ffth might cut that to 2 or 3 ms, but it's hardly a significant difference unless i'm missing something?

DannyCalgary

Calgary, AB
reply to AlphaPenguin

I will give this a try tomorrow night or this weekend. I'm getting shaw installed again tomorrow, but will leave Telus hooked up for a while before I decide. Just going to run some tests and what not.

tjsnide

join:2004-07-26
reply to DannyCal1987

Anyone here run over their cap and get bumped up to the next speed yet?

Just curious if thats working yet. And if i had to make any changes to my old plan for that to occur?

Im just on the 7.5Mbps 125GB plan. About 7gb away from hitting my cap.

ravenchilde

join:2011-04-01
kudos:2

said by tjsnide:

Anyone here run over their cap and get bumped up to the next speed yet?

Just curious if thats working yet. And if i had to make any changes to my old plan for that to occur?

Im just on the 7.5Mbps 125GB plan. About 7gb away from hitting my cap.

All of this has been covered in the first 2 posts. Please review them.

A) No. Not until 2012.
B) You need to join the BB50 or BB100 series of plans to get this.
C) If you stay on your plan you will be grandfathered.

iHateShaw

join:2009-05-16

The current High Speed and Extreme plans are NOT being grandfathered. They will still be offered along with the new BB plans for people that need less speed or don't want to participate in the bump-up program.

DannyCalgary

Calgary, AB
reply to DannyCal1987

I talked to someone on chat about this a week ago. It was getting a bit ridiculous cause I asked them if I go over ont he BB100 plan for example, what happens. Then he told me about the bump up thing, but then I asked about it not happening until Feb 2012 and he confirmed this. So once again I asked him what would happen for the time being, and he said something about Shaw will contact you 3 times then do something more after that. So it sounds like if you go over they will do nothing more than what they were doing before UBB (only the highest usage users will be contacted). But who knows as this was only on shaw chat support.

InvalidError

join:2008-02-03
kudos:5
reply to AlphaPenguin

said by AlphaPenguin :

Why would FFTH be significantly better than non?

Because it skips the DSL/DOCSIS framing+FEC->modulation->demodulation->DSL/DOCSIS deframing steps... FTTH should have first-hop (OLT) latency well under 1ms since it is direct digital transmission with none of the extra analog steps. Jitter to the first hop should also be considerably less. Beyond that, the rest depends on the carrier's network architecture and peering/transit arrangements.

fk6

join:2011-06-02
Surrey, BC
reply to DannyCal1987

So I got my bill for the new Unlimited stuff.

Current Monthly Services: 157.85

But on top of that:
Transaction Fees: 14.95
Changes Since Your Previous Invoice: 19.09

+ $23HST on top of that.

Yikes, there's like no explanation for those two items at all. Anyone know what they could be before I have to end up calling to be put on hold for an hour?

saberon

join:2011-05-27

Transaction fee is an error, I've had it before, Call and they will remove it.

Changes since invoice is because you are billed a month in advance for your service. Totally normal but a bit confusing. If I change a service part way during my cycle I'm billed to the end of the cycle plus the next month. Trust me, it is normal!

Example: My cycle is 23rd to 22nd. I upgrade my internet on the 14th so it costs $10 more. I get charged a prorated amount from the 14th to the 23rd, and then a month from the 23rd to 22nd of next month. So it would be like a $13-14 charge.

I find live chat is much much better than calling in, they don't feel as rushed and actually do a good job.

Doonz

join:2010-11-27
Beaumont, AB
reply to DannyCal1987

Is it possible to get 2 static ips on the Unlimited 100 bundle?

DannyCalgary

Calgary, AB
reply to DannyCal1987

I think it comes with 2 static IP's if I have heard correctly.