Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

elray

join:2000-12-16
Santa Monica, CA

1 recommendation

Score one for the people!

Thank god at least one state legislature gets it, saving the taxpayers of NC from the grubby paws of local politicians and their lazy neighbors.

firephoto
We the people
Premium
join:2003-03-18
Brewster, WA
It's like those lazy canadians with government healthcare and one of them getting $400,000 open heart surgery back in 1994 for FREE! and it costing each family in canada about $0.05 so that one person could live. The travesty of that pesky government!
--
Say no to JAMS!

hottboiinnc
ME

join:2003-10-15
Cleveland, OH
not even anywhere near comparing the two. the FTTH network by a city/gov't has a HUGE failure rate.

firephoto
We the people
Premium
Brewster, WA
said by hottboiinnc:

not even anywhere near comparing the two. the FTTH network by a city/gov't has a HUGE failure rate.

That's just straight up and complete BS. We get it, you're in the industry or love the industry or maybe just love all the easy cash the industry makes by getting special laws passed that specifically benefit their private interests and nobody else.

A monopoly is easy to spot unless you are blinded by the stacks of cash.
--
Say no to JAMS!

hottboiinnc
ME

join:2003-10-15
Cleveland, OH
Muni networks do have a HUGE failure rate. Should we site some of the largest now?

iProvo
Utopia
Mananas Virgina.
Clyde, Ohio (BPL and the State of Ohio stopped them from deploying FTTH to protect the citizens)
Wireless Philly (and not because Elink backed out of the deal)
and countless other Wifi Networks and BPL
Also look at Click! Network in WA. That network is still operating on DOCSIS 1.1 the same as 95% of all MSOs. You don't call that a failed network?
And I do not work for the industry- used to work in it about 5 years ago; now i work for a multi-billion dollar toy company that is based in Denmark.

firephoto
We the people
Premium
Brewster, WA
said by hottboiinnc:

Muni networks do have a HUGE failure rate. Should we site some of the largest now?

iProvo
Utopia
Mananas Virgina.
Clyde, Ohio (BPL and the State of Ohio stopped them from deploying FTTH to protect the citizens)
Wireless Philly (and not because Elink backed out of the deal)
and countless other Wifi Networks and BPL
Also look at Click! Network in WA. That network is still operating on DOCSIS 1.1 the same as 95% of all MSOs. You don't call that a failed network?
And I do not work for the industry- used to work in it about 5 years ago; now i work for a multi-billion dollar toy company that is based in Denmark.

Yes lots of examples where laws passed in favor of incumbents causes muni operations to have problems. Whodathunk.

Oh and I hardly call something that still exists as being a failure but I get how you like to point out the negatives to justify your position. Just because you're only willing to see the bad aspects doesn't mean every similar occurrence gets the same rubber stamp because you have your corporate goggles on.
--
Say no to JAMS!

Simba7
I Void Warranties

join:2003-03-24
Billings, MT
reply to hottboiinnc
said by hottboiinnc:

Muni networks do have a HUGE failure rate.

That's a large pile of BS. I guess you haven't heard of Powell, WY then.

»Fiber to the Home on the Range
»Powell, Wyoming: Population 5,500, Fiber Fed
»www.bbpmag.com/2008issues/aug08/···well.pdf

Care to explain that one? I'm sure there's several more that are quite successful.
--
Bresnan 18M/1M
MyWS[i7-870@4.1G,16G RAM,2x1T HDDs,Win7]
WifeWS[A64@2G,2G RAM,120G HDD,Win7]
Router[2xP3@1G,512M RAM,18G HDD,Allied Telesyn AT2560FX,2xDigital QP DE504,Compaq DP NC3131,2xSun QP GigaSwift, SMC 8432BTA, Gentoo Linux]