spc
Search similar:

uniqs
zoltron30
join:2010-12-28
Brampton, ON

zoltron30

pinging past my cable modem.....

i want all my routers to be able to ping onto the internet. i have a cable modem from my provider and i'm thinking of setting up NAT on the router thats connected to my cable modem then setup a default route to my isp and advertise that route under the OSPF process. is that correct? i want to use 4.2.2.2 as a name server as well......
meta
join:2004-12-27

meta

That may work as stated, but I would suggest involving someone with experience in the design process to make sure bullets arent being inserted in feet if you catch my meaning.
HELLFIRE
MVM
join:2009-11-25

HELLFIRE to zoltron30

MVM

to zoltron30
said by zoltron30:

i want all my routers to be able to ping onto the internet.

Doable
said by zoltron30:

i have a cable modem from my provider and i'm thinking of setting up NAT on the router thats connected to my cable modem then setup a default route to my isp and advertise that route under the OSPF process. is that correct?

Depends what you want to do exactly, and how big the network itself is.
said by zoltron30:

i want to use 4.2.2.2 as a name server as well......

Doable

But you're really thin on details zoltron30

- How many routers are we talking about?
- what model of routers are you planning to use?
- what kind of topology are you planning? Core-Dist-Access? Flat?

Without knowing the above, wouldn't be able to say for sure.

Regards
aryoba
MVM
join:2002-08-22

aryoba to zoltron30

MVM

to zoltron30
What you suggest is doable and is standard of lots of organizations. Following is a general idea

* NAT router should be one that connects directly to the cable modem
* NAT router has to be able to talk to your cable ISP. This typically mean that the NAT router has use IP address that your cable ISP assign or understand on one side and the NAT router has use IP address that your internal network uses on another side. Further, the NAT router has to be able to reach the Internet through your cable ISP and the cable ISP has to be able to reach the NAT router
* The rest of your routers have to be able to talk to the NAT router (I assume this is how you use OSPF to make such talk in place)
* Reachability to the Internet through your cable ISP that is known to the NAT router has to be redistributed to the rest of the routers to make sure all routers know how to reach the Internet (I assume you would use OSPF to redistribute such Internet reachability)
* Typically you use your cable ISP name server IP address as primary DNS. You may use 4.2.2.2 as secondary DNS