spc
Search similar:

uniqs
mh754
join:2011-05-27
Sparkill, NY

mh754

Vonage can't connect to internet through new cable modem

Today I replaced an ancient Motorola SB4100 cable modem, because it was causing connectivity issues with internet service on my computer. Despite those connectivity issues, the Vonage V-portal box always easily found the internet through the old modem, and rarely had problems.

Now the modem is a Scientific Atlanta DPX2203. It fixed my internet problems -- just had a 40-minute conversation on Skype without a glitch. But when I unplug the Ethernet cable from the computer and connect it to the Vonage box, it cannot find the internet. I unplugged it, repowered it, pressed the Reset button, etc. But always the result is Error 02 -- cannot connect to internet.

The DPX2203 is not on Vonage's list of modems that won't work. So there shouldn't be any incompatibility. But I can't think of any other reason why the Vonage box can't connect through it, when the internet is definitely working.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

cork1958
Cork
Premium Member
join:2000-02-26

cork1958

Premium Member

I'm not sure I'm reading this correctly? I'm tired as heck and can't see straight!

Why are you unplugging the ethernet cable from the computer and plugging it into the adapter?

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer to mh754

Premium Member

to mh754
You say that you have reset and power cycled the Vonage V-portal box, but have you tried turning off power to both the cable modem and the Vonage V-portal box, then powering up the cable modem first and waiting until it syncs with the cable network, then powering up the Vonage V-portal box? That is the normal method to get a new end-user device to connect to a cable modem and get a public IP address.
mh754
join:2011-05-27
Sparkill, NY

mh754

This morning I tried again, disconnecting everything (including the coax cable from the modem), waiting several minutes, then powering up again step by step. This time the Vonage box DID connect to the internet -- problem solved.

To cork's question -- I had the computer directly connected to the cable modem, to establish that the modem was online and internet access was working. Then I unplugged the Ethernet cable from the computer (disconnecting it), and moved it to the blue Ethernet port on the Vonage box. For some reason, the Vonage box couldn't complete the initial handshake to get connected.

Anyhow, problem solved -- thanks for the helpful advice!

garys_2k
Premium Member
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI

garys_2k

Premium Member

said by mh754:

To cork's question -- I had the computer directly connected to the cable modem, to establish that the modem was online and internet access was working. Then I unplugged the Ethernet cable from the computer (disconnecting it), and moved it to the blue Ethernet port on the Vonage box. For some reason, the Vonage box couldn't complete the initial handshake to get connected.

Anyhow, problem solved -- thanks for the helpful advice!

Just about any time you physically disconnect one piece of Ethernet equipment and "replace" it with another you'll have to let whatever's doing the routing (in this case, the modem) learn about the new hardware before it can be used. The reboots were necessary to reset all of the MAC and IP addresses and buffers.