ccmiami
join:2003-12-13
Herndon, VA

ccmiami

[DVR] FIOS TV: First week impressions after DirecTV

After a switch from DirecTV to FIOS, Here are my impressions:

Good stuff:

• Picture quality is a step up
• Doesn’t go out when it rains (at least not so far)
• DVR & STB is much faster at everything, changing channels is instant
• On-demand is immediate, I like on-demand – hope they put EVERYTHING on-demand (all shows for past 30 days)
• Less cost – “triple play” about the same as DirectTV alone
• DVR is less noisy
• STB applications are interesting, don’t know if I will use them

Not so good:

• I would hope for more HD channels I could use (not sports, what’s with HD tennis?)
• Different channel ranges for SD and HD, makes it hard to scan and we have to think about what is on HD and what isn’t and remember to add 500. Makes the lack of HD hit you in the face. They should map all channels to HD on an HD set as DTV does.
• On-demand could use better organization to find stuff. Should be able to browse & search across broadcast, upcoming shows and on-demand. Should be able to filter out extra$ easier.
• On DVR, when fast forward or reverse it is hard to tell where you are – the DTV “fast forward” helped as did the time gauge.
• Can’t pause or record master DVR from STB. Can’t see one DVR from the other! Location of recordings should be seamless.
• Didn’t get 1.9! including external hard drive support.
• Dealing with getting the current DVR (which was the reason I switched now) was a frustrating experience
• No automatic “channels I get” in guide and search.
• Channel line-up and HD channels about the same, but my wife was annoyed at loosing GMT (which is on a cheaper FIOS plan!)

Network issue – having to reconfigure my network so the VZ router could be “first” is just silly and not necessary.

brianmcd
Premium Member
join:2000-09-06
Norristown, PA

brianmcd

Premium Member

said by ccmiami:

Didn’t get 1.9! including external hard drive support.

The 1.9IMG has been delayed for everyone. They started the rollout and ran into some issues, which caused them to apply the brakes. There are discussion threads here with more details.
said by ccmiami:

Network issue; having to reconfigure my network so the VZ router could be first is just silly and not necessary.

You do NOT have to have the Verizon Router First. Check out the FAQ:
»Verizon FiOS FAQ
JPL
Premium Member
join:2007-04-04
Downingtown, PA

JPL to ccmiami

Premium Member

to ccmiami
said by ccmiami:

• Different channel ranges for SD and HD, makes it hard to scan and we have to think about what is on HD and what isn’t and remember to add 500. Makes the lack of HD hit you in the face. They should map all channels to HD on an HD set as DTV does.

I agree that it would be nicer the way DirecTV does it. For what it's worth, 1.9 adds a nice little feature to make it a tad easier. If you're watching something on an SD channel, and there's an HD equivalent channel, you now get the option to 'watch in HD'. Select on that and it jumps you right to the HD channel. No, not anywhere near as nice as having both SD and HD in the guide together, but a step in the right direction.

• On-demand could use better organization to find stuff. Should be able to browse & search across broadcast, upcoming shows and on-demand. Should be able to filter out extra$ easier.

You can search across a specific type. I forget exactly what it's called (it's a tad different under 1.9), but once you go into search, you should see an option called something like 'Search by Content' or something like that. Select on that, and you can pick which content type to search by - VOD, DVR, TV Listings, etc.

• On DVR, when fast forward or reverse it is hard to tell where you are – the DTV “fast forward” helped as did the time gauge.

I agree with you on this one too. The thing is, it's done this way by design. They initially had it so you saw the time bar, but customers complained that it blocked the picture, so they removed it. Can't satisfy everyone I guess.

• Can’t pause or record master DVR from STB. Can’t see one DVR from the other! Location of recordings should be seamless.

Most of this is solved in 1.9. No, you won't be able to pause live TV via the STB under 1.9, but everything else you mentioned will be there.

• Didn’t get 1.9! including external hard drive support.

It's coming. 1.9 hasn't been rolled out yet. You'll get it when it's rolled out to your market.

• Dealing with getting the current DVR (which was the reason I switched now) was a frustrating experience

It was probably a futile effort on your part, actually because if you're a new customer, you're most definitely getting the new hardware.

• No automatic “channels I get” in guide and search.

Again, fixed in 1.9.

• Channel line-up and HD channels about the same, but my wife was annoyed at loosing GMT (which is on a cheaper FIOS plan!)

You've hit on one of my biggest nits against their service. Their channel packages are kinda whacky. Their top package includes some premiums... and they have these 'gaps' which means that a channel is available on the lowest tier and highest tier but not the middle tier. That's just stupid. If a channel is on a lower tier, it should automatically be on any higher tier. To me the lowest tier should be a bargain tier, the middle tier has a few more channels, and the top tier should be all non-premiums. Then if they want a fourth tier that gives you everything - including premiums - that would make alot more sense to me.
jaw2012
join:2008-08-01
King Of Prussia, PA

jaw2012 to ccmiami

to ccmiami
said by ccmiami:

I would hope for more HD channels I could use (not sports, what’s with HD tennis?)

HD was made for sports, so what don't you understand about Tennis Channel HD? Tennis is a fantastic sport BTW, your missing out.
ccmiami
join:2003-12-13
Herndon, VA

ccmiami

I also have one additional issue with the FIOS DVR – “pause” does not pause for long enough and when it comes out of pause it seems to loose content. I have yet to figure out exactly what it is doing.

On HD Tennis: HD was made to replace old analog technology with digital and a different (and some think better) aspect ratio. SD technology and channels are legacy and we should get rid of all of them prior to introducing more specialized content. I don't watch much sports and I don't see that taking limited bandwidth for a HD channel dedicated to one sport of specialized interest makes any sense at all. Sure, carry tennis on a sports channel when it makes sense - but 24/7? Give me a break!

amarryat
Verizon FiOS
join:2005-05-02
Marshfield, MA

amarryat

said by ccmiami:

I don't watch much sports and I don't see that taking limited bandwidth for a HD channel dedicated to one sport of specialized interest makes any sense at all

There are many specialized channels besides tennis, and you could make the same case for all of them... And then there'd be none.

linflas
join:1999-08-18
Manassas, VA

linflas to ccmiami

to ccmiami
I have been a DTV sub since 1997 and after 1.5 years of FIOS phone and internet I had the TV service turned on in February. The primary reason I won't just switch off the DTV is the NFL package but otherwise other than a few annoyances I could make the switch. Once I figured out how to access the dual live buffers on the FIOS box my biggest objection to switching to it went away. I am still stuck with the old limited space DVR at the moment so that is another show stopper for me totally switching. The other annoyance I ran into when messing with the DVR the other night is there doesn't seem to be a way to record a program that is "in the buffer". On the DTV DVR each buffer contains 1.5 hours of programming and if I rewind it back into a show that has ended I can save it by simply hitting record. Even if it is only partial it will still save whatever is there to disk.
PJL
join:2008-07-24
Long Beach, CA

PJL

said by linflas:

...I am still stuck with the old limited space DVR at the moment so that is another show stopper for me totally switching. The other annoyance I ran into when messing with the DVR the other night is there doesn't seem to be a way to record a program that is "in the buffer".

Have you ordered the larger DVR (7232)? That will solve your space issue. Hitting the Record button while watching a program records what's in the buffer (usually the beginning of the program if you've been watching it or had been watching it and have only switched to one other channel) and anything else remaining in the program time period.

linflas
join:1999-08-18
Manassas, VA

linflas

What I am talking about with the buffer is say program that ran from 6:00 to 6:30 is now in the buffer while I am watching something at 7:15. On my DTV box if I rewind back so I am am watching the 6-6:30 program and hit record it will save it. When I tried this on the FIOS box it told me I cannot record a program that has completed. I don't recall the exact wording but that was the gist of it. I did fill out the request on the Verizon page for the newer box but have not heard anything back from them. I am going to try stopping by the local store and see what they say about it when I get a chance.
PJL
join:2008-07-24
Long Beach, CA

PJL

said by linflas:

What I am talking about with the buffer is say program that ran from 6:00 to 6:30 is now in the buffer while I am watching something at 7:15. ...

Yes, the buffer only holds the program that is current (in progress) in the program guide. What you describe is true recording "in the past" and would be a nice addition.

WK2
Premium Member
join:2006-12-28
united state

WK2 to ccmiami

Premium Member

to ccmiami
Most of what you described will come along in 1.9 like others have said. When will you get 1.9? Who Knows hopefully soon. I hope you enjoy your service.
JPL
Premium Member
join:2007-04-04
Downingtown, PA

JPL to PJL

Premium Member

to PJL
said by PJL:

said by linflas:

What I am talking about with the buffer is say program that ran from 6:00 to 6:30 is now in the buffer while I am watching something at 7:15. ...

Yes, the buffer only holds the program that is current (in progress) in the program guide. What you describe is true recording "in the past" and would be a nice addition.

I haven't tested this in 1.9 - I'm interested to try it out. I'll have to do that when I get home. I know this issue is one that tweaks quite a few people - I've been bitten by it in the past too. I see no reason why you shouldn't be able to record what's already in the buffer.

One nicety of the Verizon DVR over DirecTV, though, is something I stumbled on by accident, and I don't think it was designed this way. They tell you that the buffer is only I think 60 minutes long. It can actually be MUCH longer (depending on what else your DVR is doing and how much space it has). One night my wife and I were watching a movie. We were most of the way through it (about 2 hours in). There was only 1/2 hour left but it was getting really late so I hit the record button and went to bed. I was surprised the next morning when I saw that I had the full movie - all 2 1/2 hours - recorded.