spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Anan0
join:2011-05-28
Canada

Anan0

How do you track your monthly usage?

After all the lovely help I've received from this forum, I will hopefully have Teksavvy cable internet in the next month or two. That time depends on how Rogers acts when I tell them I'm leaving. So preparing for that lovely day when I finally have a cap that should satisfy my needs, I'd still like to have something ready to track how much I'm using. I've heard that Teksavvy does not currently provide a way to track it, so how do you keep tabs on what you're using?
decx
Premium Member
join:2002-06-07
Vancouver, BC

decx

Premium Member

Router (Tomato) based bandwidth tracking.
redgrandam
join:2010-08-10
London, ON

redgrandam to Anan0

to Anan0
No online tracking yet for cable. Unless you are a heavy user you don't have much to worry about. If you are then use as posted above, or I just keep tabs on my download program. With 300gb you usually have to work pretty hard to get over it (depending on how many users)

Mike2009
join:2009-01-13
Ottawa, ON

Mike2009

My Netgear 3500L works well for this.

chaos1105
join:2004-01-18

chaos1105 to Anan0

to Anan0
No bandwidth monitor for ontario cable = no overage charges.

Mike2009
join:2009-01-13
Ottawa, ON
TP-Link Archer C7
Technicolor DCM476
Grandstream HT701

Mike2009

said by chaos1105:

Isn't 300 gigs a month enough?
Anan0
Canada

Anan0 to decx

to decx
said by decx:

Router (Tomato) based bandwidth tracking.

Can that be put on any router? I have a Belkin N Wireless router.
decx
Premium Member
join:2002-06-07
Vancouver, BC

decx

Premium Member

No Belkin routers are supported by any of the Tomato variants as far as I know.
Anan0
Canada

Anan0 to Mike2009

to Mike2009
said by Mike2009:

I would assume so, but I'd still like to have something tracking my usage just in case. I don't want Teksavvy cutting me off or anything...
grunze510
join:2009-02-14
Cote Saint-Luc, QC

grunze510

Give Networx a try. I believe it's able to combine the stats with multiple computers that also have Networx installed, and I'm pretty sure it's also able to filter out local network traffic (meaning that it only counts internet traffic).
Anan0
Canada

2 edits

Anan0

Oh, I don't have to worry about multiple computers, but I do have an iPod touch and an Xbox 360 I would be using online. Those are the main things I would want to track.

EDIT: But thank you for the suggestion. If I can't find anything to track all of my devices, I'll download Networx so I can at least track what I'm using on my PC. I've been using Net Meter, but it's only a trial.

Ott_Cable
@teksavvy.com

Ott_Cable to Anan0

Anon

to Anan0
>Can that be put on any router? I have a Belkin N Wireless router.

Wait for Tomato USB next release (over due), but don't hold your breath as there are lots of stuff going on for IPv6.
Ott_Cable

Ott_Cable to Anan0

Anon

to Anan0
Which Belkin model? They have funny way of doing their model numbers. Only the Broadcom CPU would be supported by Tomato. You could use DD-WRT.

See DD-WRT webpage for what's inside: »www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/inde ··· s#Belkin

Their "Play", 'Play Max" "Share" and "Share Max" series requires special build for each model. You cannot use generic RT build as they WILL brick.
VladimirZ
join:2011-02-25
London, ON

VladimirZ to Anan0

to Anan0
Tomato 1.28 on WRT54GL router with saving of bandwidth usage stats to CIFS share.
Anan0
Canada

Anan0 to Ott_Cable

to Ott_Cable
It looks like I'm out of luck. Mine is not supported. I'll just hold out hope that Teksavvy releases something soon, I guess.
leeanne172
leeanne172
join:2003-01-28
Toronto Ont

leeanne172 to Anan0

to Anan0
I have the unlimited plan but still use Networx to track, just out of curiosity to see what I do in a month
InvalidError
join:2008-02-03

InvalidError to Anan0

to Anan0
I made the decision to switch to TSI when I got fed up of keeping a tight leash back when Videotron's cap was 30GB vs TSI's 100GB. TSI bumped caps to 200GB before I signed up and I went "to heck with keeping track of usage, I won't be using 200GB even if I try to any time soon", which I still don't today.
Anan0
Canada

Anan0

Does anyone have any idea how much bandwidth would be used while surfing the net on an iPod touch? Or just keeping wifi on to receive email, ect. Same with online gaming on an Xbox 360? Though not via wi-fi in that case.

If I can't find another way to do it but I know the general numbers, I can at least estimate.

AOD
Premium Member
join:2008-01-24
M9B

2 edits

AOD

Premium Member

said by Anan0:

Does anyone have any idea how much bandwidth would be used while surfing the net on an iPod touch? Or just keeping wifi on to receive email, ect. Same with online gaming on an Xbox 360? Though not via wi-fi in that case.

If I can't find another way to do it but I know the general numbers, I can at least estimate.

if that's all you are doing you should be under 300GB by a long shot. unless its almost painstakingly obvious that you are abusing way over the cap, you don't have anything to worry about

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium Member
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON

dillyhammer

Premium Member

said by AOD:

unless its almost painstakingly obvious that you are abusing way over the cap, you don't have anything to worry about

It all starts off that way... later there is running and screaming.

Mike
Teresita225
join:2005-08-31
Canada

Teresita225 to Anan0

to Anan0
Thanks grunze510, Networx sounds good.

Right now I am using BitMeter II and it has been working great for me.
Anan0
Canada

Anan0 to AOD

to AOD
I plan on streaming video on the computer (among other things), but I can track that using Networx. Th other things I have no way of tracking so I thought I'd just try to estimate.
34764170 (banned)
join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned) to Mike2009

to Mike2009
said by Mike2009:

said by chaos1105:

Obviously not, otherwise there wouldn't be unlimited plans.