All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

josh121
@verizon.net

josh121

Anon

What kind of non-landline internet can I get?

I just moved into a new apartment and my landlord will not allow to me to get landline installation of phone service or internet so I'm not sure what my options here.

I checked out some mobile broadband services in the NYC area (I live in Brooklyn) but they mostly have caps. From the bandwidth logs I've checked on my router, on average I download about 300 GB and upload ~250 GB per month from when I had Verizon FiOS (50Mbps downstream speeds).

What alternatives do I have here? Are there any 4G unlimited internet available that I can get? I'd actually prefer prepaid but I don't think there is such thing.

ilikeme
Premium Member
join:2002-08-27
Stafford, TX

ilikeme

Premium Member

I would think there would be some sort of law against the landlord preventing you from getting a regular phone or cable tv provider.
tobicat
Premium Member
join:2005-04-18
Tombstone, AZ

tobicat to josh121

Premium Member

to josh121
I suspect that the aparment has it's own phone, tv and internet system but its not gonna allow 300gigs a month.
dplantz
join:2000-08-02
Bradenton, FL

dplantz to josh121

to josh121
Clear wimax. Clear is getting out of retail sales, you can get a wifi hotspot from sprint with unlimited 4g/5 gigs 3g. 4-6 mbs download 1 up. check the coverage map before buying. 59.00 a month. 2 year contact. Don't expect to do 300 gigs with it, normal usage is fine.

Hayward0
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium Member
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL

2 edits

Hayward0 to tobicat

Premium Member

to tobicat
said by tobicat:

I suspect that the aparment has it's own phone, tv and internet system but its not gonna allow 300gigs a month.

Yea one of these days pigs will finally realize, they actually have to PAY to be horrendously above norm hogs.

And unless Netflix starts compensating ISP's to build out to compensate their whorring, subscribers will soon likely never see HD again in PT, and as many already are at least during prime hours throttle those feeds, to it dropping back to SD or ED quallity.

It going to come that way or you want Netflix you pay ISP more to have the full speed service and the build out needed for it.

Also consider much of ISP's are Comcast, TW, ATT, etc. who all have their own TV products, so really no reason for them to accommodate/free ride Netflix at their expense.

Killa200
Premium Member
join:2005-12-02
TN

Killa200

Premium Member

said by Hayward0:

And unless Netflix starts compensating ISP's to build out to compensate their whorring

HAH! Maybe the big guys should start paying Netflix for increasing their sub count by making a product people want to use on the internet, regardless of how crappy the ISP keeps making their product.

Lopsided traffic or not, it isn't Netflix's job to make so-and-so ISP actually get off their ass and butt hurt their profit margin a quarter to do some well needed infrastructure. Netflix and all other content providers pay their dues already, and have no interest in paying once again for something someone thinks they are entitled to.

I have my boat in both the ISP side and the content provider side's race, so there is my unbiased opinion of the matter.

::On Topic::

It is going to be a hard stretch for you OP to find a fixed or mobile wireless solution with that heavy or no cap. May be worth your time to try and fight the landlord if that is really what you need, and try and get landline service for yourself.