share rss forum feed

cypherstream
Premium,MVM
join:2004-12-02
Reading, PA
kudos:3
reply to BiggA

Re: Spectrum Quad Tuner DVR revealed

I think his concern is, if Comcast is coming out with this, why spend money on an MCE box, Moxi, or Tivo?

Sure I guess he could do that solution, but if this comes out in a few months, go to the hassle of selling his MCE box, Moxi or Tivo on ebay.

stoli412

join:2003-02-12
UK

Yes but littering the thread by asking the same question over and over again isn't helpful. We don't know when this will be released to more markets. We almost never know until it actually starts happening.

The current guide has a sucky UI, but it works. The new guide will come when it comes. If he can't deal with what we have now, there are alternatives. If he can't afford an alternative, then he'll have to deal with what he has now. Complaining about it here isn't going to speed up Comcast's deployment schedule.

mikedz4

join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV

i'm not going to buy a $400 mce card or spend $300 on a decent tivo only for us to get this new box two weeks later. Plus I would need two tivos or moxis since I'd want one in my room and my parents are addicted to the motorola in the living room.

stoli412

join:2003-02-12
UK

Then my suggestion is to get your box replaced if it's not working correctly. We don't know when this is coming to more markets. It could be a month or a year.

THZNDUP
Deorum Offensa Diis Curae
Premium
join:2003-09-18
Lard
kudos:2
reply to stoli412

Posting here about stuff like this is like continously pushing the button for the elevator or the walk light at the corner, it doesn't help but makes them feel better........
--
one should not increase, beyond what is necessary, the number of entities required to explain anything

cypherstream
Premium,MVM
Reading, PA
reply to mikedz4

At least Comcast acknowledges it on their official blog...
»blog.comcast.com/2011/05/looking···nce.html

Once upon a time Comcast didn't want to talk about anything.

mikedz4

Weirton, WV

any updates?

jefflewis

join:2002-06-13
Evans, GA

I've got one of these boxes in my house now. What type of updates are you looking for about it? It's pretty cool and seems to work well. When it was installed, a supervisor came by to make sure it was done properly. He told me all about it and said it has 1TB of hard drive space, and that it is capable of using 4 tuners, but that comcast only has 3 turned on right now. I can record two shows and watch a third. Let me know if I can answer any more questions about it.

Russ6

join:2011-03-17
Houston, TX
kudos:1

said by jefflewis:

I've got one of these boxes in my house now. What type of updates are you looking for about it? It's pretty cool and seems to work well. When it was installed, a supervisor came by to make sure it was done properly. He told me all about it and said it has 1TB of hard drive space, and that it is capable of using 4 tuners, but that comcast only has 3 turned on right now. I can record two shows and watch a third. Let me know if I can answer any more questions about it.

Does it have AnyRoom DVR functionality?
Can you record 3 shows?
Have you heard if it will be deployed elsewhere?
What do you think about the guide?

Thanks

jefflewis

Evans, GA

said by Russ6:

Does it have AnyRoom DVR functionality?
Can you record 3 shows?
Have you heard if it will be deployed elsewhere?
What do you think about the guide?

Thanks

No any room dvr.
Cannot record 3 at once. Record two and watch a third.
In Augusta,GA only right now. Haven't heard of any more.
The guide is really cool, but it can lag at times if you move around too fast. I may post a video of it later.

Joe12345678

join:2003-07-22
Des Plaines, IL

can you record 3 and play back a saved show?

record 3 and play VOD?

what is the cost vs the older DRV?

do you need to buy cable HSI and phone to get this? or just HSI?

jefflewis

Evans, GA

said by Joe12345678:

can you record 3 and play back a saved show?

record 3 and play VOD?

what is the cost vs the older DRV?

do you need to buy cable HSI and phone to get this? or just HSI?

You cannot record three shows at once... Period. You can only record two shows, then watch another channel, VOD, or DVR. There are 4 tuners in this box, but comcast has only unlocked the use of three tuners. It's probably because they had bandwidth issues with 4 tuners at once. I assume the infrastructure is not ready for 4 tuners (just a guess).

There is no new monthly cost with the new Spectrum box. The only cost I had to pay was $29.99 for the tech to come on site to install it. According to the tech, there is a filter or some type of device that is installed at the junction box. They installed something at the street junction box, not the house junction box. The tech also ran signal tests on all of my outlets to make sure they were suitable for Spectrum DVR.

You must have HSI but phone is not required. If you have phone service, you can have caller ID show up on the screen.

Joe12345678

Des Plaines, IL

can you record two shows and pause / rewinds live tv?

or is this box just 2 and a half tuners?

Russ6

Houston, TX
reply to jefflewis

What do you think of the Facebook, Twitter and Pandora apps that run on Xfinity Spectrum?

Can you use Netflix or Hulu through Xfinity Spectrum?

What type of Comcast market are you in (Motorola or SA/Cisco)?

saratoga66

join:2002-08-22
Saratoga, CA
reply to jefflewis

said by jefflewis:

It's probably because they had bandwidth issues with 4 tuners at once. I assume the infrastructure is not ready for 4 tuners (just a guess).

Bandwidth would not be an issue. Comcast is not using SDV or IP TV. All channels are being sent 24/7.

Joe12345678

Des Plaines, IL

Well there may be IO / bandwidth limits on the hardware or maybe the software can't handle all tuners at this time.

This is still a test box / beta software.

jefflewis

Evans, GA
reply to Russ6

said by Russ6:

What do you think of the Facebook, Twitter and Pandora apps that run on Xfinity Spectrum?

Can you use Netflix or Hulu through Xfinity Spectrum?

What type of Comcast market are you in (Motorola or SA/Cisco)?

Facebook is basically read only, but displays feeds, pictures, and videos. It's ok, but it's quicker to just look on my phone.

Pandora is awesome! I'm a huge Pandora user to begin with, but the app on this box is really good and the sound quality is great.

Netflix and Hulu are not on this box.

Most if not all shows have a "share" button. I tried to use it a couple of times and it didn't work. When you click share on a show, it will popup and ask if you want to post three canned statements to facebook or twitter. You cannot edit the statements and I think they were along the lines of "I love this show", "I hate this show" etc. Again, it didn't post to my accounts when I tried them.

My market uses Motorola and Pace boxes.

jefflewis

Evans, GA
reply to saratoga66

said by saratoga66:

said by jefflewis:

It's probably because they had bandwidth issues with 4 tuners at once. I assume the infrastructure is not ready for 4 tuners (just a guess).

Bandwidth would not be an issue. Comcast is not using SDV or IP TV. All channels are being sent 24/7.

The supervisor that came out with the installer did say that the Spectrum box is IP based. He said this is completely different from the older DVR boxes that aren't IP based. I would assume this is why a filter of some type is required for install AND HSI is required. The guide loads instantly when you boot the box up from a power reset. There are no "Guide TBA" warnings.

Russ6

Houston, TX
reply to jefflewis

I appreciate you taking the time to answer questions about the Xfinity Spectrum DVR.

It sounds like the Xfinity Spectrum is currently being limited and not utilizing all the hardware features that it has.

Please keep us informed on any changes that are made (for example, if the number of shows that can be recorded at one time increases from just two, if more apps are made available or if AnyRoom DVR functionality is added).

Thanks

rv65
Premium
join:2008-08-02
USA!!!!
reply to jefflewis

Spectrum has QAM tuners, but he might have mentioned it uses DOCSIS and MoCA for data. Spectrum has a CableCARD slot.

cypherstream
Premium,MVM
Reading, PA
reply to jefflewis

Most likely a MoCA filter was installed at the service entrance / demarc to not degrade neighbors signals if / when they get this equipment, AnyRoom DVR, or even install their own MoCA bridges.

Zoder

join:2002-04-16
Miami, FL

I had called Comcast about a VOD problem, and at the end of the call asked the rep if he had any news on Spectrum. He claimed it would be available in South Florida on September 15th. I hope it's true, only have to wait 2 weeks to find out.

mikedz4

Weirton, WV

it'd be nice if it were available here soon.

Russ6

Houston, TX

Comcast Slots SeaChange Into Video Gateways

Light Reading Cable
September 7, 2011 | Jeff Baumgartner |

quote:
Update: Comcast issued this statement via email to confirm that SeaChange is indeed involved, but clarified that other software partners are involved in the next-gen box:

Comcast’s next generation Xfinity TV service uses a set top box based on the tru2way reference implementation. This set top includes software from multiple partners, including Seachange who provides select software components that enable elements such as multiple tuners, tru2way, and MoCA.
For the complete article, click the following link:

»www.lightreading.com/document.as···ng_gnews

The Q

join:2008-06-26
Collegeville, PA
reply to Zoder

said by Zoder:

I had called Comcast about a VOD problem, and at the end of the call asked the rep if he had any news on Spectrum. He claimed it would be available in South Florida on September 15th. I hope it's true, only have to wait 2 weeks to find out.

I don't think that what you were told is entirely accurate (not surprised). I have read where some comcast customers in selected parts of Florida do have a new guide but it's not the spectrum guide you referenced.

cypherstream
Premium,MVM
Reading, PA

How many guides are there now?
I-guide A series and S series
Spectrum
Buckeye???? (or is that the same as spectrum)?

What ever happened to "J-Guide 3.0" showed at CES in 2007, and various cable trade shows since then? Is it still it's own product, or did that evolve into "spectrum"?

Joe12345678

Des Plaines, IL

I think there is also I-guide HD / I-Guide 16:9 for tru2way users.

Russ6

Houston, TX

1 edit

A few Comcast areas are still using the SARA guide, but are scheduled to have that guide replaced with the S25 guide later this month.

The tru2way guide is also known as the OnScreen Guide 2.0 and it is being tested on the Cisco RNG 200N Any Room DVR. This guide is scheduled to be released this Fall.

mikedz4

Weirton, WV

as long as my are gets it by february when my promotion is up.

cypherstream
Premium,MVM
Reading, PA
reply to Russ6

said by Russ6:

The tru2way guide is also known as the OnScreen Guide 2.0 and it is being tested on the Cisco RNG 200N Any Room DVR. This guide is scheduled to be released this Fall.

Which is this the same look and feel as Xcaliber / Spectrum... Or is this a variant that was originally shown at 2008 CES (J-Guide).