All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
silverjim
join:2007-09-01

silverjim

[DISH] DISH Premium HD Movies question.

Hi. We currently subscribe to all DISH premium movies and the top 250, all in SD. If we got a 722k receiver and a new 3-LNB dish, would we have any cost increase in our subscription? I realize we'd have to come up with some money for the equipment, of course. It looks like most of the premium movie channels broadcast in HD now, so it looks to me like all we'd need is the HD receiver and dish to receive them. Is this true or is my thinking off? Thanks.

Hayward0
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium Member
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL

3 edits

Hayward0

Premium Member

Since they offer it to sign ups... FREE HD FOR LIFE or I will gladly still stay with SD and cripple your bandwidth.

A reason for the free for life though don't want to admit it.....or readily give it to existing subs.... BUT

Just one line of receivers which will down convert to SD, if subs only still.

Free up 1/3 or more of their available bandwidth if SD is gone, and no more needless duplication.

Again it in there interest, though would prefer to still charge you $10/mo you just need to say it.... or more importantly OK I'll stay SD forever then and you will have to provide it. (though not directly regulated... I'm sure FCC would say you can abandon customers.

And again sign ups are free HD forever.... you just need to be a little persuasive. as an existing

Off couse you would have to pay for premium, but standard HD should be free.

And no final part to your ? Not sure you can actually buy a receiver anymore. I had to way back when, then bought a 721 when you still could.... and why even though forced into a 522 still pay no DVR fee...

But I don't think you can legitimately buy a receiver anymore now that its all lease only.

I would get the receiver and card number from seller first and check with DISH if you can legitimately use it or not.

Many sold used are because you'd have to pay off previous user DEBT first to use it.

sonofjay
Mission Accomplished - Bush May 1, 2003
MVM
join:2001-05-14
Malden, MA

sonofjay to silverjim

MVM

to silverjim
$10/month/account for HD Service
$6/month/account for DVR service (you may be paying this already)
$10/month/receiver for HD DVR lease fee

plus any upfront lease costs for the DVR (i.e. $99). This might get waived depending on account status and promos.

see this link for info on getting HD service free »www.dishnetwork.com/pack ··· ult.aspx

Hayward0
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium Member
Key West, FL

3 edits

Hayward0

Premium Member

said by sonofjay:

$10/month/account for HD Service
$6/month/account for DVR service (you may be paying this already)
$10/month/receiver for HD DVR lease fee

plus any upfront lease costs for the DVR (i.e. $99). This might get waived depending on account status and promos.

see this link for info on getting HD service free »www.dishnetwork.com/pack ··· ult.aspx

Whats #3 never heard of that DVR fee yes.... and again they really want to clear out SD duplication... bet if you said the HD fee is a upgrade deal killer when new subs have it free for life you would get it.

I have already noticed SD has taken a big IQ hit recently especially on minor channels (IE lower bit rate)

If I weren't for a grandfathered SD receiver owner (though free forced replacement 522 when they went from MP2 to MP4) with no DVR fee I would have switched by now, but again when I do I'll take the $6 DVR fee for not having they $10 HD fee but that would be deal killer if not granted.
slckusr
Premium Member
join:2003-03-17
Greenville, SC

slckusr to silverjim

Premium Member

to silverjim
i have a 722 and i had signed up before the hd for life promo, they just gave it to me no calls or anything, im also on the second cheapest package, I even believe its an option when you change your service online.(assuming your equipment supports it).

the only fees I pay are 6.00 for dvr service. but I own my box due to a contract deal.

Hayward0
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium Member
Key West, FL

Hayward0

Premium Member

If you truly own your box, you should not even see a DVR fee.

Though I don't think you can switch from SD to HD and still technically own... hence the fee, though they may not have charged you for the new receiver... they will likely want it back if you leave though.
thomasjk
join:2004-12-07
Charlotte, NC

thomasjk

said by Hayward0:

If you truly own your box, you should not even see a DVR fee.

Dish charges the per account DVR fee of $6.00/month even if you own the receiver.

Hayward0
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium Member
Key West, FL

1 edit

Hayward0

Premium Member

Uhh no they don't or shouldn't be. I had a owned 506 then 710 both owned... they forced me into taking a 522 for free... to this day still no DVR fee as I have not changed service one thing that has kept me from going HD.... though considering it now, as pretty much everything is it wasn't a year or two ago.

When I do that the legacy owning will go away I'm sure. But having stuck with SD, I still have NO DVR fee just the monthly package and tax cost.
thomasjk
join:2004-12-07
Charlotte, NC

thomasjk

said by Hayward0:

Uhh no they don't or shouldn't be. I had a owned 506 then 710 both owned... they forced me into taking a 522 for free... to this day still no DVR fee as I have not changed service one thing that has kept me from going HD.... though considering it now, as pretty much everything is it wasn't a year or two ago.

When I do that the legacy owning will go away I'm sure. But having stuck with SD, I still have NO DVR fee just the monthly package and tax cost.

The 501,508 never had advr fees. beginning with the 510 dish added fees for everyone. its possible you are grandfathered for some reason. Trust me there is a per account fee for the DVR of $6.00 whether leased or owned. If you upgrade to HD you will incur this fee. This is a copy of my bill.
Jul 04 - Aug 03 America's Top 200 59.99
Jul 04 - Aug 03 Starz - 30th Anniv 0.00
Jul 04 - Aug 03 DVR Service 6.00
Jul 04 - Aug 03 Protection Plan (15) 6.00
Jul 04 - Aug 03 HD 200 Free 0.00

If you don't believe me post here »www.satelliteguys.us/dis ··· k-forum/ and ask the question.
zeddlar
join:2007-04-09
Jay, OK

zeddlar to silverjim

to silverjim
Well unless something has changed you shouldn't have to do any more than ask for the free hd for life and maybe not even that. I ordered a new HD capable DVR a year ago and they told me they were giving me free HD for life. So I imagine all you would pay is for the DVR fee if you get one through them but you dont have to have a DVR for HD. Last I looked they still leased a non DVR HD reciever.

Hayward0
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium Member
Key West, FL

Hayward0 to thomasjk

Premium Member

to thomasjk
said by thomasjk:

said by Hayward0:

The 501,508 never had a dvr fee. beginning with the 510 dish added fees for everyone. its possible you are grandfathered for some reason.

The 510 is when the they started the lease no longer could own pricing. 501 and 508, 710 you HAD to buy.

As long as you stuck with SD, yes you are grandfathered.... no some how about it, that was the promise when they made that change.

Like I said, was forced to replace 710 with free 522 they will want back likely not really own but no DVR fee.... when I upgrade to HD likely that will all go away.

And again why I was reluctant to for this long. But now that pretty much everything is HD finally... getting close especially with the HD fee going away. So I can take no 10$ HD fee for a $6 DVR fee when I do.

treeman
Premium Member
join:2000-07-15
Mcgaheysville, VA

treeman to silverjim

Premium Member

to silverjim
You can buy any Dish Network stb that you want but you will still pay the fees so you should just lease. Here a link to buy
»www.dishstore.net/