spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Mikey0124

join:2009-08-09

PIng test help

Hello all! I have been running the ping test to the montreal.voip.ms -t server to make sure my QoS is setup optimally for my connection. I have been noticing when running this test I am getting the odd "Request Timed out" messsage coming up. My ping time are averaging about 26ms with the very odd jump to 150-200ms. Should I worry about the "Request time out"? By odd I mean it may pop up after 50 hops then maybe more or maybe less. I am having a little bit of audio troubles lately with choppy voice and so on. I am not sure if that is the problem or maybe something else. I was using the Toronto server but switched to the Montreal server cause I think it is because the Toronto server is overloaded. So far today my voice quality is good. And yes I have tested other servers and even pinged google and still had the same Request time out pop up

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
Mikey0124 is online now Report Post Edit/Delete Message

BingoRingo

join:2010-03-29
Gatineau, QC
kudos:1

No replies after almost a week... I think there might have been an issue with the server when you tried this maybe?

Do you still have this issue?

FiReSTaRT
Premium
join:2010-02-26
Canada

I noticed those odd jumps to just short of 200ms even now. That's why I am sticking with toronto2 even though montreal gives me lower avg latency.

MZB

join:2010-11-25
Dunrobin, ON
reply to Mikey0124

Ping probably isn't a good idea for QoS testing - it's a different protocol to UDP and is often treated differently.

Request Timed Out = packet dropped, which may be due to an overloaded router or overloaded route somewhere. (Or wireless network interference issues). If you consistently get ping timeouts, there is a problem but possibly not one which QoS will fix.

A better bet for QoS testing is to use the echo test (4443) on the phone and listen for voice quality. (Or phone someone). Bell, for all their bad points, used to prioritize my VoIP traffic so even when ping times where in the 4second range, the VoIP was still usable. If you can still talk to yourself using the echo test when you've loaded up your bandwidth with file transfers in both directions, QoS is working OK.

You could also try »www.pingtest.net/

You could also try
tracert montreal.voip.ms
which will show you the path the packets took and how many intermediate routers they passed through. You may be surprised by some of the routes, and may get some idea of where bottlenecks are occurring.

sahaaa

join:2011-06-02
reply to Mikey0124

i did the ping test here »www.whoisxy.com/ my results are
Reply from 74.125.214.115: bytes=32 time=18ms TTL=53
Ping statistics for 74.125.214.115:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 18ms, Maximum = 18ms, Average = 18ms