spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

kjoconnor

@verizon.net

*Help* Longer coax cable - Channels now not available!!

I reconfigured my master bedroom and it required me to run a new, 50 foot coax cable from the wall to my DVR (6416) on the other side of the room. When I powered up, the box booted fine, and all appeared to be good to go. Here's the problem, I am getting a message on all of my channels saying that the channel is unavailable and to call Verizon support. Here's the weird thing, On-Demand works fine, my previous recordings work fine, all of the widgets work fine - I just can't watch TV. I took the box to another room, plugged it in and it works fine. I took the box (HD STB) from that room into the master and got the same message on that second box, I took that box back and it works fine in the other room. I need help...any suggestions?? Is a 50 ft coax cable too long? I am at a loss!

knarf829

join:2007-06-02
kudos:1

Did the original installer put signal attenuators anywhere on the problem line (a common practice to make the FiOS signal less "hot")? If so, remove them.

drake
Overdosed on confidence
Premium,MVM
join:2002-06-10
Brooklyn, NY
kudos:5
reply to kjoconnor

Welcome to BBR, kjoconnor.

What type of coax were you using before; and what coax are you using now?
I believe RG6 trishield would/should suffice.
--
Does Wayne Brady have to slap a bitch?

kjoconnor

join:2011-05-30
Redondo Beach, CA

I was using the original cable from the installer probably a 10 ft coax cable, I purchased a 50 ft RG6 cable, trishield. FYI - the on-demand picture is very sharp HD, no artifacts or any indication that the signal strength is low.

nlk10010

join:2007-06-27
Great Neck, NY

What happens if you run diagnostics? What's the signal level?

atnozm
Premium
join:2006-02-03
Schenectady, NY
reply to kjoconnor

Take the 50ft piece to the room where everything works and see if you have the same problem. I'm leaning towards a problem with that particular piece of cable.

kjoconnor

Redondo Beach, CA
reply to nlk10010

How do I run diagnostics on the box?

kjoconnor

Redondo Beach, CA
reply to atnozm

How could the on-demand work great with crystal clear HD and the widgets work fine, etc..and the cable be bad?

knarf829

Because OnDemand and widgets come over a different frequency via a different type of technology.

PaulyIzGod

join:2008-02-18
Tampa, FL
reply to kjoconnor

To run diagnostics, you can press menu, and go to customer support, and then to self diagnostics, and see how many db you are getting.

jm4590

@verizon.net

What about taking the 50ft and connecting it to a box in a different room just to test that line make sure it's not the line? That or is it possible to use a shorter cable line? Have you tried connecting an HD box to the wall where the line connects to see if its that outlet meaning bypass the 50ft and connect a line straight to the wall outlet and to the box.

kes601

join:2007-04-14
Virginia Beach, VA
kudos:2
reply to kjoconnor

As others have said, I would go with a bad cable. Also, not all tri-shield cable is created equal. I bought some at Lowe's (went for the cheaper of the 2 varieties they had) that caused many channels not to work.

kjoconnor

Redondo Beach, CA

1 recommendation

**Update**

Thanks for all of your feedback - it was the cable, I just never thought that a brand new cable would be bad like that. I purchased a new cable (50ft) and bingo, it works great. Sorry for wasting your time - I should have done more troubleshooting prior to opening this issue.

knarf829

1 recommendation

Never a problem - the next guy with the same issue will have this thread as a reference.

Glad you posted the resolution. Some never do.

nightsider

join:2011-01-06
Fort Wayne, IN
reply to kjoconnor

As a FIOS tech I would say the fittings are more than likely the problem. The fittings terminated at the factory most times are junk. The cable may be good but if the fittings are junk then you are screwed. If the coax does have a bad spot in it then you are still screwed so you need a new piece.