spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

mylesw1

join:2009-06-11

Qwest VDSL2 Modem options

I am installing a simple Qwest VDSL2 tap for a CCTV station, and I have not ordered the modem that Qwest are trying to charge me for, because I don't really want any WiFi access on this (for security reasons). I suspect I could use theirs and turn it off, but I thought it would be easier to source my own modem.

So this is where I'm at. I need to find sources for these modems to get competitive pricing, and ideally all I need is a modem that I will support with my own switch, Firewall/IDS, etc. that goes directly to my cameras.

Can anyone suggest any decent sites or modem options for this?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Myles

hutington

join:2011-05-04
Boulder, CO
I was in a similar situation. Qwest was willing to only lease their Q1000 for $7 pm. I bought a Zyxel Q100 from ebay for $5 !. This is a VDSL modem without wireless. It works great. But the technician who came to install the connection left behind a new Q1000 for free. I suspect that Qwest is trying to get rid of all the Qwest marked routers. So you may also get one for free !.

lordpuffer
RIP lil
Premium
join:2004-09-19
Rio Rancho, NM
kudos:2
Reviews:
·CableOne
reply to mylesw1
I believe that Qwest is only leasing modems right now. I also have the Zyxel Q100 modem, but I got it when they were still selling them. They are not wireless, and I have it bridged to my router anyway.

If you search for it, I believe that you will only find them for sale on eBay or possibly on Craigslist. I have had it for 10 months now with VDSL2 and no problems.

You can also try a Qwest store, for I believe they are independently owned, and they may possibly sell one to you; only a guess.
--
If you need a re-format, just ask and I'll do it. If you don't need one, just give me 5 minutes with your computer, and you will.

mylesw1

join:2009-06-11
reply to mylesw1
Thanks to all for this. I managed to pickup a Q1000 standard Qwest modem on Craigslist for $30 so I'm set. It has wireless, but I probably won't use it. But certainly beats the $7 per month charge they want slug you for it.