Search similar:

uniqs

Grothendieck
Premium Member
join:2002-07-28
Miami, FL

Grothendieck

Premium Member

Alcohol in a party where there will be people under 21?

A professor in the math department is preparing a party/bbq at his house where all the math majors in the department are attending (we are all really close with this professor). Some of the undergrads are under 21 and will be attending.

The professor wishes to have alcohol for those over 21 but he is worried about the presence of the underages. We do not know what the law is regarding this issue. It is obvious those under 21 cannot legally drink, but as the professor put it: "I am not sure that the promise of a student not to drink would be enough".

So how does this work? Is it allowed to have alcohol in the party as long as a student promises he will not drink? Or is that "promise" irrelevant? What if that promise is not kept, does the responsibility fall on the host (professor) or on the individual?

Thanks.

jjoshua
Premium Member
join:2001-06-01
Scotch Plains, NJ

jjoshua

Premium Member

It is on the professor to ensure that he is not providing alcohol to minors.

TheBionic
Funkier than a mohair disco ball.
Premium Member
join:2009-07-06
united state

TheBionic to Grothendieck

Premium Member

to Grothendieck
There can be alcohol. The minors just aren't allowed to drink it. No promises needed. If a minor gets caught drunk on the road and tells the cops he got plowed at the party, the prof can probably be held liable. But I think you're both overthinking the situation. Just keep an eye on everyone and don't let the minors drink. There's no law in the country that I know of that says minors and alcohol can't be at the same house.

Gbcue
Premium Member
join:2001-09-30
Santa Rosa, CA

Gbcue to jjoshua

Premium Member

to jjoshua
said by jjoshua:

It is on the professor to ensure that he is not providing alcohol to minors.

Edrick
I aspire to tell the story of a lifetime
Premium Member
join:2004-09-11
San Diego, CA

Edrick to Grothendieck

Premium Member

to Grothendieck
If the minor promises not to drink and does the professor is still responsible. It's his responsibility to make sure he doesn't have anyone under age drinking. However this isn't CampusPD and you aren't a bunch of rowdy college kids. You're math nerds who will probably get into a rowdy debate over some true equation. So the likely hood of police involvement is slim.

EveryName
Premium Member
join:2001-12-05
Montreal

EveryName to Grothendieck

Premium Member

to Grothendieck
This would never happen in Canada.

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium Member
join:2000-08-05
united state

Snakeoil to Grothendieck

Premium Member

to Grothendieck
One thing he can do is hire bartender[s]. Then have the underage people wear a wrist band. Or give out tickets to all those 21 and older and have the bartenders card everyone.
This is one of the reasons why many companies stopped serving booze during company parties. That and the liability they would be under if the person got into an accident or a DUI.

I know if my kids have a party at my house, and kids get drunk, etc. I and my wife are responsible, even if we weren't aware of the party.

way2evil
Premium Member
join:2007-09-14
New York, NY

way2evil to Grothendieck

Premium Member

to Grothendieck
Wristbands and have the alcohol served, not out in the open.

The Pig
I know you want to be me
Premium Member
join:2009-09-11

The Pig to TheBionic

Premium Member

to TheBionic
said by TheBionic:

If a minor gets caught drunk on the road and tells the cops he got plowed at the party, the prof can probably be held liable.

M A R S
Premium Member
join:2001-06-15
Long Island

M A R S to way2evil

Premium Member

to way2evil
said by way2evil:

Wristbands and have the alcohol served, not out in the open.

This
raster44
join:2003-09-07
Niagara Falls, NY

raster44 to Grothendieck

to Grothendieck
The responsibility falls on the host (professor) as he is giving the party. Why even supply alcoholic beverages if there is any question that attendees will not be responsible adults.

My real opinion, as I grew up when legal drinking age was 18 in New York, is that you can drive, vote, sign a legal contract, and die for your country at 18.... but can't drink is a lot of hor$$sh$$!

As for Canada, back then .... drinking age was 21 and they would come to US to drink and had a designated driver to get back into Canada as the Canadian Customs would check all the vehicles for drunks. Man they were strict. Over in the US, I never knew anyone who got charged for drunk driving. But had three friends who died driving drunk, one who drove into the Niagara River and drowned. We'd end the night at Your Host Restaurant for breakfast and sometimes the cops would drive a drunk home, leaving his car at the restaurant. My neighbors kid (20) came home this Sunday morning and parked his car on his Mothers flowers and the hedges along the drive. All hell broke out when his parents left for church. He was out there in his underwear moving the car and fixing the flowers. Crazy!

Grothendieck
Premium Member
Miami, FL

Grothendieck

Premium Member

I see many people recommending the wristband thing, and while I agree it is the safest way to go, I think it is ridiculous that one has to go to such extremes...

At least I now know how the law works in this cases and will be telling the professor so that he makes the decision since it will be his responsibility after all.

Nsane_iceman
Premium Member
join:2001-02-26
North Richland Hills, TX

Nsane_iceman to Grothendieck

Premium Member

to Grothendieck
Under 21 folks get a black 'X' on both of their hands with a king size sharpie.
See someone with an alcoholic drink and a black 'X' on their hand, and they're seen out...

Gbcue
Premium Member
join:2001-09-30
Santa Rosa, CA

Gbcue

Premium Member

said by Nsane_iceman:

See someone with an alcoholic drink and a black 'X' on their hand, and they're seen out...

This works as well.

way2evil
Premium Member
New York, NY

way2evil to Nsane_iceman

Premium Member

to Nsane_iceman
Thats a stupid idea as the sharpie is removable with some soap and water. Wristbands given only to those over 21 are much better as they are unobtainable to someone under 21 unless one of the adults gives up theres (which hopefully none would).
billydunwood
join:2008-04-23
united state

billydunwood

said by way2evil:

Thats a stupid idea as the sharpie is removable with some soap and water. Wristbands given only to those over 21 are much better as they are unobtainable to someone under 21 unless one of the adults gives up theres (which hopefully none would).

Because wristbands aren't removable at all right?

way2evil
Premium Member
New York, NY

way2evil

Premium Member

What would be the point to remove your wristband? With no wristband you get no alcohol.
billydunwood
join:2008-04-23
united state

billydunwood

said by way2evil:

What would be the point to remove your wristband? With no wristband you get no alcohol.

I didn't read it thoroughly. I assumed you said giving wristbands to people under 21. Now that I read your response thoroughly, I agree with it

Green Day
Premium Member
join:2006-09-03
Phoenix, AZ

Green Day

Premium Member

said by billydunwood:

said by way2evil:

I didn't read it thoroughly. I assumed you said giving wristbands to people under 21. Now that I read your response thoroughly, I agree with it

Even then, if someone cared enough, all they'd have to do is take theirs off and give it to a minor to wear.
sailor
Premium Member
join:2003-10-21
Long Island

sailor to Grothendieck

Premium Member

to Grothendieck
Not like the kind of get together your professor is having but it does have to do with Florida laws.

»m.marconews.com/news/201 ··· penalty/

way2evil
Premium Member
New York, NY

way2evil to Green Day

Premium Member

to Green Day
Then they get no alcohol and get to be responsible for giving alcohol to a minor.
99553123 (banned)
join:2011-05-01

99553123 (banned) to Nsane_iceman

to Nsane_iceman
said by Nsane_iceman:

It should be the other way around. In bars/nightclubs that allow those under 21 to enter(everyone must be 18 or older) only those 21 and over get stamps(no stamp, no alcohol), they do not wash off easy, it usually takes a couple days unless you intentionally scrub at it.

99553123 (banned) to Grothendieck

to Grothendieck
Have you gone to a family function where alcohol is served AND there are minors present? How was it handled under those conditions?

I would assume(yeah I know) Math majors would be a bit more mature than the average college student.

CylonRed
MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
·Metronet

CylonRed

MVM

quote:
Have you gone to a family function where alcohol is served AND there are minors present? How was it handled under those conditions?
Most of the time those situations would have parents present and it is up to them to be responsible for their kids although the person giving the party will still be ultimately responsible.

I would never give my niece and nephew alcohol but my kids could be different. I should be able to decide if they can drink alcohol (I firmly believe in the Europe view of alcohol).
Bobcat79
Premium Member
join:2001-02-04

Bobcat79 to Grothendieck

Premium Member

to Grothendieck
said by Grothendieck:

At least I now know how the law works in this cases and will be telling the professor so that he makes the decision since it will be his responsibility after all.

Your math professor isn't smart enough to find out the law on his own?

How many people will be at the party?

Grothendieck
Premium Member
Miami, FL

Grothendieck to 99553123

Premium Member

to 99553123
said by 99553123:

I would assume(yeah I know) Math majors would be a bit more mature than the average college student.

Yes I have but in those situations anyone around 15 or older, the parents allow them to drink non-excessively. But its just another culture.

Actually, when we have been to reunions in non-family houses, and any minor wants to drink and asks for a beer etc, the host always asks the parents if they let them. If the parents allow them (which is very common in such social gatherings) then the host just gives the beer to the minor. I guess its assumed that the responsibility would be within the parents (as i thought) but after reading the responses here, I see that the host is ultimately responsible.

Anyways, as much as I disagree with the law, and obviously my professor too since he is from european country, no one wants to get in trouble.

Kenash0713
join:2011-05-24
Beantown, MA

Kenash0713 to Grothendieck

to Grothendieck
said by Grothendieck:

I see many people recommending the wristband thing, and while I agree it is the safest way to go, I think it is ridiculous that one has to go to such extremes...

What's extreme about following the law LuisRodg? That's just playing by the rules to cover your six. The simple solution is don't allow anyone under 21. The next best would be don't serve Alcohol at all. The next would be just serve to everyone regardless of age and go to jail for it. The last would be to avoid the extreme stuff like going to jail then wristbands are the way to go.

Grothendieck
Premium Member
Miami, FL

Grothendieck

Premium Member

said by Kenash0713:

said by Grothendieck:

What's extreme about following the law LuisRodg? That's just playing by the rules to cover your six. The simple solution is don't allow anyone under 21. The next best would be don't serve Alcohol at all. The next would be just serve to everyone regardless of age and go to jail for it. The last would be to avoid the extreme stuff like going to jail then wristbands are the way to go.

This will just be a social gathering between friends in the math department. Not a club, for which the wristbands would be appropiate.

In my opinion, wristbands or X marks is extreme for a regular social gathering. But you dont have to agree with me.

way2evil
Premium Member
New York, NY

way2evil

Premium Member

So then maybe you are better off without the alcohol. You dont need it to have a good time.

Kenash0713
join:2011-05-24
Beantown, MA

Kenash0713 to Grothendieck

to Grothendieck
said by Grothendieck:

said by Kenash0713:

said by Grothendieck:

This will just be a social gathering between friends in the math department. Not a club, for which the wristbands would be appropiate.

In my opinion, wristbands or X marks is extreme for a regular social gathering. But you dont have to agree with me.

So you've eliminated one option, wristbands/marks. Now you have no alcohol, no one under 21, or do nothing and risk legal issues left to pick from. I personally did the bulk of my drinking under 21.