uniqs
share rss forum feed

way2evil
Premium
join:2007-09-14
New York, NY
kudos:1
reply to Green Day

Re: Alcohol in a party where there will be people under 21?

Then they get no alcohol and get to be responsible for giving alcohol to a minor.

join:2011-05-01
reply to Nsane_iceman
said by Nsane_iceman:

Under 21 folks get a black 'X' on both of their hands with a king size sharpie.
See someone with an alcoholic drink and a black 'X' on their hand, and they're seen out...

It should be the other way around. In bars/nightclubs that allow those under 21 to enter(everyone must be 18 or older) only those 21 and over get stamps(no stamp, no alcohol), they do not wash off easy, it usually takes a couple days unless you intentionally scrub at it.

join:2011-05-01
reply to Moropo
Have you gone to a family function where alcohol is served AND there are minors present? How was it handled under those conditions?

I would assume(yeah I know) Math majors would be a bit more mature than the average college student.

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
quote:
Have you gone to a family function where alcohol is served AND there are minors present? How was it handled under those conditions?
Most of the time those situations would have parents present and it is up to them to be responsible for their kids although the person giving the party will still be ultimately responsible.

I would never give my niece and nephew alcohol but my kids could be different. I should be able to decide if they can drink alcohol (I firmly believe in the Europe view of alcohol).
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

Bobcat79
Premium
join:2001-02-04
reply to Moropo
said by Moropo:

At least I now know how the law works in this cases and will be telling the professor so that he makes the decision since it will be his responsibility after all.

Your math professor isn't smart enough to find out the law on his own?

How many people will be at the party?

Moropo
Premium
join:2002-07-28
Reviews:
·AT&T Southeast
·America Online
reply to 99553123
said by 99553123:

I would assume(yeah I know) Math majors would be a bit more mature than the average college student.

Yes I have but in those situations anyone around 15 or older, the parents allow them to drink non-excessively. But its just another culture.

Actually, when we have been to reunions in non-family houses, and any minor wants to drink and asks for a beer etc, the host always asks the parents if they let them. If the parents allow them (which is very common in such social gatherings) then the host just gives the beer to the minor. I guess its assumed that the responsibility would be within the parents (as i thought) but after reading the responses here, I see that the host is ultimately responsible.

Anyways, as much as I disagree with the law, and obviously my professor too since he is from european country, no one wants to get in trouble.
--
B.S. in Mathematics
Graduate student: M.S. in Mathematics

Kenash0713

join:2011-05-24
Beantown, MA
reply to Moropo
said by Moropo:

I see many people recommending the wristband thing, and while I agree it is the safest way to go, I think it is ridiculous that one has to go to such extremes...

What's extreme about following the law LuisRodg? That's just playing by the rules to cover your six. The simple solution is don't allow anyone under 21. The next best would be don't serve Alcohol at all. The next would be just serve to everyone regardless of age and go to jail for it. The last would be to avoid the extreme stuff like going to jail then wristbands are the way to go.
--
"Let blockheads read what blockheads wrote" - Warren Buffet

Moropo
Premium
join:2002-07-28
Reviews:
·AT&T Southeast
·America Online
said by Kenash0713:

said by Moropo:

I see many people recommending the wristband thing, and while I agree it is the safest way to go, I think it is ridiculous that one has to go to such extremes...

What's extreme about following the law LuisRodg? That's just playing by the rules to cover your six. The simple solution is don't allow anyone under 21. The next best would be don't serve Alcohol at all. The next would be just serve to everyone regardless of age and go to jail for it. The last would be to avoid the extreme stuff like going to jail then wristbands are the way to go.

This will just be a social gathering between friends in the math department. Not a club, for which the wristbands would be appropiate.

In my opinion, wristbands or X marks is extreme for a regular social gathering. But you dont have to agree with me.
--
B.S. in Mathematics
Graduate student: M.S. in Mathematics

way2evil
Premium
join:2007-09-14
New York, NY
So then maybe you are better off without the alcohol. You dont need it to have a good time.

Kenash0713

Beantown, MA
reply to Moropo
said by Moropo:

said by Kenash0713:

said by Moropo:

This will just be a social gathering between friends in the math department. Not a club, for which the wristbands would be appropiate.

In my opinion, wristbands or X marks is extreme for a regular social gathering. But you dont have to agree with me.

So you've eliminated one option, wristbands/marks. Now you have no alcohol, no one under 21, or do nothing and risk legal issues left to pick from. I personally did the bulk of my drinking under 21.
--

John Galt
Forward, March
Premium
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp
kudos:8
reply to way2evil
said by way2evil:

So then maybe you are better off without the alcohol. You dont need it to have a good time.

This.

Bobcat79
Premium
join:2001-02-04
reply to Kenash0713
said by Kenash0713:

I personally did the bulk of my drinking under 21.

I did too, but the drinking age was 18 then. And I think the allowed BAC for driving was .15%.

I still think the OP's situation depends on how many people will be attending. If there's 10 people, it will be easy to make sure the kids don't drink. If there are 50 people, that's another matter.

Bill or Will
Bill or Will Willy J to you LOL
Premium
join:2002-05-26
Lumberton, TX
reply to bionicRod
Actually people under 21 can drink but you cannot purchase it

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County
Depends on the state. Some states allow parents to decide if an underage person can drink - other states it is outright illegal.
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

Alcohol
Premium
join:2003-05-26
Climax, MI
kudos:4
reply to Moropo
She told me she was over 21.
--
I found the key to success but somebody changed the lock.

Bill or Will
Premium
Lumberton, TX
reply to CylonRed
Are liquor laws federally regulated? I remeber when I was 15 and 16 being outside my friend's house having a few beers with my buddies the cops roll by stop and say just don't cause any disturbances and left and yes I bought the beer being 15 and 16 years of age

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County
No - they are state regulated. 15 states and DC do not allow drinking by minors at all. Also depends on the local cops obviously. In my area - if caught with alcohol or drinking without parents then usually they make you pour out the alcohol. Worse things will happen depending on circumstances.

There is a federal law making the age to buy at 21 but actually drinking (and in one case possession\consumption) is state dependent.

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legal_drinking_age

quote:
The drinking age can be different from the age at which a person is permitted to buy alcohol, or to drink alcohol in a public place, such as a bar or pub, or to drink in private such as the home
US laws in general:
quote:

The National Minimum Drinking Age Act of 1984 states that revenue will be withheld from states that allow the purchase of alcohol by anyone under the age of 21. Prior to the effective date of that Act, the drinking age varied from state to state. Some states do not allow those under the legal drinking age to be present in liquor stores or in bars (usually, the difference between a bar and a restaurant is that food is served only in the latter). Contrary to popular belief, since the act went into law, few states prohibit minors and young adults from consuming alcohol in private settings. As of January 1, 2010, 15 states and the District of Columbia ban underage consumption outright, 17 states do not specifically ban underage consumption, and the remaining 18 states have family member and/or location exceptions to their underage consumption laws.

Federal law explicitly provides for religious, medical, employment and private club possession exceptions; as of 2005, 31 states have family member and/or location exceptions to their underage possession laws. However, non-alcoholic beer in many (but not all) states, such as Idaho, Texas, and Maryland, is considered legal for minors (those under the age of 21).[14]

By a judge's ruling, South Carolina appears to allow the possession and consumption of alcohol by those 18 to 20 years of age though a circuit court judge said otherwise.[15]
--
Brian

Bill or Will
Premium
Lumberton, TX
to respond to that quote you made about a public place such as a bar or pub those places are really private property open to the public to really be something public it would be a city park or town library etc

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County
Bars and restaurants are open to the public - they are just as public as the park. They aren't really talking about ownership but drinking taking place out on the public\open. Where the general public is welcome...

The VAST majority of the local bars and restaurants are public - very few are truly private. Heck - I can only think of one in the area I live that would be private and I am not truly sure it is really private. Clubs can have private places to meet and have to be a member to be served but even most golf courses around me you can dine at the restaurant without being a member.
--
Brian

Bill or Will
Premium
Lumberton, TX
I mean if it is privately owned but open to the public they can kick you out of anywhere for even having an eyelash out of place

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ
reply to CylonRed
the federal law withholds federal funds from states with a drinking age less that 21, but it is otherwise the state's right to set the drinking age and enforcement.
--
Standard disclaimers apply.
Atomic batteries to power. Turbines to speed.

Shadow01
Premium
join:2003-10-24
Wasteland
reply to way2evil
said by way2evil:

Thats a stupid idea as the sharpie is removable with some soap and water. Wristbands given only to those over 21 are much better as they are unobtainable to someone under 21 unless one of the adults gives up theres (which hopefully none would).

Ok, just cut the hands off of the ones under 21 and they wont be able to hold a beer... How about not having alcohol or telling the under 21 that they can't attend.
All of the legalities fall on the Professor, let him make a choice that is best for him regardless of how that affects the attendees.
--
Clouds in my coffee...

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ
use the beer budget on a couple of strippers instead.

craig70130
Premium
join:2004-04-27
New Orleans, LA
reply to Moropo
Problem I see is if someone under 21 shows up intoxicated or gets drunk after leaving and gets in a wreck and they find out he was at the party, they are going to come after the host, even it the person wasn't drinking at the party. Happens all the time. Personal injury lawyers will shake every tree they can find and go after everything that falls out.

The host would have to convince a jury that the person didnt' drink at his shindig and that would be almost impossible to do. An attorney could always argue that an of-age friend could have been giving it to him.

John Galt
Forward, March
Premium
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp
kudos:8
said by craig70130:

Personal injury lawyers will shake every tree they can find and go after everything that falls out.

Including the University...

VodkeIsClear

@comcast.net
reply to Moropo
Friend of mine hosted a party. This was high school seniors in a nice neighborhood. She only allowed ONE entrance / exit. Kids left their coats near the front door. She insisted on NO ins and outs - meaning if they are marked when they come in the first time. then leave and then come back they are not allowed back in.
Turned out that kids drank just before they arrived. Some came in with CLEAR water bottles with vodka. None of the bottles were sniffed or denied. Three kids got very sick - one turned blue and passed out. We thought he was choking on vomit and called the ambulance who in turn contacted the police and wrote a ticket to my friend, claiming she knew the kids were drinking - which was not true.
Upon going to the initial hearing, the city attorney claimed the judge will accept a plea bargain. In front of the judge, this was not the case, and the judge claimed this was a minor who went to the hospital, and would not allow this case to 'slip' by.

SO the attorney she hired to defend herself and the city attorney were mistaken on how the judge would rule. She was looking down a $10,000 - $20,000 legal problem. The hearing was adjourned for another week, and when the judge adjourned, she dropped the case.

Note - the parent who was ticketed NEVER had a case or complaint against her or her family in the past. She was not a regular in the court house. The total cost for the case was $2500 for lawyer and three days of effort, four weeks of fear.

Here is the lesson learned - don't have booze for minors at your party. Don't allow any kind of drinking. If they want to drink, have them go to a bar afterwards to figure out how they will party.
You have no idea how much the legal fees will cost, and you have no idea how the judge will rule. The professor is being smart in this case.

DataRiker
Premium
join:2002-05-19

3 edits

1 recommendation

reply to Moropo
This is retarded.

A math professor can't figure out how to be an adult and have a party?

If your professor needs advice on how to tie his shoes let me know.

Kenash0713

Beantown, MA
said by DataRiker:

This is retarded.

A math professor can't figure out how to be an adult and have a party?

If your professor needs advice on how to tie his shoes let me know.

I wasn't going to go that far but I was wondering the same thing initially. "Why is a student advising a professor?" was my original thought.
--

Wranthis

join:2009-09-21
Altoona, WI
reply to Moropo
Where I used to work, a small sandwich/coffee shop, we had Christmas parties where the owners bought several kegs and bottles of top-shelf liquor for the staff, which was 90% college students. The owners served alcohol to anyone that wanted it, age be damned, even buying us cabs if we got too drunk to drive back to campus/home/the next party.

Regarding customers, I was told to card people that I don't recognize, nothing more.

Members of "the band" (it was also a venue, so weekends there was live music) also got some free beers, no ID required.

Such is life in Wisconsin, apparently.

PS- Another nice thing about WI, I can go to a bar and get a pitcher of beer for $5. 10oz glasses are $.75 cents.

t42n24t

join:2011-05-29
Louisville, KY
reply to way2evil
In my opinion,
1. Yes, the prof. could and would be respondsible, should ANYONE leaving his party have an accident,weather over or under 21.

2.Wristbands for those over 21,sounds like a good idea,however thats not to say someone of age gets alcohol for a minor,pouring it over into a cup thats not see-thur.

3.You could collect all car keys from minors, then observe them upon request of keys being returned.You can buy breath test kits at walmarts,yes it might cost a bit,but far less than being sued over an accident.

(sorry about all spelling misstakes)