how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Vertigo1019

join:2010-11-11
Farmington, ME

[connectivity] DSL connection issues

Hello I am having issues where my DSL light goes out and tells me I am not connected to a DSL line. I also have issues where my dsl modem freezes or my line just disconnects 5 times a day.

one more thing I am having is my downloads when its working are 60-100K instead of 300+.

Transceiver Statistics
Transceiver Revision A2pB020b3.d20h
Vendor ID Code 4D54
Line Mode ADSL_2plus
Data Path FAST

Transceiver Information Down Stream Path Up Stream Path
DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec) 3547 912
Margin (dB) 14.3 10.4
Line Attenuation (dB) 50.5 26.2
Transmit Power (dBm) 15.9 12.6

tschmidt
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
kudos:9
Reviews:
·FirstLight Fiber
·Hollis Hosting
·G4 Communications
What speed plan do you have? Looks like something faster then 3000/768 but modem is syncing at around that rate. Sync speed for 3000/769 plan is 3360/864 (you are on ADSL2+ so sync can vary by a little. At 50.5 dB of attenuation your line is probably 13-14kf. That is usually too long for even 3000/768 package much less anything faster.

Best case transfer speed speed for FairPoint DSL is 85.6% of sync speed (TCP/IP/PPPoE/ATM overhead). So given your sync speed down load should be about 3 Mbps (380 kBps) and upload 780 kbps (98 kBps).

Looks like you have two problems:
1) Line is not able to sync at proper speed
2) Congestion within the network is degrading thruput.

Try running traceroute (tracert in Windows) to stable sites like Broadband reports. You can also run the line quality test from »/tools

Latency should slowly increase with distance and hop count. Sudden unexplained jump typically means congestion at that hop or previous.

From previous posts in the FairPoint forum there was a massive fiber cut in New York that negatively affected FairPoint.

/tom

Vertigo1019

join:2010-11-11
Farmington, ME
reply to Vertigo1019
Fairpoint sent some one out a few days ago to fix my line.
Fairpoint tech said that my line was all messed up thanks to the in house line being old and can't handle all of the phones and what not on the line at the same time.

I was getting issues where my phone line would suddenly drop and I would either here a dial up internet sound or my DSL box would say I am not connected to a DSL line.

Fairpoint decided to give me a direct line from the box outside to the router and I have not had any issues sense