Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

sleuth
Premium
join:2001-08-30
West Des Moines, IA

Pressure Wash, cost?

I just recently bought a house in WDM, IA and got a recent quote on an exterior pressure wash. They quoted me at $420 ($300 after coupon), like wtf? Anyway, I told them in advance I had a livingsocial coupon I purchased that gave me $120 off, and I feel like they intentionally inflated the price to cover the loss or difference. Am I wrong? I have no idea what it should cost, but I know I can buy a pressure washer for $150 new, or even rent one for $50.

What are the typical costs associated with this? I have a 2 story home, that is about 1900sq ft. I went through Window Genie.

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium
join:2000-08-05
Mentor, OH
kudos:1

You can get a "decent" pressure washer for about 200 bucks or less.
Add the detergents and you'd still save money, if you could do it yourself, or maybe hire a couple of Teens to do it.

The price maybe high for a few reasons:
1]Did it include clean up.
2]Insurance to cover any damage they may do while cleaning the house.
3]Are they spraying around windows? Were they going to check the windows to make sure they would seal tight so no water got inside the house?

Things like that, plus padding the bill.
--
To All Real Dads. For All Real Moms Every Real
Service.

sleuth
Premium
join:2001-08-30
West Des Moines, IA

said by Snakeoil:

You can get a "decent" pressure washer for about 200 bucks or less.
Add the detergents and you'd still save money, if you could do it yourself, or maybe hire a couple of Teens to do it.

The price maybe high for a few reasons:
1]Did it include clean up.
2]Insurance to cover any damage they may do while cleaning the house.
3]Are they spraying around windows? Were they going to check the windows to make sure they would seal tight so no water got inside the house?

Things like that, plus padding the bill.

Some valid points

1) I would think any cleaning service would inherently include clean up haha
2) Not sure
3) No windows, just the exterior vinyl siding.

I would have to recheck the insurance thing, but the website made no mention of it, nor did the estimate that was emailed to me. It just seemed like a ridiculous overpriced estimate that was likely inflated due to the livingsocial coupon. There's another livingsocial coupon out there I saw today for power wash for $45 ($90 value), that includes homes up to 1800sq ft. That's what had me initially thinking I was getting ripped off.

What a waste of money to buy that deal. Predatory marketing to lure people in to buy the coupon and inflate the price of service to reduce loss. Now I know to avoid service deals for the future, unless it's inclusive of the service, not applied towards the service fee.

Pacrat
Old and Cranky
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-10
Cortland, OH
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to sleuth

No matter how you look at it, it's an all-day job to do a two story house. I know... a couple of years ago I had my place painted, and they pressure-washed the whole thing the day before they actually started any painting. A strong pressure washer can do considerable damage to siding, soffet, fascia, etc., if they aren't careful. I cannot speak to the coupon discount, but I don't think it's too over-priced... what they quoted you.
--
"I am a man of fixed and unbending principles, the first of which is to be flexible at all times.”