spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

snickstx

join:2005-10-08
Fort Worth, TX

[DISH] DISH Receiver with DirecTV Dish & LNB Possible?

I'm really cheap.

I have an old DirecTV round dish and single LNB on my house. Can it be repointed and used for DISH service? If not, can I just replace the LNB?

sven_kirk3

join:2002-07-23
Lithia Springs, GA

No, you need a Dish satellite.

guhuna
Premium
join:2001-03-31
Port Costa, CA

Incorrect, a single 18" dish WILL work with E*. It has to have the single LNB though. It will only point at one orbital location and dish has three so you would get some stations but not all.

Hayward
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL
kudos:1

1 edit
reply to snickstx

However don't let them install a new mast and rip your house up more they are identical.

Switched from DTV to DISH dish years ago and said absolute no to doing that.

Installer was pretty green, and reluctant but told them just DO IT And saved them a lot of work.

But then when shortly after thinking of selling the DTV dish (days you owned the equipment) realized they didn't leave the unused mast behind and had to go get one from them.
--
»haywardm.com (Hayward's Key West)

scooper

join:2000-07-11
Youngsville, NC
kudos:2
reply to snickstx

In general yes - but probably not completely.
Most all Dish subscriptions require at least the Dish 500 (a 2slot dish), and HD usually requires 3 slots on a single dish.

If you're going from SD Diriect TV service to SD Dish service - you should replace the dish and the LNB with their Dish equivalents (the mount and the J pole could be re-used, as well as most likely the RG6 cabling). Anything beyond that - just do it as a new installation.