spc
Search similar:

uniqs
brawnybronco
join:2011-12-14

brawnybronco to iamdrumming

to iamdrumming

Re: ikTel Networks - Niagara ISP

sigh....so what alternatives do we have in the area?

This sort of makes sense, my modem is still synced, just no DNS connection.

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to iamdrumming

Premium Member

to iamdrumming
said by iamdrumming:

It seems like they are gone for good. When you call the number it gives a fast busy signal which usually means the number has been disconnected.

Disconnected numbers don't produce fast busy signals. They produce a "this number is not assigned" message.

A fast busy signal is a network error, most likely meaning that the SIP account that the phone number is tied to can't connect to any device associated with it.
iamdrumming
join:2003-06-08
Niagara Falls, ON

iamdrumming to FiagaraNalls

to FiagaraNalls
I don't think it's a good sign that their site is gone too. Doesn't seem like coincidence.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

said by iamdrumming:

I don't think it's a good sign that their site is gone too. Doesn't seem like coincidence.

You're probably right, but the point I was making is that a fast busy signal doesn't mean that a phone has been disconnected.
lens3002
join:2004-04-13
Thorold, ON

lens3002 to iamdrumming

to iamdrumming
said by iamdrumming:

This is what has got me worried. You cant get through on the phone no website. I hope im wrong, but hmmm.
x01
join:2009-04-06
St Catharines, ON

x01 to iamdrumming

to iamdrumming
said by iamdrumming:

Not really, They host there own website, so if they lost their internet for any reason the site goes down. Same with the phones.
iamdrumming
join:2003-06-08
Niagara Falls, ON

iamdrumming

One thing that always bothered me was Allan's complete lack of communication with his paying customers. I always told him he needs to communicate better. He could come on here and give a statement.

ah yeah
@videotron.ca

ah yeah to x01

Anon

to x01
They don't even answer the phones?

Do your Emails bounce as well?

No reply to anything at all?

Are they on twitter or anything?

vasnished365
@74.198.87.x

vasnished365 to Gone

Anon

to Gone
mines been out too... hmmm...

wonder whats going on...

Ryan72
@primus.ca

Ryan72 to FiagaraNalls

Anon

to FiagaraNalls
I just had the modem I bought from iktel delivered today. So I doubt they are gone for good. I find it more likely that whatever is causing the service to be out, has also taken out their website and phone line. I agree, that some real information would be really nice.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to ah yeah

Premium Member

to ah yeah
said by ah yeah :

Do your Emails bounce as well?

An SMTP server tries for a good 7-10 days before it finally bounces a message due to being unable to contact a server.

Bounces due to an invalid email address are instantaneous, though.
Expand your moderator at work
brawnybronco

to iamdrumming

Re: ikTel Networks - Niagara ISP

said by iamdrumming:

One thing that always bothered me was Allan's complete lack of communication with his paying customers. I always told him he needs to communicate better. He could come on here and give a statement.

I'll take care of the statement... it will be fixed today +/- 6 months
brawnybronco

brawnybronco to Ryan72

to Ryan72
said by Ryan72 :

I just had the modem I bought from iktel delivered today. So I doubt they are gone for good. I find it more likely that whatever is causing the service to be out, has also taken out their website and phone line. I agree, that some real information would be really nice.

I wish I had your optimism.

aus1girl1011
@184.151.61.x

aus1girl1011 to iamdrumming

Anon

to iamdrumming
100% agreed. Please, someone tell us what the heck is going on? a "we're working on issues" would be suffice with me. It's so frustrating when there's ZERO communication

IKHell
@ihost.com

IKHell to FiagaraNalls

Anon

to FiagaraNalls
goin on 12.5 hrs now srsly WTF! Allen go on vacation or sumthin?
brawnybronco

brawnybronco to Ryan72

to Ryan72
said by Ryan72 :

I wish I had your optimism.
brawnybronco

to iamdrumming
said by iamdrumming:

I'll take care of the statement... it will be fixed today +/- 6 months
lens3002
Thorold, ON

lens3002

I guess he's done. No comunication for over 12 hours. Anyone with start?

iktelClient2
@opera-mini.net

iktelClient2 to brawnybronco

Anon

to brawnybronco
Has anyone been able to contact Alan? The support number is still fast busy signal, website is still down. I found he has a linkedin profile "Alan Ik" but I don't have an account so can't contact him through there. Maybe someone else has a linkedin acct? Or can someone in the Falls just go to the office in person? The address is 7116 McLeod Rd, the entrance/door-bell is around back. I don't think they like walk-ups, but this should be an exception!
brawnybronco

brawnybronco to lens3002

to lens3002
said by lens3002:

I guess he's done. No comunication for over 12 hours. Anyone with start?

Don't jump to conclusions just yet, this is par for the course showing the professional customer service Alan and team offer. This thread isn't 73 pages of accolades.

downtown
@cogentco.com

downtown

Anon

my internet is working again!!
lens3002
Thorold, ON

lens3002 to FiagaraNalls

to FiagaraNalls
there web site is now up. HOLY /"&?. I guess i was wrong but i do think it is time to change up.

IktelJoe
@cogentco.com

IktelJoe to FiagaraNalls

Anon

to FiagaraNalls
My is backup and running :P

iktelclient3
@cogentco.com

iktelclient3 to downtown

Anon

to downtown
My Internet Service is back up too! thanks Alan.
Although an outage is rare (never happened to me before, and I've been a client since Feb), maybe Iktel should get a twitter account and post updates to keep people in the loop.... and/or have a backup support email/phone contact, just in case.
DjEclipse
join:2007-11-20
Niagara Falls, ON

DjEclipse to FiagaraNalls

to FiagaraNalls
It seems to be working again as of this morning.

I wouldn't think Allan would just pack up and leave, he has too much time/ money invested into this to just drop everything.

They are still the cheapest ISP for the speeds they offer in the Niagara Region. And reliability hasn't been that bad considering they just started up 1 year ago.

Though it would be good to have some kind of email or website notification for outages like this.

WiMax
join:2003-07-12
Canada

WiMax

said by DjEclipse:

It seems to be working again as of this morning.

I wouldn't think Allan would just pack up and leave, he has too much time/ money invested into this to just drop everything.

Really? Did you know that Allan has already moved to Burlington? And he has moved some of the server farm there to a new office. The company will be out of Niagara Falls soon.

They are still the cheapest ISP for the speeds they offer in the Niagara Region. And reliability hasn't been that bad considering they just started up 1 year ago.

They have been in business 2 years! Reliability not bad? Hello? Four major outages in six months DURING THE DAY and ALL as a result of Allan doing testing and maintenance on the live system? You think that's reliable??

Though it would be good to have some kind of email or website notification for outages like this.

HA! Don't hold your breath. This is what Allan is known for - TOTAL lack of communication. He has no use for social networks and he can't be bothered to build a decent website. I offered to DONATE my professional services to build him an integrated Internet communications system and he said he would do it all himself.

Folks, I received email from Rob at tech support this morning that said,"We're sorry for the inconvenience. We were doing system maintenance. We will send out a mass mailing to all our customers to apologize again".

And that, folks, is as much as we can EVER expect.
loyd
join:2012-09-24
Toronto, ON

loyd

Folks, I received email from Rob at tech support this morning that said,"We're sorry for the inconvenience. We were doing system maintenance. We will send out a mass mailing to all our customers to apologize again".

Hmmm ...., half day system maintenance during the day without warning I work from home and this would have been quite inconvenient if I did not have backup internet.

They should give advance warnings about the maintenance, people who work from home could plan around it.

It's all about communication. Outages are expected, but unplanned needless 16hr outage when you are uploading your PowerPoint presentation or bugfix into release build at deadline day .... ouch

I agree, communication from IKTEL is inadequate. How difficult is to send a mass mail to all subscribers a day ahead ?

Well IKTEL, this will cost you around $400 just from this wallet, will take 12 months promo from Cogeco. Only way to teach you those communication skills.

WiMax
join:2003-07-12
Canada

WiMax

said by loyd:

Hmmm ...., half day system maintenance during the day without warning I work from home and this would have been quite inconvenient if I did not have backup internet.

I also work from home and it was BEYOND inconvenient. I have two clients that are not happy with me because they could not call. One could not even email because her PC is sitting on my workbench. When Allan keeps doing the same things (4 outages in 6mo, all during the day and all because of maintenance and also refuses to communicate before during and after), he obviously is not learning. I learned years ago in a job that it's OK to make mistakes, when you make the same error the second time then there needs to be retraining, when you do it a third time, you are looking for another job. Customers CAN fire their suppliers.

GreenEnvy22
join:2011-08-04
St Catharines, ON

GreenEnvy22 to FiagaraNalls

to FiagaraNalls
I also got a business onto Iktel last year which I am regretting now.
You can't take down an ISP for maintenance in the middle of the day with no warning, especially on a business service.