share rss forum feed

brawnybronco

join:2011-12-14
Reviews:
·ikTel Networks
reply to lens300

Re: ikTel Networks - Niagara ISP

said by lens300:

I guess he's done. No comunication for over 12 hours. Anyone with start?

Don't jump to conclusions just yet, this is par for the course showing the professional customer service Alan and team offer. This thread isn't 73 pages of accolades.

downtown

@cogentco.com

my internet is working again!!

lens300

join:2004-04-13
Thorold, ON
reply to FiagaraNalls

there web site is now up. HOLY /"&?. I guess i was wrong but i do think it is time to change up.

IktelJoe

@cogentco.com
reply to FiagaraNalls

My is backup and running :P

iktelclient3

@cogentco.com
reply to downtown

My Internet Service is back up too! thanks Alan.
Although an outage is rare (never happened to me before, and I've been a client since Feb), maybe Iktel should get a twitter account and post updates to keep people in the loop.... and/or have a backup support email/phone contact, just in case.

DjEclipse

join:2007-11-20
Niagara Falls, ON
reply to FiagaraNalls

It seems to be working again as of this morning.

I wouldn't think Allan would just pack up and leave, he has too much time/ money invested into this to just drop everything.

They are still the cheapest ISP for the speeds they offer in the Niagara Region. And reliability hasn't been that bad considering they just started up 1 year ago.

Though it would be good to have some kind of email or website notification for outages like this.

WiMax

join:2003-07-12
Canada
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable

said by DjEclipse:

It seems to be working again as of this morning.

I wouldn't think Allan would just pack up and leave, he has too much time/ money invested into this to just drop everything.

Really? Did you know that Allan has already moved to Burlington? And he has moved some of the server farm there to a new office. The company will be out of Niagara Falls soon.

They are still the cheapest ISP for the speeds they offer in the Niagara Region. And reliability hasn't been that bad considering they just started up 1 year ago.

They have been in business 2 years! Reliability not bad? Hello? Four major outages in six months DURING THE DAY and ALL as a result of Allan doing testing and maintenance on the live system? You think that's reliable??

Though it would be good to have some kind of email or website notification for outages like this.

HA! Don't hold your breath. This is what Allan is known for - TOTAL lack of communication. He has no use for social networks and he can't be bothered to build a decent website. I offered to DONATE my professional services to build him an integrated Internet communications system and he said he would do it all himself.

Folks, I received email from Rob at tech support this morning that said,"We're sorry for the inconvenience. We were doing system maintenance. We will send out a mass mailing to all our customers to apologize again".

And that, folks, is as much as we can EVER expect.

loyd

join:2012-09-24
Niagara Falls, ON
Reviews:
·Acanac

Folks, I received email from Rob at tech support this morning that said,"We're sorry for the inconvenience. We were doing system maintenance. We will send out a mass mailing to all our customers to apologize again".

Hmmm ...., half day system maintenance during the day without warning I work from home and this would have been quite inconvenient if I did not have backup internet.

They should give advance warnings about the maintenance, people who work from home could plan around it.

It's all about communication. Outages are expected, but unplanned needless 16hr outage when you are uploading your PowerPoint presentation or bugfix into release build at deadline day .... ouch

I agree, communication from IKTEL is inadequate. How difficult is to send a mass mail to all subscribers a day ahead ?

Well IKTEL, this will cost you around $400 just from this wallet, will take 12 months promo from Cogeco. Only way to teach you those communication skills.

WiMax

Canada
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable

said by loyd:

Hmmm ...., half day system maintenance during the day without warning I work from home and this would have been quite inconvenient if I did not have backup internet.

I also work from home and it was BEYOND inconvenient. I have two clients that are not happy with me because they could not call. One could not even email because her PC is sitting on my workbench. When Allan keeps doing the same things (4 outages in 6mo, all during the day and all because of maintenance and also refuses to communicate before during and after), he obviously is not learning. I learned years ago in a job that it's OK to make mistakes, when you make the same error the second time then there needs to be retraining, when you do it a third time, you are looking for another job. Customers CAN fire their suppliers.

GreenEnvy22

join:2011-08-04
St Catharines, ON
reply to FiagaraNalls

I also got a business onto Iktel last year which I am regretting now.
You can't take down an ISP for maintenance in the middle of the day with no warning, especially on a business service.

iamdrumming

join:2003-06-08
Niagara Falls, ON
reply to FiagaraNalls

I totally agree. As with any business, communication with your customers is key. I am so glad I was wrong and it didn't work out like I suspected it would

Sending out a mass email after the fact is not very productive. Keeping your paying customers in the loop is.

WiMax

Canada

You are preaching to the converted Allan is not one of them and he doesn't spend any time here. HE has minimum wage flunkies, like Rob, that do that for him.

iamdrumming

Niagara Falls, ON

said by WiMax:

You are preaching to the converted

You're allowed to "preach" anything in this free speech world

Not preaching at all. Just speaking my mind, like we all are.

lens300

join:2004-04-13
Thorold, ON
reply to FiagaraNalls

Well Im down again and still no phone at there office.

y2kfire

join:2012-09-26

It's back.
This is getting kind of annoying though...

strange eh

@videotron.ca
reply to lens300

said by lens300:

Well Im down again and still no phone at there office.

That is just odd.

Chances are they are just ignoring calls since they know it's down.

What kind of network company relies on a phone system that doesn't work when there's an outage?

Sounds Mickey Mouse.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5ZOcIc_pKk

WiMax

Canada
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable

said by strange eh :

said by lens300:

What kind of network company relies on a phone system that doesn't work when there's an outage?

Answer: iKtel.

Sounds Mickey Mouse.

More like "rinky dink". Don't say Mickey Mouse, that's a complement to them. Do you have any idea how much money Mickey Mouse is worth??

WiMax

Canada
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
reply to brawnybronco

Surprise surprise! A bulk email with apology just arrived. And guess what? Yet another story about what happened. That's only the third story I've heard, although, it's far more consistent with his track record - he now blames a partner and states that they were unavailable until the next morning to fix it. Sure thing. Then he ends with, "We thank you for your patience and will do all we can to ensure this type of disruption does not reoccur." Hmmmm, 7 outages since January and this is the seventh time I've heard, "...so this type of disruption won't occur again".

iamdrumming

Niagara Falls, ON

I got the email as well. I haven't experienced the 7 outages, and I've been with them for over a year now. This is the first major one I can recall. It would be nice to get advance notice though if/when they are doing maintenance. If it was indeed their fault, I would rather them admit it, apologize, then move on. Ongoing deception is no way to run a business.

Mickey Mouse

@videotron.ca
reply to WiMax

said by WiMax:

Surprise surprise! A bulk email with apology just arrived. And guess what? Yet another story about what happened. That's only the third story I've heard, although, it's far more consistent with his track record - he now blames a partner and states that they were unavailable until the next morning to fix it. Sure thing. Then he ends with, "We thank you for your patience and will do all we can to ensure this type of disruption does not reoccur." Hmmmm, 7 outages since January and this is the seventh time I've heard, "...so this type of disruption won't occur again".

What does the Email say about them not answering any phones or taking any calls? Does he say sorry for ignoring all his beloved customers?

Does he state that maybe they will have an alternative way for you to contact them in the future should they choose to ignore you again? Twitter maybe? Or is the entire communication issue just... you know... skirted, like it doesn't exist?

WiMax

Canada
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable

What does the Email say about them not answering any phones or taking any calls? Does he say sorry for ignoring all his beloved customers?
Does he state that maybe they will have an alternative way for you to contact them in the future should they choose to ignore you again? Twitter maybe? Or is the entire communication issue just... you know... skirted, like it doesn't exist?

Nothing, of course! Alan doesn't know what Twitter is. Even if he did, he wouldn't use it. He doesn't use his Facebook!

WiMax

Canada
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable

1 edit
reply to iamdrumming

said by iamdrumming:

I got the email as well. I haven't experienced the 7 outages, and I've been with them for over a year now. This is the first major one I can recall. It would be nice to get advance notice though if/when they are doing maintenance. If it was indeed their fault, I would rather them admit it, apologize, then move on. Ongoing deception is no way to run a business.

Possibly because you were not around. Most were during the day and all as a result of testing and maintenance on live systems. One early in the year, four between March and June and two this week.

iamdrumming

Niagara Falls, ON

said by WiMax:

said by iamdrumming:

Possibly because you were not around. Most were during the day and all as a result of testing and maintenance on live systems. One early in the year, four between March and June and two this week.

That's quite possible. I was probably at work. There is no excuse for doing maintenance on live systems, and blaming someone else if it was indeed their fault.

WiMax

Canada

Iamdrumming, have you tried Start? I've seem some great reviews including one from FTErie and one from Port.

Celery

join:2004-01-19
St Catharines, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
·ikTel Networks
reply to WiMax

What does it say about his choice of "Partner", who doesn't have 24/7 support available?

Also, what does it say about Allan's foresight to think of requiring a contracted 24/7 support instead from some "Partner" who works from 8-4??

Just careless and no thought.

iamdrumming

Niagara Falls, ON
reply to WiMax

said by WiMax:

Iamdrumming, have you tried Start? I've seem some great reviews including one from FT Erie and one from Port.

I have considered Start, but ikTel is still much cheaper for me. It really only has gone down once for me, so I'm going to stay with ikTel.

WiMax

Canada
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
reply to Celery

said by Celery:

What does it say about his choice of "Partner", who doesn't have 24/7 support available?

Also, what does it say about Allan's foresight to think of requiring a contracted 24/7 support instead from some "Partner" who works from 8-4??

Just careless and no thought.

Again, I don't believe anything Alan says anymore. His "partner" is Cogeco. Do you really think that if Cogeco can offer extended tech support hours to the retail customer that the same tech support agents will not be available to TPIA's during the same hours? Other competitors would have filed CRTC complaints long ago if there were issues and Cogeco tech support were only available to them during business hours.

As I said, it's the third story I've heard. First from his own tech agent was, "we were doing system maintenance". Second was from Harvey "it was a problem on the street". Third was from Alan, "Our partner was not available at 5p to help us."

Alan's story simply doesn't hold water. I tend to believe the tech agent because it wouldn't be the first time that Alan has done system maintenance and testing on the live system during the day and it went down.

sypius

join:2012-03-29

1 edit
reply to FiagaraNalls

false alarm

iamdrumming

Niagara Falls, ON

said by sypius:

false alarm

Was there a hiccup, or did it go down again?

Awol

@cogentco.com

Was close for me, I thought he was gone and when wife went to ask he was rude. If this happens much more or my phone stays as crappy as it has been off and on I am gonna switch, my downloads are nothing as of late....