said by miss3411 :

Are they available in Thorold?
;_;

More than likely, yes.
dan991199
join:2007-10-01
St Catharines, ON

dan991199

lens300 lives in thorold and is using iktel.
flipper4
join:2011-09-02
Niagara On The Lake, ON

flipper4 to FiagaraNalls

to FiagaraNalls
Got hooked up about an hour ago. So far so good.
iamdrumming
join:2003-06-08
Niagara Falls, ON

iamdrumming

Looks like I'm dropping Teksavvy as an ISP, and going with Iktel. The fastest speed I can get with Tek is 604kbps

StEC
#Hamont
Premium Member
join:2003-11-27
Hamilton

StEC to FiagaraNalls

Premium Member

to FiagaraNalls
It's been over 2 weeks of service with ikTel and so far I have not had a single problem... speeds have been very consistent and zero downtime! I'm a happy camper
DjEclipse
join:2007-11-20
Niagara Falls, ON

DjEclipse to FiagaraNalls

to FiagaraNalls
I just found out that if you are a customer with Iktel you can get free VOIP phone service.

I made a new thread about it here just in case anyone missed it. the offer is only good till the end of Sept.

»Free VOIP Phone service with Iktel!

silvercat
join:2007-11-07

silvercat to StEC

to StEC
My service is good so far, although i have been noticing evening slowdowns. Not sure if it's local node congestion.

Celery
join:2004-01-19
St Catharines, ON

Celery to FiagaraNalls

to FiagaraNalls
I'll be switching over to Iktel as soon as I can leave Cogeco (Just a bit over 30 days from now). I got fed up with Cogeco's price gouging finally (Am I a masochist? Probably!). In October my price goes up by $4 a month to $60.95.

I called Cogeco, they offered me $5 off for a year. Spoke to Iktel, I can get the same speed of 14Mbps for $35 a month. That's almost half of what Cogeco offers!

I don't know why I waited so long to realize this...
iamdrumming
join:2003-06-08
Niagara Falls, ON

iamdrumming

My activation date is on the 30th with ikTel. I signed up for the 14/1 package. We'll see how it goes. It was nice to meet the owner Allan though. They just need signs for their shop. I had to call the toll-free number to find out exactly which door was theirs

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

Alan is great. A real good guy.
eotsuka
join:2005-08-15

eotsuka to iamdrumming

to iamdrumming
My install date is on the 26th. Let's see how it goes.
flipper4
Niagara On The Lake, ON

flipper4

Got the phone running yesterday. Does anyone here have issues while dialing out? Usually takes around 10secs before the call goes through and starts ringing. Looks like changing the interdigit long timer may resolve this? But I can't login as Admin as looks like it's password protected. Thanks.

silvercat

silvercat

Probably a dialing plan issue..

Change the Dial Plan to this (Note: replace "555" with your area code):

(911S0|<:1555>[2-9]xxxxxx|1[2-9]xx[2-9]xxxxxxS0|[2-9]xx[2-9]xxxxxxS0|*xx|*xx.|[3468]11|822|0|00|[2-9]xxxxxx|4xxx|**275x.|xxxxxxxxxxxx.)

I got this info from the voip.ms wiki:
»wiki.voip.ms/article/Cis ··· ys_PAP2T

I'm not sure what ATA you're using.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

I'd be very careful with that dialing plan since it allows for seven-digit dialing. With two area codes and a third on the way, it may end up causing confusion.
flipper4
Niagara On The Lake, ON

flipper4 to silvercat

to silvercat
I have the PAP2T-NA. I guess I have to find out the admin password to make these changes.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

said by flipper4:

I have the PAP2T-NA. I guess I have to find out the admin password to make these changes.

If it's unlocked it should just be the default admin password.
flipper4
Niagara On The Lake, ON

flipper4

I tried it..didn't work.
flipper4

flipper4

Got an email from allan. They won't give me the password...have to bring my ATA so he can make the changes.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

So the ATA is locked. Hopefully you didn't pay too much money for it, hehe.
eotsuka
join:2005-08-15

eotsuka to FiagaraNalls

to FiagaraNalls
So I just got my service installed and i'm fairly pleased with the result.

Instead of purchasing a modem from them I purchased a modem from someone in the US. The modem is a Comcast branded SB5101, not the approved SB5101N - regardless the internet IS working.

Since I am new to the cable world can someone explain to me what good modem stats are and what are bad ones?

Thanks

Awol
@cogentco.com

Awol

Anon

Last few days running speed test I am only getting like 6-8 mbps when I first got it was steady 16. I am wondering if he is getting more customers then his equipment can handle? If it keeps up this way I am just gonna drop down to a lower tier, no suck paying 50 bucks a month when I am getting the 25 buck a month speeds!

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

Yeah I noticed at my mom's yesterday that she was getting 7-8Mbit/s.

Still, for $35/month for what is effectively unlimited transfer that can peak at 14, it's still not a bad deal. I have to pay $65/month for 10
jfmezei
Premium Member
join:2007-01-03
Pointe-Claire, QC

jfmezei to Awol

Premium Member

to Awol
Therer are a number of 7 digit numbers that still work, notably those which begin with 310. However, depending on the VoIP provider they may or may not work. (some 310 services are regional, so if you are in montreal, you want to be connected to the montreal system, not a system in the city where the VoIP provider is located)

In you are in Québec, you may wish to add 811 (health) and 511 (transport) as valid 3 digit numbers. 311 is also valid on POTS, but I am not sure any VoIP systems support it (it calls your local city town hall).
jfmezei

jfmezei

Premium Member

If they won't give you the password to the ATA, try to do a factory reset. All you really need from them is the SIP server address.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to jfmezei

Premium Member

to jfmezei
said by jfmezei:

Therer are a number of 7 digit numbers that still work, notably those which begin with 310.

310 numbers are really the only ones that you dial as seven digits, and they are the exception to the rule.
said by jfmezei:

In you are in Québec, you may wish to add 811 (health) and 511 (transport) as valid 3 digit numbers. 311 is also valid on POTS, but I am not sure any VoIP systems support it (it calls your local city town hall).

He's in Niagara. No 311 or 811 here. There's 211, though.

silvercat

silvercat to Awol

to Awol
said by Awol :

Last few days running speed test I am only getting like 6-8 mbps when I first got it was steady 16. I am wondering if he is getting more customers then his equipment can handle? If it keeps up this way I am just gonna drop down to a lower tier, no suck paying 50 bucks a month when I am getting the 25 buck a month speeds!

I've been saying this about a month ago since i got ikTel I wasn't sure if it was local node congestion, or congestion at the POI, but always assumed it was the latter. Still unsure exactly what is the cause of it. Similar to what Gone says, it is better than 3 mbit DSL, for around the same price (with dry loop), but at least with 3mbit DSL, there was no congestion. There's also the possibility re: cable of moving to a different independent ISP such as Teksavvy / Ananac / Caneris come December / January (or whenever the CRTC makes its final decision on Cable / DSL wholesale rates), but you look at the problems that Teksavvy is having with some congested POI's, and you wonder if the same thing is going to happen on the Cogeco network.

Wish 25/7 DSL was available in my area..

Also, i can attain 16mbit on the speedtests (through speedtest.net -- Hamilton and Dearborn, MI servers), but only very early in the morning, to perhaps just before noon time, and at some other random times.
flipper4
Niagara On The Lake, ON

flipper4

So other than the 10 sec. delay for a call to go through and starts ringing, now I'm having issues when I get a phone call and can't hear the person on the other line...but they can hear me. Does anybody else have this issue??? Not very impressed so far, might have to go back to Bell. lol

silvercat

silvercat

hi flipper:

Sounds like a NAT issue. Under the "Line 1" or "Line 2" tab, try setting Nat Keep Alive MSG to Keepalive. Or are you unable to change that because you don't have admin access ?

If you are able to change that setting, save it, and don't forget to power-cycle your ATA.
flipper4
Niagara On The Lake, ON

flipper4

Yeah, no admin access. Have to bring my ATA to allan so he can make the changes. Hopefully, that will rectify it.
Now i'm hoping there's a fix to not hearing people when I answer the phone. lol
DjEclipse
join:2007-11-20
Niagara Falls, ON

DjEclipse to flipper4

to flipper4
said by flipper4:

Yo.... so you're on here too. Picked up my modem today. Getting hooked up next week.

Hey Flipper, I've been on here for a few years now. How are things? I just got iktel hooked up, phone being hooked up tomorrow, I hope they get their issues sorted.