how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Rhaith

@cogentco.com
reply to silvercat

Re: ikTel Networks - Niagara ISP

Absolutely getting 16/1, on usenet anyway. Just downloaded 20gigs and towards the end it picked up to 3.5MB/s. Though that may of been sabnzb making a mistake. Fast regardless.

silvercat

join:2007-11-07
reply to lens300

deleted

silvercat

reply to lens300

hi lens:

Then it's probably an issue with my node. Thanks for the feedback.

lens300

join:2004-04-13
Thorold, ON
reply to FiagaraNalls

I'm getting 1.8MB/s on usnet right now

silvercat

reply to silvercat

Yuck ! Usenet speeds are between 170 - 352 KBytes/sec now (10 connections). Speedtest.net (Hamilton test server) pretty much reflect the poor speeds (just got 2.74 mbits/sec on a speedtest). Ping 65 ms.

silvercat

Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to Rhaith

hi Rhaith:

Are you sure you're getting 16/1 consistently, all day long ? The reason that i'm asking, is because as of this moment i'm getting between 300 - 730 KBytes/sec on Usenet (10 connections, with no other internet traffic). It's typically like that, during peak hours. There is also some picture "stuttering", when watching NHL Gamecenter Live, so for me, streaming is affected. Usenet is fine again, during off-peak hours, until after lunch sometime, where speeds start going downhill again (generally), starting in the afternoon. Speeds also get erratic (up and down). I'm just wondering if everyone is experiencing this, or if it's a problem with my local node (congestion).

Rhaith

@cogentco.com
reply to FiagaraNalls

Very happy to give the cogeco the boot! Over a week and getting near 16/1 consistently. Usenet going strong!

flipper4

join:2011-09-02
Niagara On The Lake, ON
reply to DjEclipse

Unfortunately, no it not. Brought the ATA to allan, gave me a new one he programmed. But same thing...takes atleast 10 seconds before a calls goes through.
Yeah, I use Hamilton's server. Still getting really slow speeds...between 2-6 Mbps... Not quite the 16/1 i USED to get.
Bell's been trying to get me to switch back. Offering me really sweet deals. Phone and Internet will be paying only half of what I use to pay..

DjEclipse

join:2007-11-20
Niagara Falls, ON
reply to Awol

said by Awol :

Thanks for the info on the phone DJ, you didn't have to buy any special phones or nothing just the voip thing? I been with Iktel since june and have been waitin to get rid of my bell everything, phone has been last to go.

I found with a little research that you can go 2 ways.

1. Buy a bunch of VOIP phones and put them all over the house/ office.

2. But an ATA VOIP modem and plug a phone into the modem. To expand on that, if you are able to locate the Bell Demarcation point (the point where the main bell line enters your home) and disconnect Bell from your internal phone wiring, you can then have the ATA VOIP modem as your new Demarcation point. Simply plug a phone line form any existing phone jack into the ATA VOIP modem and all your jacks throughout the house will be active. But if you don't disconnect form the outside bell network you will fry the VOIP modem (and it probably wont work in the first place).

Awol

@cogentco.com
reply to DjEclipse

Thanks for the info on the phone DJ, you didn't have to buy any special phones or nothing just the voip thing? I been with Iktel since june and have been waitin to get rid of my bell everything, phone has been last to go.

DjEclipse

Niagara Falls, ON
reply to flipper4

said by flipper4:

Hey Dj,

How's the phone working for ya?

Phone is working well so far, it took a while to find my Demarc from Bell but once I found that I "disconnected" the bell line coming into the house and all phone jacks work as they did before.

I am not experiencing any delay when making calls like you were, has that been fixed for you?

Also, when doing speed tests you have to use the Hamilton location from speedtest.net. The others will give you slow & inaccurate results. results.

flipper4

Niagara On The Lake, ON
reply to flipper4

Hey Dj,

How's the phone working for ya?

flipper4

Niagara On The Lake, ON
reply to iamdrumming

Yeah they were good for me too the first 3 weeks...16/1 as advertised. But I haven't hit 16mpbs for over a week now.

iamdrumming

join:2003-06-08
Niagara Falls, ON
reply to FiagaraNalls

This is my 2nd day with ikTel, and so far, so very good. Speeds are as advertised. Looking to be with them for a very long time.

silvercat

Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to Ger

I haven't experienced any throttling what-so-ever, and Alan even stated that ikTel does not throttle. So i guess the answer to your question is no. However, this could change once the POI in Burlington becomes active for TPIA customers (is it happening sometime in October ?)

DjEclipse

Niagara Falls, ON
reply to Ger

said by Ger:

Anyone know if Cogeco throttles ikTel's customers?

I haven't experienced any throttling, but I don't use torrents.

Ger

join:2007-10-26
Stoney Creek, ON
reply to DjEclipse

Anyone know if Cogeco throttles ikTel's customers?

DjEclipse

Niagara Falls, ON
reply to flipper4

said by flipper4:

Things are good. How are you? Got the Internet hooked up about 4 weeks ago. Got the cable pro... So far sO good. But lately been gettingreally slow results on speedtest. Between 7-9 Mbps .... Was getting the 16 cOnsistently before. But downloading torrents I've been getting 1.9mbps consistently I've been having issues with the phone . Takes about 10 secs for the Call to go through. And issues with not hearing the caller when I pick up the Phone but they can here me. Going to see allan after work so he can make changes on my ATA .... And hopefully resolve the issues.

If you read silvercat's reply he explains the slow speedtest.net's results.

I get my phone hooked up tomorrow so i'll let you know how it goes.

I also heard that if you disconnect the bell line going into your house you can connect the VOIP phone into any phone jack in the house and they will all work.

DjEclipse

Niagara Falls, ON
reply to silvercat

said by silvercat:

hi DjEclipse:

I find that most speedtest websites are unreliable, except for the Hamilton and Dearborn, MI servers on speedtest.net. Most likely the reason for this is because ikTel does not have any equipment at 151 Front St. (only in Hamilton, where there is some kind of transit hub). As a result, this severely restricts the amount of peering that ikTel can do with other carriers. I do not even think they have a presence at Torix. As a result of this, most internet traffic (i guess the way Cogent works ?) gets routed to the U.S. first. Just run some traceroutes to confirm. I believe this also impacts what kind of speeds are displayed on speedtest servers.

For example, a relative of mine who has Teksavvy Cable (24/1), can hit 34 mbit on the Toronto speedtest.net server (hosted by Nexicom). Even right now, i'm only hitting 6.61 mbit on that server. I suspect this has to do with the routing. On the other hand, i'm right now hitting 16 mbit on the Hamilton speedtest.net server. It seems very likely that the Hamilton speedtest.net server is connected to the same transit hub in Hamilton that ikTel's connected to.

But you're right in saying that downloading from Usenet tells the true story. For what it's worth, when i feel i'm hitting congestion, it's reflected in Usenet downloads. For me (with 10 connections), it should hit 1.9 - 2.0 MB/sec, but when there's congestion, even that fluctuates (sometimes around 1.0 - 1.1 MB/sec, and sometimes lower than that).

Thanks for the detailed reply. I had to read it twice to understand what was going on.

I never used the Hamilton server when doing the speedtest, always St. Catharines and Toronto.

It is good to know that the newsgroups is the true test of speed, and I guess the Microsoft DL could have been do to server slow downs on their part?

I will test with Hamilton when I get home this evening and see what that shows.

flipper4

Niagara On The Lake, ON
reply to DjEclipse

Things are good. How are you? Got the Internet hooked up about 4 weeks ago. Got the cable pro... So far sO good. But lately been gettingreally slow results on speedtest. Between 7-9 Mbps .... Was getting the 16 cOnsistently before. But downloading torrents I've been getting 1.9mbps consistently I've been having issues with the phone . Takes about 10 secs for the Call to go through. And issues with not hearing the caller when I pick up the Phone but they can here me. Going to see allan after work so he can make changes on my ATA .... And hopefully resolve the issues.

Celery

join:2004-01-19
St Catharines, ON
reply to FiagaraNalls

Just bit the bullet. Called Cogeco to cancel, sent an email to Iktel to get signed up. Cogeco's disconnecting me on the 27th of October, I'm hoping to be active with Iktel on the 24th.

After 13 years, goodbye, Cogeco!

silvercat

Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to DjEclipse

hi DjEclipse:

I find that most speedtest websites are unreliable, except for the Hamilton and Dearborn, MI servers on speedtest.net. Most likely the reason for this is because ikTel does not have any equipment at 151 Front St. (only in Hamilton, where there is some kind of transit hub). As a result, this severely restricts the amount of peering that ikTel can do with other carriers. I do not even think they have a presence at Torix. As a result of this, most internet traffic (i guess the way Cogent works ?) gets routed to the U.S. first. Just run some traceroutes to confirm. I believe this also impacts what kind of speeds are displayed on speedtest servers.

For example, a relative of mine who has Teksavvy Cable (24/1), can hit 34 mbit on the Toronto speedtest.net server (hosted by Nexicom). Even right now, i'm only hitting 6.61 mbit on that server. I suspect this has to do with the routing. On the other hand, i'm right now hitting 16 mbit on the Hamilton speedtest.net server. It seems very likely that the Hamilton speedtest.net server is connected to the same transit hub in Hamilton that ikTel's connected to.

But you're right in saying that downloading from Usenet tells the true story. For what it's worth, when i feel i'm hitting congestion, it's reflected in Usenet downloads. For me (with 10 connections), it should hit 1.9 - 2.0 MB/sec, but when there's congestion, even that fluctuates (sometimes around 1.0 - 1.1 MB/sec, and sometimes lower than that).

DjEclipse

Niagara Falls, ON
reply to silvercat

said by silvercat:

[att=1]

This is typical of what i'm getting on the Hamilton speedtest.net server (16/1 profile). The Hamilton server has the fastest speeds, and this makes sense, since ikTel's backbone connects to Hamilton, instead of 151 Front Street.

Even with this download (from download.microsoft.com), which you'd think is a really fast server, i'm not really getting more than 1.3 - 1.4 MB/sec -- i should be getting at most 2.0 MB/sec.

The URL i used for download is here:
»techpp.com/2011/02/22/direct-dow···sp1-rtm/

I'd like to point out that i connected a pretty quick laptop, directly to the cable modem, using the provided crossover cable in the cable modem box.

I should also mention that my brother has Teksavvy Cable (15/1), and i'm regularly able to hit over 20 Mbit/sec on the same speedtest servers. Granted, it is using speedboost, but still...

It's possible that i'm suffering from local node congestion, if everyone else's speeds are okay.

I am on the 14Mbps profile and

I have been experiencing slower than expected speeds as well. Last night I was only getting 2-3 Mbps last evening using a few speedtests on this site including cogeco's. When I tried to Dl the windows update you posted the link to I was only getting 500Kb/s.

But the funny thing is I was able to Dl from a newsgroup at 1.7MB/sec which is the full 14Mbps during this time. So I am a little confused.

At 1:30am I ran the same speed tests and I was getting over 10Mbps.

As long as my Dl speeds are as promised for large files I am fine, I don't care that i get slow speeds on speedtests, it is just strange why the speedtests show so slow while the newsgroup Dl's are full speed.

I get my phone hooked up tomorrow and hope I don't experience any problems.

Has anyone spoken to Allan regarding the slow speeds?

DjEclipse

Niagara Falls, ON
reply to flipper4

said by flipper4:

Yo.... so you're on here too. Picked up my modem today. Getting hooked up next week.

Hey Flipper, I've been on here for a few years now. How are things? I just got iktel hooked up, phone being hooked up tomorrow, I hope they get their issues sorted.

flipper4

Niagara On The Lake, ON
reply to silvercat

Yeah, no admin access. Have to bring my ATA to allan so he can make the changes. Hopefully, that will rectify it.
Now i'm hoping there's a fix to not hearing people when I answer the phone. lol

silvercat

Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to flipper4

hi flipper:

Sounds like a NAT issue. Under the "Line 1" or "Line 2" tab, try setting Nat Keep Alive MSG to Keepalive. Or are you unable to change that because you don't have admin access ?

If you are able to change that setting, save it, and don't forget to power-cycle your ATA.

flipper4

Niagara On The Lake, ON
reply to silvercat

So other than the 10 sec. delay for a call to go through and starts ringing, now I'm having issues when I get a phone call and can't hear the person on the other line...but they can hear me. Does anybody else have this issue??? Not very impressed so far, might have to go back to Bell. lol

silvercat

Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to Awol

said by Awol :

Last few days running speed test I am only getting like 6-8 mbps when I first got it was steady 16. I am wondering if he is getting more customers then his equipment can handle? If it keeps up this way I am just gonna drop down to a lower tier, no suck paying 50 bucks a month when I am getting the 25 buck a month speeds!

I've been saying this about a month ago since i got ikTel I wasn't sure if it was local node congestion, or congestion at the POI, but always assumed it was the latter. Still unsure exactly what is the cause of it. Similar to what Gone says, it is better than 3 mbit DSL, for around the same price (with dry loop), but at least with 3mbit DSL, there was no congestion. There's also the possibility re: cable of moving to a different independent ISP such as Teksavvy / Ananac / Caneris come December / January (or whenever the CRTC makes its final decision on Cable / DSL wholesale rates), but you look at the problems that Teksavvy is having with some congested POI's, and you wonder if the same thing is going to happen on the Cogeco network.

Wish 25/7 DSL was available in my area..

Also, i can attain 16mbit on the speedtests (through speedtest.net -- Hamilton and Dearborn, MI servers), but only very early in the morning, to perhaps just before noon time, and at some other random times.

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to jfmezei

said by jfmezei:

Therer are a number of 7 digit numbers that still work, notably those which begin with 310.

310 numbers are really the only ones that you dial as seven digits, and they are the exception to the rule.

said by jfmezei:

In you are in Québec, you may wish to add 811 (health) and 511 (transport) as valid 3 digit numbers. 311 is also valid on POTS, but I am not sure any VoIP systems support it (it calls your local city town hall).

He's in Niagara. No 311 or 811 here. There's 211, though.

jfmezei
Premium
join:2007-01-03
Pointe-Claire, QC
kudos:23
reply to jfmezei

If they won't give you the password to the ATA, try to do a factory reset. All you really need from them is the SIP server address.