uniqs
share rss forum feed

silvercat

join:2007-11-07
reply to flipper4

Re: ikTel Networks - Niagara ISP

Probably a dialing plan issue..

Change the Dial Plan to this (Note: replace "555" with your area code):

(911S0|<:1555>[2-9]xxxxxx|1[2-9]xx[2-9]xxxxxxS0|[2-9]xx[2-9]xxxxxxS0|*xx|*xx.|[3468]11|822|0|00|[2-9]xxxxxx|4xxx|**275x.|xxxxxxxxxxxx.)

I got this info from the voip.ms wiki:
»wiki.voip.ms/article/Cisco_Linksys_PAP2T

I'm not sure what ATA you're using.

flipper4

join:2011-09-02
Niagara On The Lake, ON
reply to eotsuka
Got the phone running yesterday. Does anyone here have issues while dialing out? Usually takes around 10secs before the call goes through and starts ringing. Looks like changing the interdigit long timer may resolve this? But I can't login as Admin as looks like it's password protected. Thanks.

eotsuka

join:2005-08-15
reply to iamdrumming
My install date is on the 26th. Let's see how it goes.

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4
reply to iamdrumming
Alan is great. A real good guy.

iamdrumming

join:2003-06-08
Niagara Falls, ON
reply to Celery
My activation date is on the 30th with ikTel. I signed up for the 14/1 package. We'll see how it goes. It was nice to meet the owner Allan though. They just need signs for their shop. I had to call the toll-free number to find out exactly which door was theirs

Celery

join:2004-01-19
St Catharines, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
·ikTel Networks
reply to FiagaraNalls
I'll be switching over to Iktel as soon as I can leave Cogeco (Just a bit over 30 days from now). I got fed up with Cogeco's price gouging finally (Am I a masochist? Probably!). In October my price goes up by $4 a month to $60.95.

I called Cogeco, they offered me $5 off for a year. Spoke to Iktel, I can get the same speed of 14Mbps for $35 a month. That's almost half of what Cogeco offers!

I don't know why I waited so long to realize this...

silvercat

reply to StEC
My service is good so far, although i have been noticing evening slowdowns. Not sure if it's local node congestion.

DjEclipse

join:2007-11-20
Niagara Falls, ON
reply to FiagaraNalls
I just found out that if you are a customer with Iktel you can get free VOIP phone service.

I made a new thread about it here just in case anyone missed it. the offer is only good till the end of Sept.

»Free VOIP Phone service with Iktel!

StEC
Proud
Premium
join:2003-11-27
GTA
reply to FiagaraNalls
It's been over 2 weeks of service with ikTel and so far I have not had a single problem... speeds have been very consistent and zero downtime! I'm a happy camper
--
Stec-Net Online Community!

iamdrumming

join:2003-06-08
Niagara Falls, ON
reply to flipper4
Looks like I'm dropping Teksavvy as an ISP, and going with Iktel. The fastest speed I can get with Tek is 604kbps

flipper4

join:2011-09-02
Niagara On The Lake, ON
reply to FiagaraNalls
Got hooked up about an hour ago. So far so good.

dan991199

join:2007-10-01
St Catharines, ON
reply to Gone
lens300 lives in thorold and is using iktel.

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
reply to miss3411
said by miss3411 :

Are they available in Thorold?
;_;

More than likely, yes.

miss3411

@cgocable.net
reply to Gone
Are they available in Thorold?
;_;

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
reply to silvercat
You shouldn't get sync at all if you have a filter on the line.

If you're getting the login page, the modem has yet to be provisioned on Cogeco's network. That's all. Since the install date is the 17th they've got a bit of time to do that.

silvercat

reply to DjEclipse
If you don't have an internet filter on your line, at the pole, then it could be possible that you may get connected before a Cogeco Tech comes..

DjEclipse

Niagara Falls, ON
reply to silvercat
said by silvercat:

I wasn't a Cogeco subcriber either, and never got asked for that info, but this could mean that you don't have a filter on your line, at the pole (which is why you may be getting that message).

Oh well, I'll just wait till the 17th, not having the internet at home is a pain in the ass, I hope it is worth it.

silvercat

reply to DjEclipse
I wasn't a Cogeco subcriber either, and never got asked for that info, but this could mean that you don't have a filter on your line, at the pole (which is why you may be getting that message).

DjEclipse

Niagara Falls, ON
reply to StEC
said by StEC:

said by FiagaraNalls :

Howdy, has anyone heard of ikTel networks?

»cable.iktel.ca/index.php

I can't find any info or reviews on them, and their prices seem very good. Has anyone tried them? I've been having so many issues with TekSavvy I'm looking for other options.

Thanks

I was never asked for that info!? I plugged in my modem and within minutes I was online, no need to do anything on my part! Not sure why we had different experiences then?

I called and asked and he said that if you were already an existing cogeco customer switching to iktel your modem may work. But because I had no account with cogeco before (was with teksavvy), I get that screen.

I guess I just have to wait till the 17th.

StEC
Proud
Premium
join:2003-11-27
GTA
reply to FiagaraNalls
said by FiagaraNalls :

Howdy, has anyone heard of ikTel networks?

»cable.iktel.ca/index.php

I can't find any info or reviews on them, and their prices seem very good. Has anyone tried them? I've been having so many issues with TekSavvy I'm looking for other options.

Thanks

I was never asked for that info!? I plugged in my modem and within minutes I was online, no need to do anything on my part! Not sure why we had different experiences then?
--
Stec-Net Online Community!

Dj Eclipse

@telus.com
reply to StEC
said by StEC:

Just got hooked up today connected the modem and within 3mins my internet was working! I'm getting the advertised speed of their standard package 14/1 and what do ya know I have a U.S IP and I'm able to watch Hulu!!! SWEET

How were you able to connect to the net already? I hooked mine up and it is asking for a email/ phone number and password.

dan991199

St Catharines, ON
reply to silvercat
said by silvercat:

[att=1]

[att=2]

Well, it's 3:36 a.m., and speedtests (depending on which speedtest server is chosen) are over the 16 mbit mark (at least for Hamilton, and surprisingly, a couple of servers in Michigan -- Detroit and Dearborn). The ping times to those two American servers is good -- a lot better than to the Oakville, Toronto (Nexicom) and St. Catharines speedtest servers. So it says something about where the routing goes, through the backbone network. One thing that is certain, is that ikTel does not peer at Torix (also because the backbone is not connected to / at 151 Front Street). It seems to use the Cogent backbone network.

Did a traceroute to cbc.ca. The routing went to (presumably) Hamilton, then through Cogent to Buffalo, Albany, JFK, then through the Sprint network to Chicago, then through the Shawcable network to Monitoba (Montana ?), and then the last seen hop was to "rx0sh-cbc-radio-canada.mt.bigpipeinc.com". 22 hops in all.

This also leads me to believe that there was congestion of some kind, somewhere (because speeds are better now). Also, the kind of routing used may contribute to this.

yep its all cogent routed.

silvercat

reply to silvercat

Well, it's 3:36 a.m., and speedtests (depending on which speedtest server is chosen) are over the 16 mbit mark (at least for Hamilton, and surprisingly, a couple of servers in Michigan -- Detroit and Dearborn). The ping times to those two American servers is good -- a lot better than to the Oakville, Toronto (Nexicom) and St. Catharines speedtest servers. So it says something about where the routing goes, through the backbone network. One thing that is certain, is that ikTel does not peer at Torix (also because the backbone is not connected to / at 151 Front Street). It seems to use the Cogent backbone network.

Did a traceroute to cbc.ca. The routing went to (presumably) Hamilton, then through Cogent to Buffalo, Albany, JFK, then through the Sprint network to Chicago, then through the Shawcable network to Monitoba (Montana ?), and then the last seen hop was to "rx0sh-cbc-radio-canada.mt.bigpipeinc.com". 22 hops in all.

This also leads me to believe that there was congestion of some kind, somewhere (because speeds are better now). Also, the kind of routing used may contribute to this.

silvercat

reply to nitzguy

nitzguy, you make a good point, but i don't think they'd include an ethernet cable that can only do 10 mbit in the box of a brand new cable modem (DCM425). Besides i tried that cable, and a cat5e, connected to the router, and direct to the modem.

Speed is better now (almost 2 a.m.), but varies between about 12 mbit to 15 mbit (not the full 16 mbit), so i'm not sure what's going on. The toronto speedtest server (Nexicom) is being really slow for some reason, but if no one else if having this same problem (especially at prime time), then i guess it's a problem with my cable line.

Notice the high pings, except for the Hamilton speedtest server. I'll try to test later in the morning. Also i tested with a desktop, and laptop.

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
reply to nitzguy
said by nitzguy:

Call me crazy, but in your computer check your connection rate...it almost looks like you're connected @ 10mbps full instead of 100mbps full...which would explain why you're only able to get to 1.3MB/s....

He'd only be pulling about 8Mbit/s if Ethernet was running at 10Mbit.

nitzguy
Premium
join:2002-07-11
Sudbury, ON
reply to silvercat
said by silvercat:

[att=1]

This is typical of what i'm getting on the Hamilton speedtest.net server (16/1 profile). The Hamilton server has the fastest speeds, and this makes sense, since ikTel's backbone connects to Hamilton, instead of 151 Front Street.

Even with this download (from download.microsoft.com), which you'd think is a really fast server, i'm not really getting more than 1.3 - 1.4 MB/sec -- i should be getting at most 2.0 MB/sec.

The URL i used for download is here:
»techpp.com/2011/02/22/direct-dow···sp1-rtm/

I'd like to point out that i connected a pretty quick laptop, directly to the cable modem, using the provided crossover cable in the cable modem box.

I should also mention that my brother has Teksavvy Cable (15/1), and i'm regularly able to hit over 20 Mbit/sec on the same speedtest servers. Granted, it is using speedboost, but still...

It's possible that i'm suffering from local node congestion, if everyone else's speeds are okay.

Call me crazy, but in your computer check your connection rate...it almost looks like you're connected @ 10mbps full instead of 100mbps full...which would explain why you're only able to get to 1.3MB/s....

Using the crossover cable would probably do that...since they were only designed to go 10mbps...

Just my $0.05 on the situation here...

silvercat

reply to default0task

This is typical of what i'm getting on the Hamilton speedtest.net server (16/1 profile). The Hamilton server has the fastest speeds, and this makes sense, since ikTel's backbone connects to Hamilton, instead of 151 Front Street.

Even with this download (from download.microsoft.com), which you'd think is a really fast server, i'm not really getting more than 1.3 - 1.4 MB/sec -- i should be getting at most 2.0 MB/sec.

The URL i used for download is here:
»techpp.com/2011/02/22/direct-dow···sp1-rtm/

I'd like to point out that i connected a pretty quick laptop, directly to the cable modem, using the provided crossover cable in the cable modem box.

I should also mention that my brother has Teksavvy Cable (15/1), and i'm regularly able to hit over 20 Mbit/sec on the same speedtest servers. Granted, it is using speedboost, but still...

It's possible that i'm suffering from local node congestion, if everyone else's speeds are okay.

default0task
Premium
join:2002-05-28
Niagara
reply to FiagaraNalls
I have been a steady 1.4 to 1.6 in Niagara Falls.
Speed tests are just a snap shot... try a larger download to get a true idea of your speed.

dan991199

St Catharines, ON
reply to silvercat
said by silvercat:

What's been everyone's experience with ikTel so far ? I myself got hooked up today (16/1). Speedtests (from speedtest.net, using various servers) never really hit 16 mbit download, and ranged anywhere from 8 mbit to around 14 mbit. Also tried streaming with netflix, but it wouldn't switch to High Definition for me. Hope this isn't a case where the current bandwidth capacity isn't enough for the current users tying to use it.

been hitting 1.9 - 2 MB/sec all day on my 16Mbit profile. no problems here.

North East St. Cath

silvercat

reply to silvercat
Even VOIP sounds a bit distorted, if i'm using even 75% of my download bandwidth, so i'm wondering if there's congestion somewhere.