Mod
join:2002-02-08
Purgatory

state to FiagaraNalls

Mod

to FiagaraNalls

(topic move) ikTel Networks - Niagara ISP

Moderator Action
The post that was here (and all followups to it), has been moved offline.
loyd
join:2012-09-24
Toronto, ON

loyd to Chromosome

to Chromosome

Re: ikTel Networks - Niagara ISP

It started around 4pm, but it's unusably slow. SpeedTest does not even load, had to work on this single PC with Wind phone attached.

We have been without internet since 2am last night.

Perhaps this is acceptable in Nigeria, but not here. Who let this guy to Canada ?
Expand your moderator at work

Chromosome
join:2013-01-29

Chromosome to loyd

to loyd

From their website it sounds like services have been fully restored - outage states it was yesterday. My speeds however are still brutally slow. Anyone else experiencing this or has your speed returned to what it was before the outage?

Thx

sandy
@cogentco.com

sandy

Anon

said by Chromosome:

From their website it sounds like services have been fully restored

IP from Washington, DC and speed of about 1kB/sec, even from Google. I don't think it was restored.
sypius
join:2012-03-29

sypius to Chromosome

to Chromosome
My speeds are backup to normal, have you powercycled everything? After outages I always have to powercycle for it to work.

Celery
join:2004-01-19
St Catharines, ON

1 edit

Celery

Disregard.
loyd
join:2012-09-24
Toronto, ON

loyd

Finally got the internet fully working sometimes between 6-8pm last night, so full outage was over 40hrs.
iamdrumming
join:2003-06-08
Niagara Falls, ON

iamdrumming to useless2764

to useless2764
said by useless2764:

A page that isn't made in notepad would be better too, but like that will happen

I'd probably still switch, who knows, there might be even MORE downtime, and that wouldnt be surprising.. inb4 iamdrumming with some undeserved praise

Undeserved praise? You probably missed my many posts that said ikTel's total lack of communication/support is what ticks me off. As I said, ikTel isn't for everyone, and if it doesn't suit you, move along. There are better options out there.

WiMax
join:2003-07-12
Canada

WiMax

said by iamdrumming:

said by useless2764:

A page that isn't made in notepad would be better too, but like that will happen

When you know where freezes over.

Undeserved praise? You probably missed my many posts that said ikTel's total lack of communication/support

You missed the words, "competence, honesty and integrity".
WiMax

WiMax to iamdrumming

to iamdrumming
Me and a friend both have iKtel VOIP. We both lost our service entirely for two days and after it came back, it was unusable for two more days because of extremely poor call quality. Here's a response from Alan to my friend when asked what happened this week.

"There was really no problem with the phone system, it was our internet"

I just received an email from Alan moments ago and part of it said,

"Our phone did not even work, we could not even open up a browser or email."

I was looking forward to cheap Internet but when a company is caught red handed lying to their customers and they also admit that they cannot access their own systems during a failure, then that tells me all I need to know.

Do what you all want, I wait no longer. Start is getting a call from me on Monday.
iamdrumming
Niagara Falls, ON

iamdrumming to FiagaraNalls

to FiagaraNalls
With all due respect, I would of thought you would have been gone months ago, by your many posts on the issues you've been having with them. If you need a more stable company, then obviously ikTel is not for you. I wish you better luck at Start.

Hm
@videotron.ca

Hm to WiMax

Anon

to WiMax
said by WiMax:

Do what you all want, I wait no longer. Start is getting a call from me on Monday.

Let's be honest here. This so-called company really doesn't care or give a damn about it's own customers. And it shows through their actions and how badly they treat people.

This is a shithole of a cheap company. Works one day, doesn't work the next. Have a problem? Too bad.

Company Emails down
Company phones down.
Company ignores its' beloved customers.

This has happened how many times now?

I mean, there is 80 pages of the same thing.

But it seems people who want to save a dollar think it's well worth it. Well, that is, they think it is till their voip doesn't work for a week every 2 months. Or their internet doesn't work 4 days out of every 2 months. Enough people left them, bitched and moaned. They don't have any great following here. And let's be honest, Nor do they care.

WiMax
join:2003-07-12
Canada

WiMax to iamdrumming

to iamdrumming
said by iamdrumming:

With all due respect, I would of thought you would have been gone months ago, by your many posts on the issues you've been having with them. If you need a more stable company, then obviously ikTel is not for you. I wish you better luck at Start.

Iamdrumming, your problem is that you never read people's posts fully and then make assumptions. At NO TIME EVER have I said or implied that I have iKtel INTERNET. I never have because they have not been available in my area. I have their VOIP. The entire service is flawed and nothing is ever going to change with them. They sent out another sob story "I'm so sorry, it will never happen again, we promise to communicate...blah blah blah" this morning. Pathetic. Fact is, their VOIP is CHEAP but you get what you pay for.
WiMax

WiMax to Hm

to Hm
Just thought you would all like to see Alan's latest sob story.

-----------
We thank you for being loyal IkTel supporters.

We wish to apologize for the recent outages you experienced first on Tuesday January 22nd and then Tuesday January 29-30.
The outages were caused by issues arising from the attempt to switch to the CRTC mandated Centralized system in Burlington Ontario. We were given only two years to make the transition.

The switch over was supposed to be like a switch that you would never have noticed. Scheduled at 3:00am and tested before the attempt; it should only have been something like a 5 minutes bleep on your screen but something went wrong. In the first attempt on January 22nd, errors in IP plans made us to abort the switch over. On January 29th attempt, different issues arose but it was too late to abort. We had to work round the clock to fix the issue. It was virtually impossible to respond to email or phone calls as we were swum and our phones, emails and web servers were not working well either.

We are please that we have successfully made the switch over and everything is back up running with excellent quality of internet performance. More faq

We acknowledged that we could have been more proactive in our responses and we pledge that henceforth, we will be more proactive in communicating dispositions. We apologize for the inconveniences that was caused you.
--------------

I love it when he says "CRTC mandated". He makes it sound like the CRTC has a gun to his head and is making him do this! What a CROCK! The CRTC ruling was targeted at the INCUMBENTS who were told that they must provide global interconnect services to TPIA's within 2 years. Further, they are to provide TPIA's full service within 90 days of a TPIA application. The fact is, if a TPIA wants to keep their existing connect model (individual POI's) or they don't want to connect to any particular incumbent, they don't have to! There is nobody forcing them to.

Also, he states that the blackout was two days. That's also a CROCK! Sure, it was two days that it was totally down but the next two days call quality was crap and I'm told that Internet speeds were also crap. In reality this was a 4 day outage.

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

said by WiMax:

The fact is, if a TPIA wants to keep their existing connect model (individual POI's) or they don't want to connect to any particular incumbent, they don't have to! There is nobody forcing them to.

Actually, all current non-aggregated TPIA providers will eventually be forced onto aggregated by CRTC mandate - it's just not until the end of the year.

So, it's a bit true. Even so, that doesn't justify how things went down.

zed173
join:2010-07-17
Mississauga, ON

zed173 to WiMax

to WiMax
said by WiMax:

Just thought you would all like to see Alan's latest sob story.

We were given only two years to make the transition.

That's awesome, what did they want, 5 years? Come on, two years is plenty of time to plan and execute something like this. I also love how they keep trying to shift blame to the CRTC to deflect from the fact there was an apparent 2 day outage.
iamdrumming
Niagara Falls, ON

3 edits

iamdrumming to WiMax

to WiMax
said by WiMax:

said by iamdrumming:

Iamdrumming, your problem is that you never read people's posts fully and then make assumptions. At NO TIME EVER have I said or implied that I have iKtel INTERNET. I never have because they have not been available in my area. I have their VOIP. The entire service is flawed and nothing is ever going to change with them. They sent out another sob story "I'm so sorry, it will never happen again, we promise to communicate...blah blah blah" this morning. Pathetic. Fact is, their VOIP is CHEAP but you get what you pay for.

I know that. For months you have been saying that your VOIP was spotty. Just didn't know why you were sticking around when there are other better (and more reliable) options out there.

mp905
@cogentco.com

mp905 to FiagaraNalls

Anon

to FiagaraNalls
Anyone else find it strange that since the service went up the IP addy is out of Kansas? (looks like Wichita). Anyone know whats up?
iamdrumming
Niagara Falls, ON

iamdrumming

I noticed that as well. ikTel has always used American IP's, so who knows.

Awol
@cogentco.com

Awol

Anon

Shh it gets me american netflix!
sypius
join:2012-03-29

sypius

Been with iktel for quite a while and understand everybody's frustrations, so far after the move it seems pretty good, Hasn't cut out and before the move it was hit or miss for wether I could stream 1080p+ videos on twitch or youtube, I can stream 1080p no problem now which is great, the main reason why I stayed with Iktel throughout all the pains is for the bandwidth cap, hopefully they don't have any problems from here out and it pays off.

Celery
join:2004-01-19
St Catharines, ON

Celery to FiagaraNalls

to FiagaraNalls
Looks like Iktel has matched Cogeco's speeds...

Expand your moderator at work

internetuser
@rogers.com

internetuser to FiagaraNalls

Anon

to FiagaraNalls

down again. (niagara area) FFS. what kinda service is this?

Chromosome
join:2013-01-29

Chromosome to Celery

to Celery
Anyone experiencing connection problems this evening? I'm in St. Catharines.

SeanR
@rogers.com

SeanR

Anon

I'm in Niagara falls and my service has been out since 7:55pm

ANon1
@74.198.150.x

ANon1 to Chromosome

Anon

to Chromosome
Been down since 8PM in Niagara Falls
iamdrumming
Niagara Falls, ON

iamdrumming

Up here.

coaxguy
join:2009-07-29

coaxguy

said by iamdrumming:

Up here.

Why does it seem you are never affected by outages that affect everyone else?