Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to hm

Premium Member

to hm

Re: ikTel Networks - Niagara ISP

It's BS. That much is so obvious that it's not even funny.
sperelthegoo
join:2013-06-02

sperelthegoo

Lol of course it is bit getting the chance to make Alan squirm makes spreading the story worth it

hm
@videotron.ca

hm to Gone

Anon

to Gone
said by Gone:

It's BS. That much is so obvious that it's not even funny.

Their reputation that will go down in flames due to this single factor being reported by them here and on their site.

*If* this is all BS, they will be in the category of Cable-Gator that all will see here.

Again, someone should be posting this to Geist.

coaxguy
join:2009-07-29

coaxguy to FiagaraNalls

to FiagaraNalls
I wouldn't get too excited in alerting the warez community based on what Alan the Phantom cited as the reason for this outage.

It's more than likely they got tired of paying Cogeco their TPIA fees after the CRTC adjustment.

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

said by coaxguy:

It's more than likely they got tired of paying Cogeco their TPIA fees after the CRTC adjustment.

This was *exactly* what I was thinking when this all went down. They simply didn't pay their interconnect bill.
sperelthegoo
join:2013-06-02

sperelthegoo to hm

to hm
At least it was a nice weekend!
sperelthegoo

sperelthegoo to hm

to hm
I'm legitimately curious how many customers they have left, it can't be many
loyd
join:2012-09-24
Toronto, ON

loyd to hm

to hm
It was not because of Hulu, Hulu started blocking IKTEL American IPs few months back. I even had Hulu+ at that point registered with my US address. They apologized and refunded rest of the subscription (which makes me think, they did not refund in full, so they accepted already spent subscription and technically sold me the content against their licensed mandate

SRidge
@cogentco.com

SRidge

Anon

Finally ... renewed my ip this morning and back online
loyd
Toronto, ON

loyd

Still not working here.

Just placed DSL Standard order to Start.ca

I was a fan of IKTEL, but after 2yrs with them, sometimes with clenched teeth, they did not learn anything. Bills come whenever, two major disruptions in 4 months and this one is over 66hrs by now. If there was anything to be done that required upstream support, the time was Friday afternoon, not today. It seems like IKTEL is run as side project on evenings and weekends when owner has time.

Gus
@wind.ca

Gus to hm

Anon

to hm
ikTel has been using US IP addresses. So, the switch to Canadian IP addresses should solve the blockage problem.
loyd
Toronto, ON

loyd

I am back online. Exatly 3 days outage.

So what was all this about, anyone knows ? I don't believe the story about copyright infrigment related block anymore.

hm
@videotron.ca

hm to Gus

Anon

to Gus
said by Gus :

ikTel has been using US IP addresses. So, the switch to Canadian IP addresses should solve the blockage problem.

Has anyone contacted him to get more details on this "warez blockade"? Who? What? When? Where? Why?
iamdrumming
join:2003-06-08
Niagara Falls, ON

iamdrumming

said by hm :

said by Gus :

Has anyone contacted him to get more details on this "warez blockade"? Who? What? When? Where? Why?

He'll probably never tell. He barely even told us there was a problem
iamdrumming

iamdrumming to FiagaraNalls

to FiagaraNalls
From the ikTel site:

ATTENTION!!!
We are glad to inform you that we have successfully switched to ikTel's owns IP address space

As a result of this, we are now responsible for managing any internet abuse allegations coming through our ip space While not condoning internet abuse voilations, it will no longer be plausible
to suffer the type of restriction we just experienced

We thank everyone for your patience and understanding!

If your internet is still not working at this time,
please reset your cable modem.
There is a reset button at the back of your cable modem
Press and hold the reset tab with pointed object for about 20 seconds

outofluck
@cgocable.net

outofluck

Anon

can not connect to primary dns
reset modem and router
outofluck

outofluck

Anon

so they plan on refunding 4 days back on your bill, no extra days for the inconvenience.

Pretty pathetic customer service
iamdrumming
Niagara Falls, ON

iamdrumming to FiagaraNalls

to FiagaraNalls
Are you getting a refund? I didn't see a mention of it anywhere.

WiFi
It's In The Air
join:2002-06-06
NiagaraFalls

WiFi

said by iamdrumming:

Are you getting a refund? I didn't see a mention of it anywhere.

Refund? BWAHAHAHAAHA!!!!
loyd
Toronto, ON

loyd to outofluck

to outofluck
said by outofluck :

so they plan on refunding 4 days back on your bill, no extra days for the inconvenience.

Pretty pathetic customer service

Not aware of any refund. This is not first major outage this year and after none of them they offered anything. For 3 day outage in 21st century I would expect a free month

Btw. I am already with Start.ca so my visit here is more nostalgic than anything else. All of you hard-core types who linger with IKTEL, all power to you. I am way too weak to endure the abuse.

outofluck
@lonlinet.net

outofluck

Anon

no it was actually a very snarky email saying... its pretty simple the net was down for 4 days you will be refunded 4 days.

if you would like to cancel please let us know blah blah.
CLASS ACT CUSTOMER CARE

red flagger
@videotron.ca

red flagger

Anon

said by outofluck :

no it was actually a very snarky email saying... its pretty simple the net was down for 4 days you will be refunded 4 days.

CLASS ACT CUSTOMER CARE

What do you want from him exactly? The 4 dollar refund plus a free month?

If you are 4 days late paying him, will he ask you to give him a bonus amount too? Will you give him that bonus?

Change ISP if you aren't happy. There is a bit of choice.

I don't mean to be offensive, but you seem to be digging for a freebie like those red-flag bottom feeders.

Want more reliability? Change ISP and pay more for it. Otherwise stay with this cheap up and down service and be happy knowing you are already saving money with them.
iamdrumming
Niagara Falls, ON

iamdrumming

said by red flagger :

said by outofluck :

CLASS ACT CUSTOMER CARE

What do you want from him exactly? The 4 dollar refund plus a free month?

If you are 4 days late paying him, will he ask you to give him a bonus amount too? Will you give him that bonus?

Change ISP if you aren't happy. There is a bit of choice.

I don't mean to be offensive, but you seem to be digging for a freebie like those red-flag bottom feeders.

Want more reliability? Change ISP and pay more for it. Otherwise stay with this cheap up and down service and be happy knowing you are already saving money with them.

I totally agree. If you need a more reliable ISP, there are better options, although a bit more money.