uniqs
share rss forum feed

dan991199

join:2007-10-01
St Catharines, ON
reply to smallj53

Re: ikTel Networks - Niagara ISP

said by smallj53:

So any more news on this? I've contacted them too just to see if I could run cogeco and iktel at the same time (like you can with dsl--just change the modem settings) but their polite reply was "no."

I'm going to try them, because dsl in my part of Niagara Falls is hit or miss. Just waiting for a day when I have the time to buy their cable modem.

i get mine installed tomorrow, i will have Cogeco and Iktel at the same time (2 different networks of course.) i'll report back on speed tomorrow.

dan991199

St Catharines, ON
installed and pushing everything its promised so far this is the 16Mbit package.

lens300

join:2004-04-13
Thorold, ON
Looks good Dan I cant wait till friday to get mine.

AwolRJ

join:2007-01-05
Niagara Falls, ON
reply to FiagaraNalls
I got my modem this week waitin on cogeco to install tommorow hope it goes as smooth as Dans did! I purchased same plan.

neflixfan

@nwic.ca
reply to dan991199
what happens if you try to go to us netflix/hulu?

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4
said by neflixfan :

what happens if you try to go to us netflix/hulu?

No go. The IPs are Canadian.

dan991199

St Catharines, ON
reply to AwolRJ
said by AwolRJ:

I got my modem this week waitin on cogeco to install tommorow hope it goes as smooth as Dans did! I purchased same plan.

did you try plugging in the modem yet? my cogeco installer just plugged it in, it was pre-provisioned.

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
said by dan991199:

did you try plugging in the modem yet? my cogeco installer just plugged it in, it was pre-provisioned.

Yeah I hooked my mom's up and it worked right away, all the installer did was show up, ask my sister "Does it work?" and then left.

AwolRJ

Niagara Falls, ON
reply to dan991199
i will have to check now thanks alot

AwolRJ

Niagara Falls, ON
reply to dan991199
i will have to check now thanks alot, it just blinks internet no other lights?

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
said by AwolRJ:

i will have to check now thanks alot, it just blinks internet no other lights?

Just one blinking light? Do you not have cable TV? Sounds like your drop is completely filtered.

AwolRJ

Niagara Falls, ON
ya i have nothin just bought the house on the 1st

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
Yeah the tech will need to remove the filter before it works. If you already had working cable TV you would have been good.

tonydp

@acanac.net
I just ordered and hook up is scheduled for July 11. Can some one recommend a wireless router for me. Pretty new here. I know I can't use my DSL tp-link but like their product. Lastly, I guess it needs to be compatible with whatever coop system I'm getting. Probably frrephoneline dud to portability. Thanks.

tonydp

@acanac.net
reply to Gone
I just ordered and hook up is scheduled for July 11. Can some one recomend a wireless router for me. Pretty new here. I know I can't use my DSL tp-link but like their product. Lastly, I guess it needs to be compatible with whatever VOIP system I'm getting. Probably frrephoneline dud to portability. Thanks.

AwolRJ

Niagara Falls, ON
i Just grabbed a 50 dollar tp-link wireless n at wintronics in st kitts today tested it out with the dsl the router seems solid and has a easy interface to set up! Cant go wrong for 50! They mentioned the Asus were good in the forum here but they didnt have any in stock at wintronics!

tonydp

@acanac.net
Model number please

dan991199

St Catharines, ON
the Netgear Wdr3700 is supposedly a very nice router. a friend of mine is using it now swears by it. it also got pretty good reviews.

AwolRJ

Niagara Falls, ON
Just got connected 16 mbs as promised I am happier than a kid at Christmas! Hey tony mine is a Tp-Link 940 300 mbps it is working good! Thank you guys and thank you Allan for helping me get rid of Bell!

AwolRJ

Niagara Falls, ON
I am only getting 1 mbps upload but the full 16 download? I seen the one guys got his full upload speed I wonder whats the issue on my end? Doesn't really matter though still twice as fast as Bhell

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
said by AwolRJ:

I am only getting 1 mbps upload but the full 16 download? I seen the one guys got his full upload speed I wonder whats the issue on my end? Doesn't really matter though still twice as fast as Bhell

1Mbit/s upload is normal. The profile speed is 16/1. You're getting exactly what you're paying for.

AwolRJ

Niagara Falls, ON
That was my mistake I read his upload he reported from them not what the site offered thanks for clearing that up!

lens300

Thorold, ON
reply to FiagaraNalls
I cant wait for mine to be hooked up. My DSL went down last night at 5am an is still not back up. I still have my service for at least another month. The funny thing is my tethered 3g connection is faster than my DSL.

Last Parade

join:2002-10-07
Port Colborne, ON
reply to FiagaraNalls
*taps fingers*

tonydp

@74.198.9.x
reply to neflixfan
Anyone using their phone too?

AwolRJ

Niagara Falls, ON
I'm gonna order there phone just bell wants 30 days notice so I figure I will see how smooth the internet is for a month! So far so good!

lens300

Thorold, ON
reply to FiagaraNalls
I just got mine installed. I can't believe I lasted this long on a 3 mb dsl. I'm getting my full 14 mb down and 1 up just can't believe it is so fast. All o want to do is download so I can watch it.

AwolRJ

Niagara Falls, ON
Well I have been losing connection since about 5 today off an on hope it is just a issue they are fixing? She was perfect till today though so I really do hope it was just a hiccup!

smallj53

join:2002-08-25
Niagara Falls, ON
Hello everyone,

I was just hooked up today and I'm running Cogeco and Iktel at the same time so comparisons will be made. So far I would say that Iktel is still a good choice but it looks like there are more than just a few subscribers for the available bandwidth.

I also have been experiencing disconnects and short service "hiccups" of the kind I don't usually get with Cogeco. See the following:

Anyway it should be interesting seeing how things go as Iktel expands. Could other Iktel subscribers confirm these results because it just might be my setup that is causing the problem?

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
The only time my mother ever experience anything like that was when her wireless was acting up. It's been pretty solid since I got that all sorted out. If something was going on I'm sure I would have heard about it as I typically get a phone call the moment something is out of order.