Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4
reply to AwolRJ

Re: ikTel Networks - Niagara ISP

said by AwolRJ:

I am only getting 1 mbps upload but the full 16 download? I seen the one guys got his full upload speed I wonder whats the issue on my end? Doesn't really matter though still twice as fast as Bhell

1Mbit/s upload is normal. The profile speed is 16/1. You're getting exactly what you're paying for.

AwolRJ

join:2007-01-05
Niagara Falls, ON

That was my mistake I read his upload he reported from them not what the site offered thanks for clearing that up!

lens300

join:2004-04-13
Thorold, ON
reply to FiagaraNalls

I cant wait for mine to be hooked up. My DSL went down last night at 5am an is still not back up. I still have my service for at least another month. The funny thing is my tethered 3g connection is faster than my DSL.

Last Parade

join:2002-10-07
Port Colborne, ON
reply to FiagaraNalls

*taps fingers*

tonydp

@74.198.9.x
reply to neflixfan

Anyone using their phone too?

AwolRJ

Niagara Falls, ON

I'm gonna order there phone just bell wants 30 days notice so I figure I will see how smooth the internet is for a month! So far so good!

lens300

Thorold, ON
reply to FiagaraNalls

I just got mine installed. I can't believe I lasted this long on a 3 mb dsl. I'm getting my full 14 mb down and 1 up just can't believe it is so fast. All o want to do is download so I can watch it.

AwolRJ

Niagara Falls, ON

Well I have been losing connection since about 5 today off an on hope it is just a issue they are fixing? She was perfect till today though so I really do hope it was just a hiccup!

smallj53

join:2002-08-25
Niagara Falls, ON

Hello everyone,

I was just hooked up today and I'm running Cogeco and Iktel at the same time so comparisons will be made. So far I would say that Iktel is still a good choice but it looks like there are more than just a few subscribers for the available bandwidth.

I also have been experiencing disconnects and short service "hiccups" of the kind I don't usually get with Cogeco. See the following:

Anyway it should be interesting seeing how things go as Iktel expands. Could other Iktel subscribers confirm these results because it just might be my setup that is causing the problem?

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON

The only time my mother ever experience anything like that was when her wireless was acting up. It's been pretty solid since I got that all sorted out. If something was going on I'm sure I would have heard about it as I typically get a phone call the moment something is out of order.

AwolRJ

Niagara Falls, ON
reply to smallj53

Mine was just yesterday and its all back to normal. Run your test at speedtest.net and see what you get those other speed test were doin the same thing it must be there servers or something cause I wasn't even getting accurate results with bell through those ones.

AwolRJ

Niagara Falls, ON
reply to smallj53

And small what time were you hooked up yesterday? I'm wondering if you getting hooked up had anything to do with mine going out as we are both in the falls. I live downtown by the cop shop on Ellis!

smallj53

Niagara Falls, ON

Feeling much better now. Hmm. Will keep testing, no disconnects today it seems.

WiMax

join:2003-07-12
Canada
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable

said by smallj53:

Feeling much better now. Hmm. Will keep testing, no disconnects today it seems.

Which service did you buy from them?

tonydp

@cogentco.com

Hooked up and all is good. Picked up a cisco e2000 router for $50 and no complains. I ordered the 7 light package to try. Next is the VOIP. just not sure from who.

DoctorT

@cgocable.net
reply to FiagaraNalls

Hey,
Does anyone know if their 50 mbps cable internet is any good?
I asked iKtel and they say its a 50/1.5 stream with no cap.

I'm planning on later completely ditching cogeco (standard 14 Mbps internet and their overpriced TV) for some online TV.
Their internet cap is driving me crazy!
60 gigs??!! What the hell Cogeco??

dan991199

join:2007-10-01
St Catharines, ON

i don't think its actually available anywhere in the area iktel currently services, i could be wrong. but when i inquired Alan from iktel thought it was already in St. Catharines but later found out it wasn't available yet. i have their 16Mbit package and i'm thrilled with it. i have a friend on here with the 14Mbit package and i know hes just as happy.

DoctorT

@cgocable.net

Hmm.. That's weird. Their online availability tool says that it should be available in my area (50 Mbps). But one thing I don't understand is that the DCM425 modem is also supposedly used for the 50/1.5 tier. I read it's spec and apparently it only goes up to 36 Mbps.

How's your internet? Does it slow down during peak hours or anything like that?

dan991199

St Catharines, ON

said by DoctorT:

Hmm.. That's weird. Their online availability tool says that it should be available in my area (50 Mbps). But one thing I don't understand is that the DCM425 modem is also supposedly used for the 50/1.5 tier. I read it's spec and apparently it only goes up to 36 Mbps.

How's your internet? Does it slow down during peak hours or anything like that?

haven't had any slowdown yet. in north St. Catharines. been with Iktel for almost a month and just over a TB.

lens300

Thorold, ON
reply to FiagaraNalls

No slow downs for me either. Just over 2 weeks 1.5tb down so far.
Loving the 14 down so much better than the 3 I was on for 5 years.

DoctorT

join:2011-07-23
St Catharines, ON
reply to FiagaraNalls

Hmm.. Sounds great.
Doesn't iKtel cap the data at 125/200GB though (14 and 16 mbps)?
But it's only $12 extra for unlimited ;P

dan991199

St Catharines, ON

yep, worth the $12

AwolRJ

Niagara Falls, ON
reply to FiagaraNalls

Wow you guys use a lot of internet I don't get close to the Tb's in a month, think 350 gigs is the most I have ever used and that is with 4 devices on netflix and 2 kids watching stuff constantly! I am loving my new internet, and Allan is a easy guy to deal with!

StEC
Proud
Premium
join:2003-11-27
GTA
reply to FiagaraNalls

I'm so ditching Cogeco and jumping on this! I'm moving to Murry St. here in the Falls so I hope I can get the install timed closed to my move in date!
--
Stec-Net Online Community!

smallj53

Niagara Falls, ON
reply to FiagaraNalls

Can anyone explain this--supposedly iktel does not give us American ip's but I went to a site that said that according to my IP address I was located in Washington DC! It also said I was getting internet from Cogent.

I tried getting American Netflix just for fun and I got way farther along the registration process than I ever did with Cogeco.

Can anyone verify this?

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON

said by smallj53:

Can anyone explain this--supposedly iktel does not give us American ip's but I went to a site that said that according to my IP address I was located in Washington DC! It also said I was getting internet from Cogent.
I tried getting American Netflix just for fun and I got way farther along the registration process than I ever did with Cogeco.
Can anyone verify this?

It could be just the particular netblock you were assigned. I wouldn't think much of it.

dan991199

St Catharines, ON
reply to smallj53

said by smallj53:

Can anyone verify this?

routing is through cogent, and *soem geoip sites use various locations but very few sites (we want an american ip for) will see us as an american ip

GNca George
GorillaNET Wireless Broadband
Premium,VIP
join:2008-07-12
Minden, ON
reply to FiagaraNalls

It can take a very long time to get Cogent netblocks reassigned to Canadian customers properly. I think we went about four months with on block before it was finally recognized as Canadian...

Geo

smallj53

Niagara Falls, ON
reply to FiagaraNalls

This just floored me...

I have the 14000/1000 package with iktel. I am going to lose my Cogeco connection so fast!

DoctorT

join:2011-07-23
St Catharines, ON

You have 21/1.7 mbps on a 14/1 plan??!
Cmmon Cogeco contract, expire sooner!!!