uniqs
share rss forum feed

DoctorT

join:2011-07-23
St Catharines, ON
reply to FiagaraNalls

Re: ikTel Networks - Niagara ISP

Hmm.. Sounds great.
Doesn't iKtel cap the data at 125/200GB though (14 and 16 mbps)?
But it's only $12 extra for unlimited ;P

dan991199

join:2007-10-01
St Catharines, ON
yep, worth the $12

AwolRJ

join:2007-01-05
Niagara Falls, ON
reply to FiagaraNalls
Wow you guys use a lot of internet I don't get close to the Tb's in a month, think 350 gigs is the most I have ever used and that is with 4 devices on netflix and 2 kids watching stuff constantly! I am loving my new internet, and Allan is a easy guy to deal with!

StEC
Proud
Premium
join:2003-11-27
GTA
reply to FiagaraNalls
I'm so ditching Cogeco and jumping on this! I'm moving to Murry St. here in the Falls so I hope I can get the install timed closed to my move in date!
--
Stec-Net Online Community!

smallj53

join:2002-08-25
Niagara Falls, ON
reply to FiagaraNalls
Can anyone explain this--supposedly iktel does not give us American ip's but I went to a site that said that according to my IP address I was located in Washington DC! It also said I was getting internet from Cogent.

I tried getting American Netflix just for fun and I got way farther along the registration process than I ever did with Cogeco.

Can anyone verify this?

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4
said by smallj53:

Can anyone explain this--supposedly iktel does not give us American ip's but I went to a site that said that according to my IP address I was located in Washington DC! It also said I was getting internet from Cogent.
I tried getting American Netflix just for fun and I got way farther along the registration process than I ever did with Cogeco.
Can anyone verify this?

It could be just the particular netblock you were assigned. I wouldn't think much of it.

dan991199

St Catharines, ON
reply to smallj53
said by smallj53:

Can anyone verify this?

routing is through cogent, and *soem geoip sites use various locations but very few sites (we want an american ip for) will see us as an american ip

GNca George
GorillaNET Wireless Broadband
Premium,VIP
join:2008-07-12
Minden, ON
reply to FiagaraNalls
It can take a very long time to get Cogent netblocks reassigned to Canadian customers properly. I think we went about four months with on block before it was finally recognized as Canadian...

Geo

smallj53

Niagara Falls, ON
reply to FiagaraNalls

This just floored me...

I have the 14000/1000 package with iktel. I am going to lose my Cogeco connection so fast!

DoctorT

join:2011-07-23
St Catharines, ON
You have 21/1.7 mbps on a 14/1 plan??!
Cmmon Cogeco contract, expire sooner!!!

Last Parade

join:2002-10-07
Port Colborne, ON
reply to smallj53
said by smallj53:

This just floored me...

I have the 14000/1000 package with iktel. I am going to lose my Cogeco connection so fast!

Did they give you the wrong firmware? lol.

Still no TPIA here or Fort Erie.

smallj53

Niagara Falls, ON
Damn. It was a fluke as I have not been able to repeat it. But speeds have been way better than I have expected, so no biggie.

Jonny53

join:2009-05-24
Welland, ON
reply to FiagaraNalls
I'm planning on switching from TekSavvy DSL as soon as this becomes available in Welland.

Could anyone tell me if any incoming ports are blocked (e.g 80)? I run a small web server and would like to continue being able to access it outside of my LAN.

lens300

join:2004-04-13
Thorold, ON
reply to FiagaraNalls
Looks like port 80 is blocked.

dan991199

St Catharines, ON
reply to Jonny53
said by Jonny53:

I'm planning on switching from TekSavvy DSL as soon as this becomes available in Welland.

Could anyone tell me if any incoming ports are blocked (e.g 80)? I run a small web server and would like to continue being able to access it outside of my LAN.

i think you are given web space though. if that helps.

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
reply to lens300
said by lens300:

Looks like port 80 is blocked.

Really? Why don't you email and ask for sure?

While it may not help you, I've moved everything I run onto non-standard ports that only myself and those who I tell know about it. Even RDP and the like. Unless you run something public, port 80 being blocked might not be that big of a deal but ultimately you're the one who needs to decide on that.

lens300

join:2004-04-13
Thorold, ON
reply to FiagaraNalls
Looks like the geolocation is in the US Ive been watching hulu with no problems. Cool even thou I know it wont last.

smallj53

Niagara Falls, ON
reply to FiagaraNalls
Interesting. There is a cable outage for parts of Niagara Falls and Niagara on the Lake, with both internet and Cable TV being out completely.

I thought it would just be a Cogeco thing and Iktel would still be up, but both my cable modems have only one light on them. Cable internet is not like DSL it seems.

AwolRJ

join:2007-01-05
Niagara Falls, ON
Im in the falls and mine is fine smalls, I had the same problem a week or 2 back and was told the same thing that it was a cogeco outage so maybe thats just what he says I dunno?

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
reply to smallj53
said by smallj53:

Interesting. There is a cable outage for parts of Niagara Falls and Niagara on the Lake, with both internet and Cable TV being out completely.

My Mom in the north-end of NF is out.

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
reply to FiagaraNalls
»www.niagarafallsreview.ca/Articl···=3251295

Fibre line was cut, huge swath of Niagara Falls is offline.

TwiztedTD

@cgocable.net
reply to AwolRJ
So I just got my notice in the mail that cogeco is upping my service by $2.00, plus the overage charge is going up to $50 max now instead of $30.

Im looking at Tek Savvy, and Iktel. I live in Welland.

Anyone using Iktel can suggest switching to them? I am thinking of switching over to Iktel for internet and phone.

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
Iktel doesn't have TPIA in Welland.

forterie5555

@telus.com
reply to Gone
I went to iktel site to check my availability in fort Erie and it said yes. What the

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
said by forterie5555 :

I went to iktel site to check my availability in fort Erie and it said yes. What the

Trust me, it doesn't work, and he won't sell you service in Fort Erie.

I was the first - and last - person in Fort Erie to try. The information that Cogeco gave him for TPIA coverage was not entirely correct, to say the least.

dmac

join:2006-12-25
Niagara
reply to FiagaraNalls
Dropped cogeco on Tuesday....Plugged in the Iktel modem and everything is golden......

GreenEnvy22

join:2011-08-04
St Catharines, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..

1 edit
reply to smallj53
I signed up last week, on the 16meg pro.
So far so good.

I'll be running my own VoIP server for my home phone, so we'll see how it goes. Worked OK on Cogeco previously.

Sys_Admin

@brocku.ca
I switched over last week, working fine. Noticed around 6pm it slowed from 7meg to around 4megs for a bit. Was right backup to 7megs soon after. I run my own VOIP and it works.

The biggest issue was canceling cogeco, they gave me every reason in the book on why this is a terrible idea to leave them. Offered me a whopping $3 a month off my current service if i stayed. After I said no they said they could do $5 off the next lower plan (which is still more than what I am paying at iktel for a better plan)

Either way I am happy and intend to start switching over other family members soon.

WiMax

join:2003-07-12
Canada
reply to Gone
IkTel does not have TPIA in Welland...YET.

nitzguy
Premium
join:2002-07-11
Sudbury, ON
reply to Gone
said by Gone:

said by forterie5555 :

Trust me, it doesn't work, and he won't sell you service in Fort Erie.

I was the first - and last - person in Fort Erie to try. The information that Cogeco gave him for TPIA coverage was not entirely correct, to say the least.

....Fort Erie, and I believe the little towns along the south shore, including Welland, but not St. Catharines/Thorold or Niagara Falls are connected to the Headend which is located at Fonthill...it makes no sense as the crow flies but, I believe that's why you can't get service in Fort Erie.