dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
99553123 (banned)
join:2011-05-01

99553123 (banned) to Grothendieck

to Grothendieck

Re: Alcohol in a party where there will be people under 21?

Have you gone to a family function where alcohol is served AND there are minors present? How was it handled under those conditions?

I would assume(yeah I know) Math majors would be a bit more mature than the average college student.

CylonRed
MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
·Metronet

CylonRed

MVM

quote:
Have you gone to a family function where alcohol is served AND there are minors present? How was it handled under those conditions?
Most of the time those situations would have parents present and it is up to them to be responsible for their kids although the person giving the party will still be ultimately responsible.

I would never give my niece and nephew alcohol but my kids could be different. I should be able to decide if they can drink alcohol (I firmly believe in the Europe view of alcohol).

Grothendieck
Premium Member
join:2002-07-28
Miami, FL

Grothendieck to 99553123

Premium Member

to 99553123
said by 99553123:

I would assume(yeah I know) Math majors would be a bit more mature than the average college student.

Yes I have but in those situations anyone around 15 or older, the parents allow them to drink non-excessively. But its just another culture.

Actually, when we have been to reunions in non-family houses, and any minor wants to drink and asks for a beer etc, the host always asks the parents if they let them. If the parents allow them (which is very common in such social gatherings) then the host just gives the beer to the minor. I guess its assumed that the responsibility would be within the parents (as i thought) but after reading the responses here, I see that the host is ultimately responsible.

Anyways, as much as I disagree with the law, and obviously my professor too since he is from european country, no one wants to get in trouble.