Premium
join:2005-06-18
Forest Hills, NY
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

4 edits

streaming account sharing illegal

make it illegal to share your password on subscription-based entertainment services like Netflix, Pandora, or Hulu Plus.

»www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2386316,00.asp

this really sucks... it's so easy to simply keep two IPs from streaming from their service at the same time, so what's the big deal about sharing. I share an online game account with a friend overseas so we can keep farming gold 24/7. The game kicks me out if he tries to log in and visa versa - so do the same with streaming video. They could also cap or charge above a certain total hour of gigabyte or streaming - another way to discourage sharing. instead of automatically charging for overages, the account gets suspended until the original owners IP segment is able to login and approve more money charged - this would be a great way to discourage hacked password sellers since the accounts would become worthless within a short time. WTF they keep having to legislate this shyt when the technology is there to resolve the problem already. fuking lawyers don't get paid enough for other bullshyt cases, so they have to create new crap like this? sorry about all the expletives - I just read news like this and it makes me physically sick.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS

I might be worried about this... if I actually lived in Tennessee. Until there's federal law or one in my state, I'm not worried.

Re: the two IP address -- won't work for mobile devices which could be in use anywhere in the US (world?) to access Netflix, etc, especially since these accounts are typically used per household and not per person.

Packeteers
Premium
Forest Hills, NY
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

every client has a unique signature certificate,
so you won't need IP to distinguish two guys
streaming from the same account. regardless,
one should be cut off if you only pay one fee.
we don't need laws, just better software which
already exists, they simply didn't apply it here,
for God knows what retarded reason.

Rexter
YeeHaw

join:2002-11-17
cloud 9

I completely agree with your point about simply not needing laws. There are plenty of easy technological solutions.

However, the ability to stream Pandora and Netflix to several devices at the same time on one account is a very attractive feature to me. If I had to have separate accounts for each person, or each device in the house. It wouldn't be worth it, I'd cancel my accounts. This is a buying decision between the seller, and buyer, the law has no place in the decision.
--
I'm with the Central Government. I'm here to help you. Now bend over, really, I'm helping you, just, just stay still. You'll feel better in a moment.

Packeteers
Premium
Forest Hills, NY
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

said by Rexter:

separate accounts for each person, or each device in the house.

to be clear; they should use available technology
to limit simultaneous use of the same one account,
since that is where the most abuse is coming from.
they should not limit multiple devices and locations,
as long as two are not streaming at the same time.

Rexter
YeeHaw

cloud 9

Again, limiting my ability to stream to multiple devices will prompt me to cancel my account. I like that the kids can stream a kids movie to one room while the adults watch another. That's a great feature, and a great selling point for Netflix. I would not be a subscriber without that feature. They could do something similar to iTunes, where you have to authorize devices. They could limit how many devices can be authorized, say 10 or so. If you need to authorize one after that, you'd have to de-authorize another one. This would eliminate the situation they are addressing with this law. Now, of course this means that I could authorize my cousin's, brother-in-law's, best-friend's neighbor's computer. Some of that will inevitably go on. There are ways to minimize that. Businesses simply have to price their services accordingly. If they operate from a protectionist stand point they will alienate their customers. I'm willing to pay for great service at a good price, most people are. I am not willing to pay to be limited as to how, and when I consume content.
--
I'm with the Central Government. I'm here to help you. Now bend over, really, I'm helping you, just, just stay still. You'll feel better in a moment.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS

Agreed. Currently Netflix allows something like six (or more??) authorized devices, doesn't care where they reside on the Internet, and so I can stream to my iPad while traveling and hubby can stream to the Boxee Box all at the same time.

I don't see why it should have to be any other way.

Packeteers
Premium
Forest Hills, NY
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

2 edits
reply to Rexter

I honestly didn't know Netflix was so generous,
and figured there was a distinction between an
individual plan, and a family plan. either way
the industry does not need government enforce
what they obviously don't bother limiting already.

i get it that unintended account sharing is at
issue, but Netflix should have anticipated that
the moment they published their contracts,
and structured them accordingly. like I wrote
in my earlier gaming example, this was a well
known issue long before Netflix was streaming.

Netflix could also borrow a page from the
Credit Card playbook, by profiling the content,
equipment and location each account streams,
and notify the account owner of out of the
ordinary activity, in case their account was
compromised and is out in the public domain.

strategies that do not require government oversight.

Rexter
YeeHaw

cloud 9

said by Packeteers:

..........either way the industry does not need government enforce
what they obviously don't bother limiting already.

...............strategies that do not require government oversight.

I agree 100%. I don't think Netflix asked for this, could be wrong though. It's a decision between the seller, and the buyer. I already see a potential for 6 devices to be a bit restrictive, but haven't had that problem yet. If they restrict it further, I'll go elsewhere, no governmental intervention needed either way.
--