Premium Member
join:2008-03-15
Annie's Pub

Smokey Bear

Premium Member

GFI's ClearCloud DNS service will be discontinued Sept. 1

GFI ClearCloud | 6/3/2011
quote:
Effective September 1, 2011, GFI's ClearCloud DNS service will be discontinued and no longer available for consumer use.

To discontinue using the ClearCloud DNS service, you will need to reconfigure your network connection. If this is not done prior to September 1, 2011, your Internet connectivity will be interrupted. Learn how to remove ClearCloud DNS from your computer by clicking here.

Lana Decker
Beta Coordinator
GFI Software
»forums.clearclouddns.com ··· did=7955
art22gg
Premium Member
join:2005-02-16
Courtenay, BC

art22gg

Premium Member

It appears to me that there is a bit of a shakeup going on at the present time at GFI.First the announcement of the discontinuance of CounterSpy and now this announcement about ClearCloud,which really hasn,t been in existence all that long...
Just my thoughts and opinion.

Art
PrivacyExprt
join:2010-09-29
Longwood, FL

PrivacyExprt to Smokey Bear

to Smokey Bear
Wow, thats incredibly LAME... I like ClearDNS, nothing quite like it... Is there a known alternative?

GFI is gutting and clear cutting everything. I would recommend migrating away from anything under their banner.
Fredra
Undesirable Alien
join:2000-04-08
Nepean, ON

1 recommendation

Fredra

Hi
Here is a short list of alternative(s) you can use, instead of ClearCloud.
NORTON DNS
Pri 198.153.192.1
Sec 198.153.194.1
GOOGLE DNS
Pri 8.8.8.8
Sec 8.8.4.4
OPEN DNS
Pri 208.67.222.222
Sec 208.67.220.220
LEVEL 3 (not sure how long these will be available)
Pri/Sec 4.2.2.1/4.2.2.2/4.2.2.3/4.2.2.4/4.2.2.5/4.2.2.6

Hope that helps
Cheers
Fredra

Fredra to Smokey Bear

to Smokey Bear
Thanks for the notification Smokey Bear
Cheers

Smokey Bear
veritas odium parit
Premium Member
Annie's Pub

Smokey Bear

Premium Member

You're welcome Fredra See Profile.

FWIW from the same GFI announcement: "we have found that most customers prefer the more robust web filtering solution available as a feature in our VIPRE Premium product.". To me the reason for discontinuing ClearCloud is obvious: an effort to raise sales figures of VIPRE.

SIR TMG
join:2004-03-06
Lima, OH

SIR TMG to Smokey Bear

to Smokey Bear
Not worried about clearcloud or counterspy, there in my VIPRE Premium .....

Smokey Bear
veritas odium parit
Premium Member
Annie's Pub

Smokey Bear

Premium Member

said by SIR TMG:
Not worried about clearcloud or counterspy, there in my VIPRE Premium .....

Nick Hallin/GFI Software:
quote:
There are a couple benefits to running ClearCloud. VIPRE's Web filtering only monitors traffic over port 80 (although we plan to make this configurable in future releases). ClearCloud would block bad sites no matter what port is used. Additionally, ClearCloud is updated instantly as new bad sites are added to our block list, while Web Filtering in VIPRE needs to be updated through definitions so updates to it's block list usually occur only every hour or two.
»supportforums.sunbeltsof ··· did=7675
PrivacyExprt
join:2010-09-29
Longwood, FL

PrivacyExprt to Smokey Bear

to Smokey Bear
said by Smokey Bear:

You're welcome Fredra See Profile.

FWIW from the same GFI announcement: "we have found that most customers prefer the more robust web filtering solution available as a feature in our VIPRE Premium product.". To me the reason for discontinuing ClearCloud is obvious: an effort to raise sales figures of VIPRE.

Certainly appears so, and as such, it gives them a very clear 'appearance' of yet an other greedy whore corporation. No thanks, I will take my business elsewhere.

Besides, Vipre slowed my browsing to a crawl when installed. I use page load timers, and all of them double or tripled immediately after install. No thanks.

KoRnGtL15
Premium Member
join:2007-01-04
Grants Pass, OR

KoRnGtL15 to Smokey Bear

Premium Member

to Smokey Bear
The service never even made it out of beta. Even though it has been in beta for a long time now. Oh well.
alexeck
join:2004-12-20
Clearwater, FL

alexeck to Smokey Bear

to Smokey Bear
Folks, I've been responding to these posts in a couple of different areas --

here:

»Re: Sunbelt Personal Firewall Software End-of-Life

and here:

»www.wilderssecurity.com/ ··· ount=143

Alex Eckelberry
General Manager, GFI Security
Alexe (at) gfi.com
claudiubotez
join:2009-06-28

claudiubotez

Hi alexeck,
So, let me get this straight: as a General Manager of GFI security you decided to allocate all resources into developing Vipre , a security suite which is one of more than 10 security suites floating the market right now with direct competition from MSE (free), Avast (free), Avira (free) and at the same time Kerio2.15 ,a unique firewall and one of the best overall firewall I have seen in 8 years, got killed!!!
I have been using this firewall since 2002 without ANY CONFLICT / PROBLEM and I am willing to pay for it; you had it in your hands; all you had to do was to keep it alive…

Claudiu