Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

j_a_t_h

join:2002-04-29
Calgary, AB

Watching Optik TV on your computer

Hi Everyone
Is there a way to watch Optik TV on your computer. Currently my computer has a direct network connection to the modem and I would like to know if I can get the TV channels on my computer. Thanks.

Billigt

@telus.net

Not a chance. The signal is decoded.
Forget it.

guest175

@telus.net

said by Billigt :

Forget it.

The signal is decoded??
If it was DEcoded, wouldn't that make it open?

TierX

join:2009-01-20
Canada
kudos:8

said by guest175 :

said by Billigt :

Forget it.

The signal is decoded??
If it was DEcoded, wouldn't that make it open?

He probably meant to say the signal is encrypted. Long ago, in a galaxy far, far away, TELUS tv (before it was branded Optik TV) didn't have any broadcast DRM, so you could join the multicast stream directly with VLC on your computer. Unfortunately its a requirement of many channels that we carry, that they are encrypted, so broadcast DRM was added a couple years back.

j_a_t_h

join:2002-04-29
Calgary, AB

Thanks for the reply.

guest175

@telus.net
reply to TierX

said by TierX:

He probably meant to say the signal is encrypted. Long ago, in a galaxy far, far away, TELUS tv (before it was branded Optik TV) didn't have any broadcast DRM, so you could join the multicast stream directly with VLC on your computer. Unfortunately its a requirement of many channels that we carry, that they are encrypted, so broadcast DRM was added a couple years back.

Kinda thought that.

Don't know much about telus iptv but im guessing if telus would allow you to register your own hardware, It would be theoretically possible to view on the computer I would think.

kylez

join:2009-03-26
reply to j_a_t_h

Didn't JoshB get this working in a VM?

nss_tech

join:2007-07-29
Edmonton AB
reply to j_a_t_h

There is a way but Telus currently does not support the feature. Microsoft Mediaroom software has a plugin for Windows Media Center(?) on Windows 7 only but as far as I know there are no providers that are using that feature yet.

pfak
Premium
join:2002-12-29
Vancouver, BC

said by nss_tech:

There is a way but Telus currently does not support the feature. Microsoft Mediaroom software has a plugin for Windows Media Center(?) on Windows 7 only but as far as I know there are no providers that are using that feature yet.

Soon, hopefully. I'd love to get rid of the STB I barely use ...
--
The more I C, the less I see.

TheMG
Premium
join:2007-09-04
Canada
kudos:3
Reviews:
·NorthWest Tel
reply to j_a_t_h

The content industry unfortunately has a very tight grip on what providers like Telus can and can not do with the content.

If it weren't for the industry's very tight control, we'd likely be watching live, unencrypted TV using software of our choice on our computers.

But reality is the industry demand that encryption be used, and require additional licensing ($$$) to stream content to PCs.

WhosTheBosch

join:2009-12-02
reply to j_a_t_h

AT&T has Mediaroom on their Windows 7 phones. It's a shame Telus is always behind the curve on Mediaroom roll outs.

»www.engadget.com/2010/10/11/atan···box-360/

Symtex

join:2005-04-06
Burnaby, BC
kudos:21

Streaming to smartphone is coming very soon

guest175

@telus.net
reply to TheMG

said by TheMG:

The content industry unfortunately has a very tight grip on what providers like Telus can and can not do with the content.

If it weren't for the industry's very tight control, we'd likely be watching live, unencrypted TV using software of our choice on our computers.

But reality is the industry demand that encryption be used, and require additional licensing ($$$) to stream content to PCs.

Never looked at like that. Know thats true of sattv because its basically a broadcast. But not sure how (telus)iptv or digital catv applies (hard wire).

Regular catv is not encrypted. Wonder if some type of grandfather rule applies to that realm.

I Always thought it was unfair for telus and other providers to monopolize on proprietary hardware. If you think about it, theses days you should be able to pick the compatible hardware and have the provider program it via stream. Since they already have control over it, dont think its that far of a leap.

TheMG
Premium
join:2007-09-04
Canada
kudos:3
Reviews:
·NorthWest Tel

said by guest175 :

Regular catv is not encrypted. Wonder if some type of grandfather rule applies to that realm.

That's because encrypting it would break compatibility with a large number of existing devices.

Plus the content producers don't seem to care about protecting the low quality standard-definition content as much as they do with high-definition.

said by nss_tech:

Microsoft Mediaroom software has a plugin for Windows Media Center(?) on Windows 7 only

Which would leave everyone not running Windows 7 and using WMC unable to take advantage of the feature.

Yay for proprietary software/formats!

guest175

@telus.net

said by TheMG:

said by guest175 :

That's because encrypting it would break compatibility with a large number of existing devices.

Plus the content producers don't seem to care about protecting the low quality standard-definition content as much as they do with high-definition.

"it would break compatibility with a large number of existing devices."
Im sure if the crt and providers wanted to, they would make everyone get new hardware in a blink of an eye without thinking twice. Just like the over the air broadcasts happening now. At least in that scenario, you dont have to buy proprietary hardware.

"content producers don't seem to care about protecting the low quality standard-definition content"
Im sure that's what it probably boils down to, for now. As Im sure in the near future this technology will be on the shelf with the 8-track tape.

(ahh, the good ol days when all you did was screw a wire in to watch tv. Then goto radio shack for some resistors, capacitors and a choke) lol

pfak
Premium
Vancouver, BC
reply to guest175

said by guest175 :

Shaw is phasing out Analog CATV to free up bandwidth for Internet, and for HDTV. This point will be moot very soon.
--

guest175

@telus.net

said by pfak:

said by guest175 :

Shaw is phasing out Analog CATV to free up bandwidth for Internet, and for HDTV. This point will be moot very soon.

My thought exactly!
Im still using it to. And the biggest reason is because of the thought of having to buy or rent a STB from Telus or anyone else.

Though soon enough Im sure I will be corralled into using these proprietary STB soon enough. So I suppose for me, it comes down to, who has a more attractive STB offer, or in hopes they open the market on them in best case and register your own hardware. (one can dream) lol

Gardener
Premium
join:2006-10-19
Burnaby, BC
Reviews:
·TELUS
reply to j_a_t_h

Shaw has already dumped some analog channels and the FM stereo band above 102 MHz in Vancouver. I understand it will eventually be just basic cable ( 2-28?), plus CBC, co-op, and local college stations on the FM. Otherwise, it's digital, encrypted and DRM'd to the point of uselessness for those of us who like to have TV on our PCs, same as Telus. The first supplier to make their signals easily accessible will get my business, if I haven't abandoned broadcast TV by then.

pfak
Premium
Vancouver, BC

said by Gardener:

I understand it will eventually be just basic cable ( 2-28?), plus CBC, co-op, and local college stations on the FM.

Shaw will be removing all Analog TV services.
--

guest175

@telus.net

said by pfak:

Shaw will be removing all Analog TV services.

Since you've mentioned it, do you know of a date? Year or year(s)?

Maybe this is why Telus and Shaw have been bombarding me with tv offers.

hey Mr Telus and Mr Shaw, who will get my business then. (give me better options on STB) lol

wlee15

join:2001-06-03
Calgary, AB
reply to pfak

Basic Cable will remain available on analog in the short term unlike the classic tier 1-3 that will removed from analog this summer (at least in the larger markets).