All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
xadeus
join:2011-06-05

xadeus

24/3 50% Bandwidth Used Yet no Conneciton

Hey guys i have been having a problem with my 24/3 Uverse Internet that is really annoying. It seems that if i get anywhere near 1000kbps usage on one device that no other devices are able to use the internet.

I regularly download service packs and OS's form Microsoft's Technet and while they are downloading (usually around 1.0mbps) i can not open or refresh any other webpages. i have done speedtests and regularly get 22-23Mbps which should get me 2.0mbps speed. Is this a limit of my Uverse Router? I dont understand how i can use only 50% of my bandwidth and everything else stops working.
Paralel
join:2011-03-24
Michigan, US

Paralel

I doubt it has anything to do with your UVerse connection. It most likely has something to do with your system.

netboy34
Premium Member
join:2001-08-29
Kennesaw, GA

netboy34 to xadeus

Premium Member

to xadeus
are you using any 3rd party download software?

Are the systems attached to the RG or through another switch?

maartena
Elmo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-10
Orange, CA

maartena to xadeus

Premium Member

to xadeus
It might also have to do with the type of application you are using. For instance, torrent applications create a large number of connections. Usually, they are restricted in the app to about 200 connections total, and 100 connections per torrent, but some people feel the need to tweak that, even though its not helping anything...

As a matter of fact, it is only sabotaging things, because the RG can handle quite a few connections/second, but there is a limit to it. If you have multiple people/devices using the internet, and one computer is opening up a 1000 connections or so, you indeed run the risk that other computers, which may only need 10-20 connections/second for web browsing etc, will have delays in opening up connections, and thus, overal speed.

It is also possible you have a cheap switch in between that can't handle all those connections.

Without knowing what applications you are using, it's really a crap shoot. Besides torrents, there are other apps that COULD be causing trouble, but we just don't know here.

So.... without further ado: What apps are you using, and how?
dave006
join:1999-12-26
Boca Raton, FL

dave006 to xadeus

to xadeus
No, I have the 24/3 HSI and I also download ISO images from Technet on a regular basis using the Microsoft File Transfer Agent without any issues for other devices on the local LAN.

I just started a test and it is downloading at a range of 2000-2405 KB/sec. Web pages on this WiFi connected device used for the test and the other 4 currently actives devices are all working well. Web pages load or refresh without any issues.

First, it would be helpful to understand how your devices are connected your Uverse Router ( 2Wire RG ). Are all your devices using WiFi connections, ethernet, a mix? It would also be helpful to know what Operating Systems your devices are using.

For example here is a sticky thread for Windows XP devices when using the higher tiers of HSI:

»Slow speeds after upgrading to 12 or 18 meg internet | XP OS

Also, do you know what your DNS settings are?

Dave
xadeus
join:2011-06-05

xadeus

Hey guys,

Thanks for all the reply's. Im going to put it as basic as i can. I use 1000kbps of bandwidth on my personal computer that is hardwired to the RG. On the same computer while that is downloading, i cant load any webpages.

I don't use torrents but my brother does. Even if he is torrenting at say a capped 500kbps, could the number of connections affect the internet even though we still have 75% of available bandwidth?

netboy34
Premium Member
Kennesaw, GA

netboy34

Premium Member

in short Yes.

The RG only allows so many connections as a time. Remember, Uverse was originally for TV service first and foremost. Even if you have Internet only, the RG still was designed for TV service. It only allows so many connections through it to keep buffer there for TV traffic even if the traffic isn't there.

Folk
join:2001-05-09
Fletcher, NC

Folk

Netboy34:
You just made all that up, right? Because really... virtually none of that is based in fact.

OP:
I agree with Paralel. Something is wrong with your system. I can have hundreds of torrent connections and still easily open web pages.

netboy34
Premium Member
Kennesaw, GA

netboy34

Premium Member

you can say I made it up all day long since it hasn't been proven, I'm just going by experiance whenever I download a CentOS ISO through uTorrent and what my Log says on the RG when my other computers are slow/can't load pages, yet can see my internal devices (printers, media center, web server, NAS).

When I get home tonight I will download the latest ISO and show you before and afters of the log

JimThePCGuy
Formerly known as schja01.
MVM
join:2000-04-27
Morton Grove, IL

1 edit

JimThePCGuy to xadeus

MVM

to xadeus
I'd venture to guess your upload bandwidth is saturated with acks and such. Remember you upload channel is only 1/8 your download.
Try increasing your frame size.
Fewer frames means less traffic on the upload channel acknowledging frames.
I used this simple tool to do it:
»/drtcp
The app calls it "TCP Receive Window Size".
It might take a little fiddling to find the best size.
This was a very common issue back in the old modem days.
Not saying this is your problem but it's an easy thing to try.

djrobx
Premium Member
join:2000-05-31
Reno, NV

djrobx to xadeus

Premium Member

to xadeus
said by xadeus:

Hey guys,

Thanks for all the reply's. Im going to put it as basic as i can. I use 1000kbps of bandwidth on my personal computer that is hardwired to the RG. On the same computer while that is downloading, i cant load any webpages.

I don't use torrents but my brother does. Even if he is torrenting at say a capped 500kbps, could the number of connections affect the internet even though we still have 75% of available bandwidth?

Speaking of basics, you should disconnect your brother and any other devices while troubleshooting this issue. If you download the same ISO on a different computer, do you have the same problem?

trparky
Premium Member
join:2000-05-24
Cleveland, OH
·AT&T U-Verse

trparky to netboy34

Premium Member

to netboy34
said by netboy34:

The RG only allows so many connections as a time. Remember, Uverse was originally for TV service first and foremost. Even if you have Internet only, the RG still was designed for TV service. It only allows so many connections through it to keep buffer there for TV traffic even if the traffic isn't there.

There is some truth in that statement but 95% of it is completely false.

BitTorrent has been known to saturate the routing capabilities of even some of the best consumer routers. It really comes down to the amount of active connections. Consumer routers, no matter who makes them, has some difficulty handling the amount of connections that an average BitTorrent session will create. BitTorrent tends to be greedy when it comes to opening a lot of connections.

Though, it is known that the 2Wire device does have some issues with a lot of simultaneous connections. Usually it results in slower DNS lookups, increased response time in creating the connection socket, etc. Actual speed decrease, no... that's not been a reported issue.

Folk
join:2001-05-09
Fletcher, NC

Folk to JimThePCGuy

to JimThePCGuy
said by JimThePCGuy:

Try increasing your frame size.
I used this simple tool to do it:
»/drtcp
The app calls it "TCP Receive Window Size".

That app isn't really useful for Vista/W7. Works great with XP.