spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Derfdog

join:2003-08-29
Centerburg, OH

Can you use a Linksys WRT54G and Netgear WGR614 together?

I have a Linksys WRT54G wireless network setup in my house.
The WRT54G is located down in my basement next to my DSL modem.
I have an Xbox that does not have wireless capabilities that is located up on the 2nd floor in our TV room.
I have a house that I cannot find a way of running a network cable up through the walls to the TV room (without cutting massive holes in the wall).
I have a NetGear WGR614 sitting in a box collecting dust.
Is there a way of using the NetGear as an access point? The manual shows an example of using it as an access point but connected to a router (not wireless).
I thought that it would be easy by telling the NetGear to talk to the Linksys using the Linksys MAC address, but I cannot get it to communicate.
I thought of using a wireless dongle on the Xbox but the kids say that won't work.
Any ideas on what to do, short of getting an Xbox with wireless?

Thanks
Derfdog
--
Sprint Novatel U727, Centerburg OH

public

join:2002-01-19
Santa Clara, CA
said by Derfdog:

Any ideas on what to do, short of getting an Xbox with wireless?

Get an access point or other device with client mode capable firmware. Netgear crappy router does not include that function.

wayjac
Premium,MVM
join:2001-12-22
Indy
kudos:1
reply to Derfdog
said by Derfdog:

I have a house that I cannot find a way of running a network cable up through the walls to the TV room (without cutting massive holes in the wall).

You can use a pair of powerline network adapters to get the ethernet signal to the tv room

DaveMcLain

join:2008-11-07
Steelville, MO
reply to Derfdog
If your Netgear 614 is a V8 or L version you can load it with DD-WRT firmware and convert it into a wireless bridge. I have several of these doing all sorts of stuff and it works great. It will not work on other versions of the WGR614.

»www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Cl···Wireless

The WGR614 is a very reliable piece for DD-WRT use too.

Derfdog

join:2003-08-29
Centerburg, OH
Thanks, that is along the line that I would like to do. However my WGR614 is v.10

Thanks for all the input.
Derfdog
--
Sprint DSL, Centerburg OH

DaveMcLain

join:2008-11-07
Steelville, MO
Not sure about the V10 you'll have to check the DD-WRT wiki to know for sure.