how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Wingless60

join:2009-07-30
Athens, TN

Loss of Sync during Thunderstorms

I have Internet and TV through U-verse and every time there is a thunderstorm in my area I start losing sync sporadically. There doesn't even have to be rain, just thunder in the area and I can watch my errors on realtime skyrocket until the lines can't cope and drops out. I've had several techs out already but obviously that hasn't helped at all as it's still happening. Other than during a thunderstorm, the connection is 100 percent rock solid.

Odd thing is that I had the exact same issue before on my prior ADSL2 service through ATT (I was using a Westell 6100 at the time). I was able to fix that myself by switching to a different modem that had a higher tolerence to noise (I'm guessing).

If anyone has had a similar problem before let me know how it was dealt with. I emailed a Tier II guy and I'm still waiting for a reply. I really do like U-verse and I'm desperate to get this figured out since there are a lot of thunderstorms in east Tennessee.

Wingless

Paralel

join:2011-03-24
Michigan, US
kudos:4
You might have a faulty ground somewhere, but other than that your only choice would be to install a shielded line, which would provide substantial, but not complete, protection from EMI pulses like what is generated during electrical storms/lightning strikes.

GNH
tolle causam
Premium
join:1999-12-20
Arlington, TX
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to Wingless60
During storms all I see are slightly more "Corrected Blocks," but do not lose sync (picture). I hope Tier-2 can solve your problem.
--
I want to say one word to you. ... Just one word. ... Are you listening? ... Wireless.

Wingless60

Athens, TN
Actually I was contacted by a Tier II guy and he scheduled a tech to come out and check the line for grounding issues. Appointment time was between 8am-12pm and it's now nearly 5:30pm and still no tech. This is the second time a tech has no-showed on me in two weeks. As much as I love the U-verse service I have zero confidence at this point that anything will get done. Time will tell...

Tanshin

join:2009-07-18
West Simsbury, CT
kudos:1
reply to Wingless60
It could be a grounding issue but no matter how awesome your line is there will be issues during storms. Generally it will be tons of corrected blocks (I've had millions in 15 minute periods depending on the severity of the storm) but you can lose sync (last night we had a severe storm and I lost sync at least three times).

Loss of sync, even during storms, shouldn't be a regular occurrence though.

Wingless60

Athens, TN
Yeah personally I don't care if there were 100 trillion errors reported as long as I didn't lose sync at the first sound of thunder. Just yesterday evening a thunderstorm skirted past us (no rain just thunder off in the distance) and within a minute of me first hearing the thunder the tv froze and internet went out. I guess what's really irking me is the fact that I can't get ATT to get someone out here to look into it. They've no-showed on my last two appointments. Sigh...

TheDuck6

join:2003-06-22
Eastlake, OH
reply to Wingless60
If you are getting that many errors during a storm there is a termination problem somewhere in your line . What does your bitmap look like both during a storm and when clear. If you have over head wires it is possible they ran unshielded wire or the shield is not connected or the grounded both ends which sets up a ground loop.

Tanshin

join:2009-07-18
West Simsbury, CT
kudos:1
reply to Wingless60
Yeah, if it happened when you were glanced by the storm then you've got issues.