how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

DSL_Problem

@verizon.net

[connectivity] Westell 7500 keeps dropping Internet connection

Hi All,

I hope someone can help me because I am on the verge of dropping my Verizon dry loop DSL service. I have had their service for approximately 1 year, and during that time the DSL connection has dropped multiple times each day, and is sometimes unavailable for large periods of time. Sometimes I am able to bring it back up from my router's home page but frequently, the only way to restore it is by powering the router down and back up again. Sometimes even this only works after several attempts. I have spoken with tech support multiple times. Each time they run some line tests and tell me that everything is OK. I have swapped routers once also without any change. I have also had a VZ technician out to the apartment. He disabled the other non-used jacks in the apartment, and made a direct connection from point A (in the basement) to point B (the jack that I use). He said that was my issue--that the line would search for signal on each of the jacks, and when it was searching, my connection would drop. His "fix" too did not work. Also since he came, it seems that when I am able to connect my connection speeds have dropped from 1MB to 448 Kbps. Please help me, I am so frustrated, and it seems that Verizon tech support is out of ideas. I have attached several router logs for your perusal. Please let me know if there are any suggestions you may have to help me solve my issue. Thank you in advance.

Smith6612
Premium,MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
kudos:25
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
·Frontier Communi..

Re: [connectivity] Westell 7500 keeps dropping Internet connecti

That speed is terrible. Do you by any chance have access to the NID in your apartment? It would be nice to obtain statistics from the NID to see if anything improves there. Apartments have the tendency to have trouble with DSL more often than not so it seems. If you don't have voice service, this will make getting the problem fixed a little more troublesome if done through the traditional methods of support, but this shouldn't be too hard to fix. It normally isn't in most cases.

jbeiter1

join:2011-07-19
Mechanicsville, VA
reply to DSL_Problem
I have this exact problem. I also am in an apt. complex. It occured a year ago and after a lot, a lot of fussing and fighting with this it seemed to get resolved. I can't recall anything specific that was done just one time it stopped dropping. This then was good and worked as it should for maybe 9 or 10 months. Then for no reason it started again. I thought the modem had gotten old and began causing trouble. VSN replaced the modem/router(westell 7500) just like they did twice the year before, and I was working again for maybe a week-10 days. Then it was out for a whole day. Then it began to drop every couple days, resolution was to power cycle the m/r. now it is dropping again every 30min - 1 hr. VSN says they see no trouble... however this is not rocket science there are causes for dsl interuptions and there it goes again as I;m writing... so frustrating.... I wish it weren't the best cost and soon it won't matter I'll try clear wire a new provider in our area... Did your issues get resolved?

jbeiter1

join:2011-07-19
Mechanicsville, VA
reply to DSL_Problem
I have this exact problem. I also am in an apt. complex. It occured a year ago and after alot, alot of fussing and fighting with this it seemed to get resolved. I can't recall anything specific that was done just one time it stopped dropping. This then was good and worked as it should for maybe 9 or 10 months. Then for no reason it started again. I thought the modem had gotten old and began causing trouble. VSN replaced the modem/router(westell 7500) just like they did twice the year before, and I was working again for maybe a week-10 days. Then it was out for a whole day. Then it began to drop every couple days, resolution was to power cycle the m/r. now it is dropping again every 30min - 1 hr. VSN says they see no trouble... however this is not rocket science there are causes for dsl interuptions and there it goes again as I;m writing... so frustrating.... I wish it weren't the best cost and soon it won't matter I'll try clear wire a new provider in our area... Did your issues get resolved?

DSL_Problem

@verizon.net
Nope, still fighting with Verizon to fix it. I believe at this point that it is due to a wiring problem with the cabling outside the apartment. I am going to have Verizon try one more time. Otherwise I may try Clear like you. If you do switch, please let me know how their service is, because I am at rope's end.

chrisk19938

join:2008-08-18
Clayton, DE
reply to DSL_Problem
since i see apartment buildings do you have the little door buzzer security at the front door?

a lot of them are wired into your phone line and cause issues with DSL. can be fixed with a wireing work around

DSL_Problem

@verizon.net
No, no doorbell. But I appreciate the thought. Thanks.

jjam

@verizon.net
Try changing your wireless channel. that may help with your internet dropping but your speed will be another issue.