share rss forum feed

DC DSL
There's a reason I'm Command.
Premium
join:2000-07-30
Washington, DC
kudos:2

Bees

Other than a few bigass bumbly bees during that warm spell back in April, I haven't seen any around here. Not even yellow jackets, which have always pestered me when having breakfast or lunch out on the balcony. Anyone got them around?
--
"Keep calm and carry on."

mxmumtuna

join:2000-08-11
Ashburn, VA
We had a bunch of wasps that we had to get rid of.. Seriously swarming in our yard. We called a guy and he sprayed some stuff and they're gone.

grobinette
Southeast of disorder
Premium,Mod
join:2001-01-27
Springfield, VA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 edit
reply to DC DSL
Not too many but our flowers are not in bloom. Early on when the wisteria was blooming we had bunches. I didn't notice much activity in the garden on campus but now that you mention it I'll take more focused look to see what's going on. They have tons of cone flowers and bee balm blooming so it should be hopping.

We do have a slew of tree frogs this year, which is different. They keep the cats entertained when they crawl up the glass in the sliding door at night.

Rxdoxx
Premium,Ex-Mod 2002-13
join:2000-11-03
Middle River, MD
kudos:11
reply to DC DSL
Big bumblebees were here early, never many but they are here.

Wasps and yellowjackets many more than I want, have treated a couple of nests already
--
Was a Cruise Fanatic, one cruise on Princess cured me. Bleah

xmrocks
Premium,MVM
join:2003-09-23
reply to DC DSL
There's been a few big ass bumblebees (as you'd call them ) in my neighborhood and a few yellow jackets that like to hang around the bushes. I don't mind so long as they stay outside!
--
Submit phishing to phishtracker

hsindogg
Premium
join:2002-06-21
Potomac, MD
reply to DC DSL
I saw a this special on the mysterious disappearance of honey bees and the billion of dollar impact on the agricultural business because of the work bees do to pollenate.

I've seen maybe 2 honey bees this year. I remember as a kid, I couldn't play in a grassy field without shoes because I would get stung.

DC DSL
There's a reason I'm Command.
Premium
join:2000-07-30
Washington, DC
reply to DC DSL
While I'm allergic to stings, I don't discourage a few yellow jackets or any bees from visiting my balcony. The yellow jackets are one of the best natural exterminators...keep all sorts of little buggers from eating up my herbs. Other than them coming over to snoop on what we're having to eat, they are quite content to stay among the greenery.

It dawned on me that maybe I'm not seeing any yellow jackets this year is that I didn't put in impatiens. You could always find 2 or 3 of them crawling around in the foliage having a feast, then popping over to the herbs and tending to them for me. Perhaps I should pop by Behnke's again and see if I can score some.
--
"Keep calm and carry on."