spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

prelude7188

join:2011-06-07

[Embarq] Embarq/Century Link 660 series modem keeps loosing conn

I have century link as my ISP and I use bittorrent to download movies. It will work ok for a little while and then it wants to loose connection. There is no bandwidth cap. My modem is a Embarq/Century Link 660 series modem. I dont use a router just the adsl modem. I have re-configured it over and over and still not working properly. Any suggestions will help. I can find what port its using in bittorrent but cannot find out where to mess with port settings for the modem.
Thank you

scooper

join:2000-07-11
Youngsville, NC
kudos:2

Re: [Embarq] Embarq/Century Link 660 series modem keeps loosing

You said the magic words - "bit torrent" - Yes, you will have issues with the 660 and bit torrent. You would be FAR better off to get a cheap router and put the 660 into Bridged mode. Even the cheap 4port / single port NAT routers will do better at handling bit torrent.

prelude7188

I have a belkin router but i thought routers are just for using other computers in the house wireless...but the problem with the belkin is i cannot get to the set up on it..
could i just get a better adsl modem or what would you suggest.. dont have a lot of money but i got some lol

firedrakes

join:2009-01-29
Arcadia, FL
bridge the modem to the router and their. its fix. the 660 is junk as a router. simple as that

prelude7188

thanks

billaustin
they call me Mr. Bill
Premium,MVM
join:2001-10-13
North Las Vegas, NV
kudos:5
reply to prelude7188
If you cannot get into the router setup, do a reset back to factory defaults. There should be a reset button on the back. With it turned on, hold the button down for about 30 seconds.

Once you put the modem in bridge mode, the internet light will no longer come on. You will also loose access to the setup screens, unless it is a new model. This is normal behavior.