share rss forum feed

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4
reply to FiagaraNalls

Re: ikTel Networks - Niagara ISP

Let me know how it goes for you FiagaraNalls. I'm heading up to their office in the next day or so to pick up a modem and give it a whirl.

I wonder what the POI layout in Niagara is like. I get the feeling that St. Cats, Niagara Falls, Fort Erie, Thorold and NOTL are one one or two POIs, whereas Welland, Port Colborne and the Western half of the region are on different ones.

Hanks

@teksavvy.com

Niagara Falls, Fort Erie, Thorold and NOTL maybe a single POI
St. Catharine's has it's own according to the TPIA POI list.
Welland has a POI listed.

There has definitely been fiber ran from the downstairs unit at that complex to the Cogeco facility next door confirmed from people in the area, so everything seems up and up.

The rates are kinda funny. The cents on each tier are identical to the TPIA tiers. It's an exact dollar mark up.
For instance, Speed Tier 1 $16.07 from TPIA = HSI-Lite $21.07. Everything is an exact dollar markup.

There is now a working compare link to a pdf. All tiers have a Usage allowance higher than Cogeco's retail offerings.
Cable HSI-Lite Usage 30GB, overage $1.00/gb
Cable HSIUltra Lite Usage 60GB overage $1.00/gb
Cable HSI-Standard Usage 125GB overage $0.90/gb
Cable HSI-Pro 16Mbps Usage 200GB overage $0.90/gb
Cable HSI-Pro 50Mbps Usage Unlimited

All have a max overage charge of $12.

None of this is in line with the current Cogeco TPIA agreement. I'm really curious as to what kind of agreement was set up, or if this is all still in flux.

There is an unlimited promotion for first 3 months for unlimited Downloads and uploads now according to the site.

I'm quite interested to take the dive myself. I'm sick of paying dry loops fees and bonding to get a real world 8/1.3mbps at the price of $90+ a month, but how far can you really get with one 100mbps link serving everyone.

I eagerly await feedback from you early adopters.

Hanks

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON

said by Hanks :

Niagara Falls, Fort Erie, Thorold and NOTL maybe a single POI
St. Catharine's has it's own according to the TPIA POI list.
Welland has a POI listed.

I can almost say with certainty that Thorold will be part of the St. Catharines POI, not Niagara Falls. NOTL, NF and FE are probably one single POI.

Good to see Gigabit on the list now, makes a lot of sense.

As for bandwidth overages, it looks to be the same situation as with Teksavvy and other TPIA providers on Cogeco and, for that matter, Rogers too. Overage fees are listed in the tariff, but no one is currently charging for them. That could change at any time. As it stands right now, I'm not overly worried.

Hanks

@teksavvy.com

Well if that's the case I think I'm going to give it a trial run myself. The 14/1 Tier seems the best deal for both consumer and wholesaler based off TPIA rates, and at $34.79 + tax for a few months I can afford to keep my current Tek setup for 3 months along side it to check it out and see what happens at that point.

Thank you for the information. I still wonder why Cogeco isn't charging. They filed in 2010 to be able to, and the only thing the CRTC made them change was to add a discount to the UBB rates after the Bell ruling of the same.

Do they just not have anything in place for the moment to be able to charge? Did the CRTC "review" make the Cable Co's wary of charging UBB until all the dust settled? I would love for this to all work out nicely I'd just really like some more information about why the tariff isn't being strictly enforced.

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON

Well here's the thing, even in the IAW TPIA days, Cogeco still wasn't able to charge bandwidth on them.

I'm picking up the modem this afternoon. I'll post a report as soon as I get it home and hook it up.