Doc Lithius

join:2009-08-19
Rock, MI

3 edits
reply to Doc Lithius

Re: [Networking] Online Gaming on HughesNet

Two new games.
Edit: And a third.
Second Edit: And a fourth, fifth, and an update on two other games.

- World of Tanks (Unplayable) -- Can't log in. Period. Thus, can't play.
- Champions Online (Mostly Playable) -- There's a funny bit of rubber-band lag on occasion, but it doesn't seem to throw you back to where you were. Actually, the game seems to try and catch up to where you are, rather! There's also a bit of oddness in executing attacks, as you seem to do it twice, but the second time is the actual attack. Otherwise? Runs about as well as City of Heroes.
- La Tale (Unplayable) -- Some games will use a bit of "chat-back" to figure out where you are and what you're doing. La Tale does not. It uses "remote-only" netcode, rather than "local vs. remote" netcode. Thus, if you press forward, you don't move until the remote server says you did. This makes the game largely unplayable, since most people aren't going to want to sit there and get destroyed by Purings because they can't attack or even run away before they get hit. MapleStory is a much better choice, for this type of MMORPG on Hughesnet.
- Rumble Fighter (Unplayable) -- Not much has changed since I last reported in on this one. Rather than not connecting during the patching process, however, the game fails to connect after loading and the program closes quietly and without an error message.
- GunBound (Fully Playable) -- Nothing new to report here. It still runs perfectly.
- ShellShock Live (Fully Playable) -- Much like GunBound, ShellShock Live (a Flash spiritual successor to Scorched Earth) runs perfectly! It may fail to connect if your connection is occupied with something else, but this is fairly rare and easily fixable by reconnecting.
- Zone4 (Mostly Unplayable) -- While you can play this one, it's not advised, since it -- like many other free-to-play games -- uses remote-side netcode. However, it's surprisingly reactive in some cases. I was almost able to PvP against someone during my testing. Still, it does get tiresome after a while... So, not recommended.
--
ISP: HughesNet Satellite Internet
Modem Model: HN9000
Service Plan: Grandfathered ProPlus -- 425MB + 50MB/day, 1.6 Mbps DL; 250 Kbps UL)

Doc Lithius

Rock, MI
Got another one.

- Spiral Knights (Mostly Playable) -- There is a lot of rubber band-lag in this game, but it's not entirely unplayable. You just have to be patient and really make sure you're aiming where you're attacking. Except to take a lot of damage in rooms with hurt-floors.

Doc Lithius

Rock, MI
More for the money.

- Sanctum (Mostly Unplayable) -- As expected from the first-person shooter genre, there's way too much rubber-band lag to make for a completely positive gaming experience. However, much like with Borderlands, if you really must, it's doable with some amount of patience and maybe a bit of lucky...
- Terraria (Mostly Playable?) -- I'm not completely confident in my rating on this one... I joined a couple of different servers earlier tonight, and while I couldn't mine anything and had a door explode on me when I tried to close it, I could run around and fight mobs just fine. So... I'd say "Mostly Playable" works.
--
Service Plan: Grandfathered ProPlus -- 425MB + 50MB/day, 1.6 Mbps DL; 250 Kbps UL)

Doc Lithius

Rock, MI
- War Inc. (Unplayable?) -- After joining a random server, everything seemed to be going alright. I logged in just fine, could move freely, fire at thing, etc. However, everyone moved very, very jerkily around, their positions updating about once per second. No one seemed to be targeting me either and, despite unloading a full clip into a random soldier, they did not fall, or even turn around. I'm going to say this one's unplayable.
--

Kaosfury

join:2011-06-27
Altavista, VA
awsome post.

hehe thats alot of games

Doc Lithius

Rock, MI
Eeyup. And I have a lot of time. X3