how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

FTBoomer

join:2011-04-22
Tampa, FL

[Internet] Best Routers for Bridged Networks

There has been a few pages in the »Get The Most Out Of Your Wideband Connection thread about which routers are best for those bridging there BHN cable modems.

@ispgeek and myself have recently purchased the ASUS RT-N56U (available from Amazon for $130, www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0049YQVHE ). So far this router, which runs 802.11n in the 2.4 & 5GHz ranges simultaneously, is nothing short of incredible (for a router, that is).

@ispgeek ran some tests, here is the info quoted from the other thread:

So far so good. I maxed out my Netflix connections at 6 and only stopped there because I ran out of accounts to use (had to borrow from everyone in the family as I'm limited to only two streams at once) and it didn't even phase that bugger especially with everything else going on with that connection. I imagine the guys at DD-WRT are working hard to port a version for it as well but honestly the UI isn't all that bad and it's packed with features already. Pretty much anything you can think of is already covered in the stock UI.

Here are my last speed test (off my site) results with it...it just doesn't get much better than this folks...

»mcs.ispgeeks.net/myspeed/db/report?id=446383

mix

join:2002-03-19
Utica, MI

$130 for a home router... that's a tough sell even for me.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL
kudos:146

said by mix:

$130 for a home router... that's a tough sell even for me.

Mix this is actually cheap compared to similar class residential routers with half the capabilities and power. I don't know what you pay for a router but when it comes to routers you almost always get about what you pay for. You wouldn't buy a Yugo to run a NASCAR race.
--
"I can’t give you a surefire formula for success, but I can give you a formula for failure: try to please everybody all the time."
~ Herbert Bayard Swope

FTBoomer

Tampa, FL

@Mix, this is probably not for the normal mom & pop who check email and do a bit of surfing but if you are running RR Lightning with a combination of wired and several wireless devices, this is the router for you.

With these households you would probably be streaming video wirelessly to a Boxee, Roku or ATV2 while possibly having someone on a wireless gaming system. This is the type of router that allows you to get the most out of all of these SIMULTANEOUSLY in DUAL-MODE. Both of these are significant and very rare in a router at even this price.

bhnbussol

join:2010-06-16
Port Orange, FL

i have just finished been testing a netgear wndr3800 a 600mbps wireless n its super fast!!!

good router has ability to setup 3 different dns settings and many other features ie wireless repeater, wap feature, ect.

side note usb has functionality to put a usb hub and run a printer and a usb hard drive

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL

Please check your model number as I don't show the wndr3800 as being available yet. Also if it's anything like the previous model wndr3700 I would advise a serious hands off for now on that bugger. Now it's slated to be called the N600 but this is actually nothing more than a rebranded WNDR3700 (also called an N600 by some) with a few extra features...
--
"I can’t give you a surefire formula for success, but I can give you a formula for failure: try to please everybody all the time."
~ Herbert Bayard Swope

bhnbussol

Port Orange, FL

I have 40x5 with my modem bridged and the 3800 is issueing dhcp and I have not had to reset my modem once since installed I was always having to reset my old netgear. 10 dollar piece of router junk

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL

said by bhnbussol:

I have 40x5 with my modem bridged and the 3800 is issueing dhcp and I have not had to reset my modem once since installed I was always having to reset my old netgear. 10 dollar piece of router junk

Look up cable386. I'm fairly sure you have your model # wrong based on what I know about the pending release of the 3800 or the NEW version of the N600. What you have is the 3700 as the 3800 has not been released.
--
~ Herbert Bayard Swope

mix

Utica, MI
reply to FTBoomer

You can be assured someone like myself gets the most bang for their buck when it comes to computer hardware.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL

said by mix:

You can be assured someone like myself gets the most bang for their buck when it comes to computer hardware.

Okay then please tell us what you would pay for a excellent residential router and give make and model as your example.
--
~ Herbert Bayard Swope

Diablo

join:2007-09-17
Kissimmee, FL
kudos:1

I believe ASUS new router is a great choice,Im using the RT-N16. the only con to that router is the firmware from ASUS it wasn't stable even after releasing 4 updates.but for us mod freaks installing Tomato USB and its running really smooth.Its a beast on hardware.

@ispgeek you made a wise choice buying the new ASUS model.
Im putting my money on that one and at $130 its really cheap
comparing similar models from Netgear and LInksys that avareage
$150 or more

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL

Yea I'm excited to see the DDWRT port for it once it's done. Being a true linux box it shouldn't be that hard once they dive into it. Rumor has it they already have a test unit...just need to find the time to port I would imagine. So far the N56 has been rock solid and zero problems even with the stock firmware. Sometimes I think people expect things to be perfect on these boxes and what they don't realize is that they are no different than routers costing 30x this much when it comes to firmware/software. There will always be issues and patches the only difference is that SLA on a commercial box demands that immediate fixes happen whereas residential boxes are fixed when they are fixed unless it's a huge issue.

So far the N56 has proven itself to be a solid box, animal like speed and easy as hell on the wallet for the features. Gamers should take a real close look at the N56 in my opinion.

Uptime: 10days 15hours 8minutes 32seconds

Not a single lockup or reboot except for the last time I made changes to the box.

--
~ Herbert Bayard Swope

FTBoomer

Tampa, FL
reply to FTBoomer

So I updated my firmware to 1.0.1.4 this morning and then set my 2.4 to g only and my 5GHz to n only. Everything's working great. Love this ASUS router.

bhnbussol

Port Orange, FL
reply to BHNtechXpert

i was under a beta test for netgear isp. do you wanna pic of it? or a screen shot of the login page?

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL

said by bhnbussol:

i was under a beta test for netgear isp. do you wanna pic of it? or a screen shot of the login page?

Everything I know about the 3800 says that this is just a rebranded 3700. Given the current issues with the 3700 I'm not comfortable in recommending either model and since the 3800 is in beta only even more so with that model.
--
~ Herbert Bayard Swope

FTBoomer

Tampa, FL

@ispgeek What are you using for your uplink speed? Did you leave it at the measured speed or did you add a manual number? If so, what did you use?

Odd terminology "uplink". When I hear uplink, I think upload speed vs download speed.

I love watching the network traffic real-time display on this ASUS router. Interesting traffic patterns on Netflix streaming.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL

said by FTBoomer:

@ispgeek What are you using for your uplink speed? Did you leave it at the measured speed or did you add a manual number? If so, what did you use?

Odd terminology "uplink". When I hear uplink, I think upload speed vs download speed.

I love watching the network traffic real-time display on this ASUS router. Interesting traffic patterns on Netflix streaming.

As I understand it that is what it's for ... upload/uplink capability. I set mine manually to the correct setting which is 5mbps.
--
~ Herbert Bayard Swope

FTBoomer

Tampa, FL

In the EzQOS setting tab, the help section says this:

About EzQoS
EZQoS provides 4 types of popular Internet applications and enables you to easily configure your Quality of Service (QoS) settings. QoS ensures the performance of the Internet download speed and enables you to change its settings in different scenarios.
EX. Application you choose will remain the quality and will not lag even when you use P2P.

If your uplink speed has reached 40MB/s, we suggest you need not enable EzQoS for saving system resource.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL

said by FTBoomer:

In the EzQOS setting tab, the help section says this:

About EzQoS
EZQoS provides 4 types of popular Internet applications and enables you to easily configure your Quality of Service (QoS) settings. QoS ensures the performance of the Internet download speed and enables you to change its settings in different scenarios.
EX. Application you choose will remain the quality and will not lag even when you use P2P.

If your uplink speed has reached 40MB/s, we suggest you need not enable EzQoS for saving system resource.

I think this is an example of a GUI quirk. That particular setting is for uplink only and you can easily check it because the number it comes up with automatically is closer to your uplink cap vss downlink.
--
~ Herbert Bayard Swope

FTBoomer

Tampa, FL

@ispgeek Open the EzQos > Traffic Monitor > Internet In a separate window, run the BHN network speedtest. Halfway through, jump back over to the router window (make sure Real-Time was selected first).

In the Internet tab, downlink is the greeater value spike but in the LAN or Wired tabs, uplink is the high value,

So, based on this and the bolded sentence above, I'm not sure what to think. I understand what you're saying about the measured speed and mine is 2.3 which is way to low. Just find it odd and am looking for a truer explanation (not from you, from them, ASUS)

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL

said by FTBoomer:

@ispgeek Open the EzQos > Traffic Monitor > Internet In a separate window, run the BHN network speedtest. Halfway through, jump back over to the router window (make sure Real-Time was selected first).

In the Internet tab, downlink is the greeater value spike but in the LAN or Wired tabs, uplink is the high value,

So, based on this and the bolded sentence above, I'm not sure what to think. I understand what you're saying about the measured speed and mine is 2.3 which is way to low. Just find it odd and am looking for a truer explanation (not from you, from them, ASUS)

Yea its actually uplink speed and good luck getting an answer from Asus considering there isn't even a forum section for their routers which I find to be a bit odd but hey as long as it keeps working like this I don't need their forums.
--
~ Herbert Bayard Swope

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to FTBoomer

Well I found my first real bug again with the GUI. When you access the traffic monitor from the remote (meaning off net) admin console it defaults to wireless 2.4ghz display and won't let you change to anything else like Internet or Lan or Wired. It will display it for a few seconds and then switch right back to wireless traffic monitor. I'll get this written up and sent off. Now this might only be a .15 firmware issue I dunno.
--
~ Herbert Bayard Swope

FTBoomer

Tampa, FL

said by BHNtechXpert:

Well I found my first real bug again with the GUI. When you access the traffic monitor from the remote (meaning off net) admin console it defaults to wireless 2.4ghz display and won't let you change to anything else like Internet or Lan or Wired. It will display it for a few seconds and then switch right back to wireless traffic monitor. I'll get this written up and sent off. Now this might only be a .15 firmware issue I dunno.

Nice catch. I'm not using DDNS but sure seems like a bug to me. It'll be interesting to see if they agree and include it in the next release.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL

Can you do me a favor and test to see if the same issue exists in .14 firmware. You will need to enable remote admin console on 8080 and then connect via your cpe ip:8080 (not local net address) and see if you have the same problem. I forgot to check with Chrome and FF but will do that tonight.
--
~ Herbert Bayard Swope

FTBoomer

Tampa, FL

said by BHNtechXpert:

Can you do me a favor and test to see if the same issue exists in .14 firmware. You will need to enable remote admin console on 8080 and then connect via your cpe ip:8080 (not local net address) and see if you have the same problem. I forgot to check with Chrome and FF but will do that tonight.

Sorry but I wont be able to help out with this.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL

said by FTBoomer:

said by BHNtechXpert:

What happened?
--
~ Herbert Bayard Swope

FTBoomer

Tampa, FL

said by BHNtechXpert:

said by FTBoomer:

said by BHNtechXpert:

What happened?

Nothing personal but that's just not something I want to mess with.

mix

Utica, MI
reply to FTBoomer

Ok, by popular demand. This is a N router with a 400 Mhz processor and it costs $25. It runs dd-wrt of course.

TP-LINK TL-WR740N

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL

said by mix:

Ok, by popular demand. This is a N router with a 400 Mhz processor and it costs $25. It runs dd-wrt of course.

TP-LINK TL-WR740N

Um Mix that's like comin to a firefight with a water pistol. First of all that router is not fully N compliant, is only 100mb max and hardly touches on the features on the the Asus.
--
~ Herbert Bayard Swope

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to FTBoomer

said by FTBoomer:

Nothing personal but that's just not something I want to mess with.

Not quite sure why but no worries. It actually appears to be a browser issue more than anything. Again just a minor thing. FTBoomer don't be afraid of your router You can freely test things and then turn features off that scare ya. The reality is that feature is pretty harmless unless you leave it unpassword protected and on for extended periods of time.
--
~ Herbert Bayard Swope