Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

swamibob

join:2011-07-25
Auburndale, FL
reply to BHNtechXpert

Re: [Internet] Best Routers for Bridged Networks

No problem, I decided to get the RT-N56U as I was 99% sure that the wd that you have was 100mbs like mine. The new MED500X2 is now 1000mbs and I am considering an upgrade to it. I'm pretty sure that if I had that one with a 1000mbs connection even the crappy ubee built in router could have streamed any blu ray perfectly with the extra bandwidth to play with, even if it doesn't do a good job at streaming data. I thought about either the popbox or the wd-live, but neither of these can pass through DTS-HD MA or Dolby True-HD, that is why I bought the med500x in the first place. It also has a hookup for an internal SATA drive up to 3TB on the new model, 2TB on mine. I would recommend the MED500X2 to anyone interested in keeping the HD audio in uncompressed format and not downsampled if their amp can decode it. If you have not heard the difference in clarity, it truly is impressive.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL
kudos:139

No problem. As for the hearing the difference thing...not likely with me. I have tinitus in both ears that at times can be unbearable so loud music or sounds of any type is not on the menu for me.
--
"I can’t give you a surefire formula for success, but I can give you a formula for failure: try to please everybody all the time."
~ Herbert Bayard Swope

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to FTBoomer

For those who have issues getting the Asus to mount one or more USB drive volumes turn on the media server option on the Asus, wait 5 minutes and goto main screen and the drives should show mounted. Go back and turn off media server option (unless you want it on) and both drive volumes should stay mounted until they are removed. This is the only annoying issue so far but it's easily fixed with the above. The only time you will need it is when you mounting a new volume or you have unmounted a volume for whatever reason and reconnected it wanting to mount it again but it refuses to mount through the normal process. Took me a bit of playing to come up with this workaround...off to the forums at Asus to share
--
"I can’t give you a surefire formula for success, but I can give you a formula for failure: try to please everybody all the time."
~ Herbert Bayard Swope

swamibob

Auburndale, FL

I must tell you ispgeek, this new Asus RT-N56U router is by far the best router I have ever owned! It has streamed everything flawlessly to my MED500X and it is so much more responsive as far as if I want to jump ahead in the movie or as far as how quick it starts playing the movies. So far not one flaw, and setup took about 5 mins. I have also used it to transfer .iso images though the network to my other computer and it had a sustained transfer rate of 70 MB/s through the 1000mbs ethernet! That is almost as fast as I can transfer from one hard drive to another inside my computer. Awesome. Also, I was only getting 53mbs through my ubee modem/router from bright house over 801.11n. As soon as I connected my wireless computer at the same location I am getting full power and 150mbs connection. The best $120 I have spent in a long time. Finally a product that lived up to the hype. Highly recommended.
Rob

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to FTBoomer

I'm super glad to hear you are happy with the Asus. I know I am and virtually everyone I know is. The only real issue known so far is the NAS feature which I posted a work around fix for above and for most including myself it's really a non-issue. It's rare these days to have a company not known for a specific product type come out and knock all the other established companies out of the park. I think Asus did a great job this time.
--
~ Herbert Bayard Swope

c0c0c0
c0c0c0 is the color of my soul.

join:2004-12-20
Lexington, OK

Maybe their next router will be dual core with a gig of memory.... It is Asus...
--
»projectpostcard.org

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL

said by c0c0c0:

Maybe their next router will be dual core with a gig of memory.... It is Asus...

LOL!

evoxllx

join:2007-06-07
Winter Park, FL
reply to c0c0c0

Their new router will have 1GB of ram.

»wl500g.info/showthread.php?t=25929

Now if only they'd make the tcp timeout user configurable it would actually be a usable router for me and anyone who needs proper functionality.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL

1 edit

said by evoxllx:

Now if only they'd make the tcp timeout user configurable it would actually be a usable router for me and anyone who needs proper functionality.

With all due respect Evo... leave the TCP timeout thing off the table. There is no issue with this router as you claim....NONE....Zip...Nadda! Aint happenin and since you don't have this router its kinda hard for you to even support your claim nor has anyone else anywhere I have been able to search supported your claim. I have the router with using every single software package you mentioned and under the exact same conditions and the issue cannot be duplicated nor do I know anyone that has been able to.
--
~ Herbert Bayard Swope

evoxllx

Winter Park, FL

said by BHNtechXpert:

said by evoxllx:

With all due respect Evo... leave the TCP timeout thing off the table. There is no issue with this router as you claim....NONE....Zip...Nadda! Aint happenin and since you don't have this router its kinda hard for you to even support your claim nor has anyone else anywhere I have been able to search supported your claim. I have the router with using every single software package you mentioned and under the exact same conditions and the issue cannot be duplicated nor do I know anyone that has been able to.

It was an issue back when I had the router so unless you just haven't noticed the effects, they fixed it or you're just lying as far as I'm concerned the issue is still there.

Considering how easy it is to return a router I'm tempted to buy one just to prove it.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL

said by evoxllx:

said by BHNtechXpert:

said by evoxllx:

It was an issue back when I had the router so unless you just haven't noticed the effects, they fixed it or you're just lying as far as I'm concerned the issue is still there.

Considering how easy it is to return a router I'm tempted to buy one just to prove it.

Evo there isn't one documented instance or discussion relating to this router and model and your problem anywhere besides your own claim and you don't even have the router to support your claims now. As was stated in several previous posts every condition as you described it was duplicated and at no time was I able to replicate the condition you describe.

I think slightly more disturbing (and annoying) is your insistance on posting about a subject you have yet to substantiate as it applies to this device (especially not currently owning one) and it really makes me wonder if you are just trolling the thread to be annoying. Rather than keep repeating yourself hows about some shred of something that substantiates your claim as it applies to this router and firmware. Until then I'm somewhat inclined to just hit the ignore button. I don't want to be rude but I think it's really inappropriate to claim something doesn't work and then not back it up with even a shred of evidence especially when others who do have the device are unable to duplicate your claim and outcome despite best efforts.

I've also given you a graceful out on this proposing the novel concept that you just got a bad router your first go around but strangely enough you seem very obsessed with going down a path without so much as scintilla of evidence to support your claim.

Now I could just let it go unanswered but what you're claiming is serious...I think you have an obligation to either produce some evidence (besides yourself) to support your claim or for now gracefully keep it to yourself as it applies to this device.
--
~ Herbert Bayard Swope

evoxllx

Winter Park, FL

said by BHNtechXpert:

Evo there isn't one documented instance or discussion relating to this router and model and your problem anywhere besides your own claim and you don't even have the router to support your claims now. As was stated in several previous posts every condition as you described it was duplicated and at no time was I able to replicate the condition you describe.

I think slightly more disturbing (and annoying) is your insistance on posting about a subject you have yet to substantiate as it applies to this device (especially not currently owning one) and it really makes me wonder if you are just trolling the thread to be annoying. Rather than keep repeating yourself hows about some shred of something that substantiates your claim as it applies to this router and firmware. Until then I'm somewhat inclined to just hit the ignore button. I don't want to be rude but I think it's really inappropriate to claim something doesn't work and then not back it up with even a shred of evidence especially when others who do have the device are unable to duplicate your claim and outcome despite best efforts.

I've also given you a graceful out on this proposing the novel concept that you just got a bad router your first go around but strangely enough you seem very obsessed with going down a path without so much as scintilla of evidence to support your claim.

Now I could just let it go unanswered but what you're claiming is serious...I think you have an obligation to either produce some evidence (besides yourself) to support your claim or for now gracefully keep it to yourself as it applies to this device.

I'm sure there have been plenty of people running across this issue but they might not have fully understood it like I have.

Many of them might just complain about it in a general way such as connections getting dropped, etc. not specifically mentioning tcp timeouts.

Also, who has tried to duplicate my claims? I see no one that has asked me any specific details about how to duplicate anything so please drop the bs about your "best efforts".

Even if it's true that you haven't seen the issue that still doesn't mean it's not an issue as there are many workarounds that you might be using maybe without you even knowing since many ftp servers (pure-ftpd) for example that can workaround this tcp timeout issue there are also workarounds for ssh and just about anything that would be affected by this.

It's possible the router was bad however this issue is very easy to identify for me and too specific of an issue to have simply been a bad router.

The only way for me to prove it would be to buy the router again and even then I have a feeling you would still deny it being an inherent issue with the router.

How about for now we just agree on the fact that consumer routers should add the option to have a user configurable tcp timeout without having to use third party firmware.

I think that sounds reasonable enough...

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL

said by evoxllx:

said by BHNtechXpert:

I'm sure there have been plenty of people running across this issue but they might not have fully understood it like I have.

Many of them might just complain about it in a general way such as connections getting dropped, etc. not specifically mentioning tcp timeouts.

Also, who has tried to duplicate my claims? I see no one that has asked me any specific details about how to duplicate anything so please drop the bs about your "best efforts".

Even if it's true that you haven't seen the issue that still doesn't mean it's not an issue as there are many workarounds that you might be using maybe without you even knowing since many ftp servers (pure-ftpd) for example that can workaround this tcp timeout issue there are also workarounds for ssh and just about anything that would be affected by this.

It's possible the router was bad however this issue is very easy to identify for me and too specific of an issue to have simply been a bad router.

The only way for me to prove it would be to buy the router again and even then I have a feeling you would still deny it being an inherent issue with the router.

How about for now we just agree on the fact that consumer routers should add the option to have a user configurable tcp timeout without having to use third party firmware.

Evo tell me exactly what type of FTP server you were connecting to (Pure...what?) I will configure my server for exactly the configuration you were using. It's not that I want to make the issue go away I want to duplicate it if at all possible for the purposes of bettering the device..so send me exactly what you used...give the grossest of details and I will again try to duplicate your issue. Now the TCP Timeout Window setting is different than what you were talking about in a previous thread and this router. Your complaint then was of malformed TCP packets. Are you better clarifying your concern now or has it changed?

As for a user configurable TCP Timeout Window I'm kind of tossed on this one. While I understand why you might want it I also see where in the wrong hands this could subtantially impact the performance of the device. DDWRT has long been the choice for those who want to gain access to every freakin tiny feature of their device and exchange for the enhanced services the DDWRT user accepts responsibility for anything they do that might impact performance or the device itself. The stock customer on the otherhand accepts no responsibility and since the general Joe refuses to learn anything about the devices they own this tends to cause problems.

I totally get where you are comin from...not sure if that's the proper solution to it though. Get me the other information if at all possible and I will attempt to recreate it.
--
~ Herbert Bayard Swope

evoxllx

Winter Park, FL

said by BHNtechXpert:

said by evoxllx:

said by BHNtechXpert:

Evo tell me exactly what type of FTP server you were connecting to (Pure...what?) I will configure my server for exactly the configuration you were using. It's not that I want to make the issue go away I want to duplicate it if at all possible for the purposes of bettering the device..so send me exactly what you used...give the grossest of details and I will again try to duplicate your issue. Now the TCP Timeout Window setting is different than what you were talking about in a previous thread and this router. Your complaint then was of malformed TCP packets. Are you better clarifying your concern now or has it changed?

As for a user configurable TCP Timeout Window I'm kind of tossed on this one. While I understand why you might want it I also see where in the wrong hands this could subtantially impact the performance of the device. DDWRT has long been the choice for those who want to gain access to every freakin tiny feature of their device and exchange for the enhanced services the DDWRT user accepts responsibility for anything they do that might impact performance or the device itself. The stock customer on the otherhand accepts no responsibility and since the general Joe refuses to learn anything about the devices they own this tends to cause problems.

I totally get where you are comin from...not sure if that's the proper solution to it though. Get me the other information if at all possible and I will attempt to recreate it.

I don't recall complaining about malformed packets I have always been complaining about the tcp timeout value being too low.

Using vsftpd for the server and filezilla for the client in passive mode.

I would randomly (not always) get disconnected when listing directories the error would look like this.

Command: PASV
Error: Disconnected from server
Error: Failed to retrieve directory listing

I've had the same issue on dd-wrt before and after raising the tcp timeout value higher it went away completely.

One way I was always able to duplicate it without having to randomly run into it was connecting then waiting 5 minutes for vsftpd to close your connection (default session timeout on vsftpd is 5 mins) then refresh the listing it should give that error I posted above.

As for ssh typically I would have to be constantly receiving data for it to timeout such as tailing a log maybe try tailing a frequently updated log for 30 mins+.

I know putty has a lot of tolerance for network issues it will reconnect and such without actually erroring out a lot of the time so ssh problems might not be very obvious in a short period of time.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL

Thanks man...I'll hopefully start to play tonight. I'm somewhat distracted with a family members computer that managed to get infected with Alureon on Monday (may the fleas of a thousand camels infest that virus makers armpits and crotch)...so I'm on the last steps of repairing the damage done by the virus.

As for the malformed packets thing...sorry if I have you confused with another...thats honestly what chapped me so much because I know better..now I have to go find out who the heck that was that posted that nonsense.

As for you issue that should be fairly easy to recreate. Even after more pondering of your desire to have that as a user setting I'm still leaning towards not on a stock unit. You do realize the issues that one can cause themselves with that set incorrectly right? Especially if the router has limited memory or resources.
--
~ Herbert Bayard Swope

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to FTBoomer

Just a heads up to you Asus RT owners in this thread. The max drive size you connect to the media server on this router is 2TB. The new 3TB drives will not work at this time. If you have problems getting your drives to mount OR they mount but you can't see the drive in your network devices list let me know.
--
~ Herbert Bayard Swope

evoxllx

Winter Park, FL
reply to BHNtechXpert

said by BHNtechXpert:

As for you issue that should be fairly easy to recreate. Even after more pondering of your desire to have that as a user setting I'm still leaning towards not on a stock unit. You do realize the issues that one can cause themselves with that set incorrectly right? Especially if the router has limited memory or resources.

I don't see why having it as a setting would be an issue.

There are many other settings that could potentially cause people issues and yet they are still included.

This particular one not being there will guarantee issues for certain things so if anything it should be there for those who need it.

If someone is opening enough connections to cause issues on the router that wouldn't be the fault of the tcp timeout setting that would just be a limitation of the router and the fault of the user for not realizing they need something higher end for all those connections.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL

They might build that into the next version of firmware who knows. So far they have surprised me with whats in the firmware already. Personally I don't give a hoot about that though...what I want them to fix is the ability of the built in NAS to support 3TB drives.
--
~ Herbert Bayard Swope

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to FTBoomer

Just checking...those with the Asus router hows it goin?

jj31234

join:2011-07-29
Wesley Chapel, FL

Just love it! Fast and stable. Took some fine tuning to get it running the way I wanted but all of the features you would ever want are there. Thanks for the advice.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL

1 edit

Good to hear! The only quirks I've found so far revolve around the built in NAS feature as I discussed earlier. The only other quirk is more of a logging issue. I monitor all my syslog capable equipment through my Synology box including the Asus and several times a day I'm logging a "udhcpc starts" which is categorized as an emergency issue but no connection is lost and the router isn't resetting in any way so I'm inclined to think this msg is erroneous. I have sent it off to Asus and hope to have a reponse back tomorrow.
--
~From time to time my posts may contain information derived from publicly available sources. If you ever have any question as to the source please feel free to ask and I will provide them to you.~

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to FTBoomer

New firmware update for the RT-N56U guys...

ASUS RT-N56U Firmware Version 1.0.1.7c
Support language: English / Traditional Chinese / French / German / Czech / Polish / Russian / Turkish / Thai / Malaysian / Simplified Chinese / Brazil / Dansk / Finsk / Norsk / Svensk
Fixed bug:
1. add initial usb modem support
2. add more ISP IPTV support
3. add EPSON AcuLaser series printer support
4. improve media server robustness and interoperability
5. dns server update
- seperate sockets for incoming and outgoing requests
- remove the use of 53 port for outgoing requests
- handle hostnames with – symbol
- improve cache lookup speed
- improve DNS request handling speed
6. fix WPS radio band switching issue
7. lots of Web GUI bug fix
--
~All truth goes through three phases. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as self-evident. - Einstein~

FTBoomer

join:2011-04-22
Tampa, FL

I've been holding off on this update since I use the Cisco VPN for my work laptop. Have you heard anything regarding this?

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL

FTB the update is working fine. I've been using it since release and no complaints at all. Remember firmware updates won't change your settings so worst case you just roll back the firmware. Unlike Dlink Asus does not block rollbacks

kdwycha

join:2003-01-30
Riverview, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House
reply to FTBoomer

BUFFALO WHR-HP-G300N Wireless-N Router Nfiniti High Power 802.11b/g/n up to 300Mbps/ DD-WRT Open Source support

I currently have the above router connected to RR lightning 40mb/s connection and it has been running great. One good thing about it is DD-WRT comes preinstalled. If you dont need gigabit connectivity on your network which I don't care about since I dont transfer large files between PC's it is great. The wireless range is awesome as well!

Here is a link to look at it on Newegg....

»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···33162033

swamibob

Auburndale, FL
reply to BHNtechXpert

ispgeek,
So have you had any problems with the new firmware for our Asus RT-N56U? Anything new? Just noticed that you posted there was an update.

swamibob

Auburndale, FL
reply to kdwycha

kdwycha,
That buffalo router does look like a good deal for $50. I am partial to my new Asus RT-N56U. It is about $120, but has the 1Gb/s support which gives you almost USB 3.0 speed between computers and a nice advanced GUI. It also has excellent range and increased my wireless n connections from 52Mb/s to 150Mb/s which is the max for my wireless computers. Signal strength at the same location went from 60% to 100%. I have had 3 other routers before this one and this is by far the best I have ever had.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to swamibob

said by swamibob:

ispgeek,
So have you had any problems with the new firmware for our Asus RT-N56U? Anything new? Just noticed that you posted there was an update.

No sir so far the new firmware has been perfect. So if there are any issues nothing glares out at me at least so far...
--
~All truth goes through three phases. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as self-evident. - Einstein~

swamibob

Auburndale, FL
reply to BHNtechXpert

ISP,
So you are saying if I update the firmware, it is going to remember all of my current settings and I won't have to reconfigure my manually assigned ip's or password?
Swami

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL

Yessir that would be correct. Just in case because things do happen backup your settings in the admin tool.