BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL
kudos:146
reply to ispalten

Re: [Internet] Best Routers for Bridged Networks

said by ispalten:

I was using it and it was OK, even had a GUEST account... found some 'signal' problems though so I went looking around. Found a later 3.0.0.3.135 ASUS flash that was originally made for the N66U.

See »vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id=···ge=en-us and this part :

------------------
»www.asus.ru/ftp/NW_TO_TEST/RT-N5···_135.trx
------------------

for the firmware.

Also in here --> »code.google.com/p/rt-n56u/issues···il?id=23

So far it has been working fine, but I did see some small hiccups in the Media Server, duplicated file names of different sizes, but I could have possibly rebooted the router during the indexing.

Anyone else have experience with this RU version? I know it is from ASUS it seems. Seems stable.

Irv S.

The Russian version is not from Asus and it works fine except for the latest revision. I strongly advise AGAINST using any firmware ported from the N66 as it has significant issues. Stay with the firmware either stock Asus or what I have recomended only please. I have your best interest in mind here...let me break things instead of you...
--
~All truth goes through three phases. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as self-evident. - Arthur Schopenhauer ~

ispalten

join:2005-04-16
Clermont, FL

OK, I'll go back to Padavan then. Your word is good enough for me.

Irv S.
--
Irv Spalten

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL

said by ispalten:

OK, I'll go back to Padavan then. Your word is good enough for me.

Irv S.

Since I have to support you Irv you would be doing me a big favor thank you sir... and I for one am not putting anything on my 56 that was ported from the 66 knowing what I know about 66 firmware at the moment. While its better there are still issues with it...they might have fixed them but I don't have time to test every flavor out there right now. I just finished reporting the bug on the current flav of the Russian.
--
~All truth goes through three phases. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as self-evident. - Arthur Schopenhauer ~

mhowie

join:2004-12-28
The Colony, TX
reply to BHNtechXpert

said by BHNtechXpert:

Hold off on the latest version of firmware... 1.1.2.1-004 - it has major issues with upstream performance and also remote access to the admin web gui. I'll let you know more when I do.

Appreciate the recon work you are doing on each of these...takes the occasional unwanted "surprise" out of upgrading.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL

said by mhowie:

said by BHNtechXpert:

Hold off on the latest version of firmware... 1.1.2.1-004 - it has major issues with upstream performance and also remote access to the admin web gui. I'll let you know more when I do.

Appreciate the recon work you are doing on each of these...takes the occasional unwanted "surprise" out of upgrading.

Not a problem Mhowie...figure better me than our customers.
--

mhowie

The Colony, TX

Version .005 is out...

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to FTBoomer

Wow... okay that was fast. I will load it now and report back tomorrow after I try to break it.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to FTBoomer

ASUS RT-N56U custom firmware 1.1.2.2-005 by Padavan

This firmware is based on:
- Original firmwares 1.0.x.x.
- Linux kernel from wive-rtnl project, trunc 3.1.3.
gitorious.org/wive-rtnl-ralink-r···firmware)

Changes to firmware 1.1.2.1-004:

- Update Linux kernel to wive-rtnl trunc 3.1.3:
1) IPv6: keep permanent addresses on admin down.
2) MIPS: Reorder operations in stackframe.h for better scheduling.
3) netfilter: possible unaligned packet header in ip_route_me_harder.
- Updated kernel driver pppol2tp from wl500g project, avoid TX buffers reallocation.
- Fixed kernel driver pptp, fixed PPTP MPPE encryption issue with HW_NAT, increased
transmit speed (TX), avoid all TX buffers reallocation.
- Added scheduler for WiFi Guest AP.
- Added list of connected VPN clients to VPN server.
- Increased max length of login/pasw for VPN server ACL (max 32 symbols).
- Fixed login/pasw with used space symbols for VPN server ACL.
- Fixed bcrelay control for many connected VPN clients.
- Added forced DDNS update every 48 hours for prevent DDNS account drop for some
DDNS services by reason of account inactivity.
- Updated udpxy to v1.0.23.
- Updated minidlna to v1.0.25.
- Updated vsftpd to v2.3.5 with new ACL extension module.
- Updated transmission to v2.61.
- Added new page Wake-On-LAN with hosts list (NewGUI).
- Added add popover for usb-disk status (NewGUI).
- Fixed DMZ issue (regression in 1.1.2.1).
- Fixed firewall DoS filter (relax syn limit).
- Fixed DHCP client in AP mode. DHCP client in AP mode now disabled by default.
- Fixed "Administration - Restore Setting" issue (NewGUI).
- Fixed Latvia/Estonia daylight time. Please update the timezone from list.
- Fixed network charts for VLAN-based firmware build (NewGUI).
- Fixed Reboot button issue on page Main_AdmStatus_Content.asp (NewGUI).
- Fixed issues on page Advanced_WAN_Content.asp (NewGUI).
- Fixed route table output format in WebGUI.
--

mhowie

The Colony, TX

So does this mean no breakage was achieved?

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL

said by mhowie:

So does this mean no breakage was achieved?

LOL so far no problems. Need to test one thing but can't do it until tomorrow which is the remote admin console. But no nothing major to worry about if you want to play.
--

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to FTBoomer

The latest version is fine...no major issues found.

mhowie

The Colony, TX

And another... version 1.1.2.2-006

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to FTBoomer

Yup I'm on 6 now....fixed the previous issues but it may have a problem with versions the router. If you flash to it and suddenly start dropping WAN connectivity flash back to 5 and let me know so I can get it reported. Already had once incident this week. Other than that another high quality rev so far....if you feel like playing go ahead.

mhowie

The Colony, TX

I'm waiting on you to give the all clear! Might be rev 7 (or back to 5)?

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to FTBoomer

Go with 6 BUT if you have problems as described in my last post you know what to do and let me know.

ispalten

Clermont, FL

said by BHNtechXpert:

Go with 6 BUT if you have problems as described in my last post you know what to do and let me know.

Gary, I can't guarantee my problem was what you described, but I had to go back to 8i.

A little history, Laraine got a new computer, a Dell and it had a WLAN Dell Wireless 1703 card... 150Mbps connection to the ASUS, whereas the old LinkSys card in the old computer got 270Mbps (do no get on my case about wireless ). Messed with Dell, they determined the card wouldn't cut it and sent an Intel 2230 as a replacement. Not much better, but with work it would connect at 300Mbps but on next boot revert to 150Mbps. OK, sent a LinkSys AES2500. 2.4 Ghz connected at 144Mbp... (ASUS on Padavan .006)... hmm... turned on the 5GHZ and it connected at 300Mbps, even on boot.

OK, last night, BH TV iPad app was unviewable. It dropped the connection on ALL channels repeatedly. We did NOT have any indication on either the wired or wireless computers signal was dropping but the iPad just didn't work right last night.

This morning I went back to 8i and then tested the iPad on BH TV, working fine again?

I did have the 5Ghz radio off before on the Padavan .006 and never experienced a problem until I basically turned on the 5Ghz channel. Each radio has and had different SSID's.

Will test again tonight in case it is some other cause, but the test I did this morning was from the same spot as last night.
--
Irv Spalten

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to FTBoomer

Again it wasn't the router. You know how I feel about wireless and rated speeds Irv so I won't go through that again Now I know why you were having issues with the current flavor of firmware.

(1) Its doubtful that you followed the script removal thats listed on the front page next to the download link because its difficult for some (surprise me and say you did it).

Do not forget to remove /etc/storage/start_script.sh
when the firmware is being updated from 1.0.1.8e-p2
or earlier versions!

Go to the admin page.

»192.168.1.1/Main_AdmStatus_Content.asp (look I made it easy for you just click the link )

Type: reset_ss.sh (in the box)

then press Enter.

(2) When you upgraded to the latest it is possible that you didn't get a good load in which case just reboot the router and load it again...also make sure that you reboot the router once done.

(3) Ther last two revisios of firmware have caused the wifi location settings to go wonky (USA, Canada, EU etc). If you end up on an overseas setting you will not be able to connect via wifi so its important that you check those settings on both 2.4ghz and 5ghz radios. I found out the hard way myself and thought I warned everyone here.

Other than that nobody else is reporting the issues you described with the latest version of firmware. I check the complaint logs on a regular basis.
--

ispalten

Clermont, FL

Gary, thanks for the reply...

First I have to say is that I never had an older versions of Padavan on. I've done RECOVERY on the router a few times after I've had one even older than that on. I 'assume' the RECOVERY that loads a fresh ASUS flash (how I put 8i on) does clean out everything. Although I did read that warning on reset_ss.sh, I never did do it.

Yeah, I noticed the location has been set to Kawjalean Island I recall, set it to here, first thing I check now on a flash. So that isn't the case.

I'm in sort of a quandary here. All has to do with Laraine's new computer. Forgetting my 'desire' to run wireless for her (and not have wires along the wall) I want to have the new computer working 'as advertised'. It isn't. Dell originally had a Dell Wireless-N 1703 half-card in and it would only connect at 150Mbps... 10 feet from the router. The old computer in that same spot connected at 270Mbps (LinkSys 14x card). Dell got on the computer tried everything. Decision, card was bad, but they decided to switch to an Intel Centrino Wireless-N 2230. Same results, but with that card if you changed wireless settings it would then connect at 300Mbps, however back to 150Mbps on the next boot. Dell decided it might be the antenna's (only 2) so they then sent a LinkSys AES2500 Dual band USB device. At 2.4Ghz I get only 144Mbps... tried 5Ghz, 300Mbps... so for now I switched on the 5Ghz band for her computer. Problem was the BHNTV app kept dropping the connection (I was on Padavan at the time). So I reverted to 8i. BHNTV was working poorly on Padavan before I started using the 5Ghz radio (was off before).

However BHNTV started working poorly again last night... on 8i...

Now it got interesting. Yesterday Laraine's USB card 'dropped'. Said it had a problem and failed. All I had to do was re-enable it and it connected... Today, same thing? Not good.

So I just flashed over to Padavan .006 again. Laraine's computer picked up the network immediately. I checked the BHNTV app and it is working fine too?

I give up? I did do the reset_ss.sh thing now too just in case and will re-boot soon.

Once Dell declares this fixed (they want us to have some time on the USB device, I've not told them about the fails yet) and possibly revisit why the other 2 cards and the USB don't connect at 300Mbps on 2.4Ghz, I think I'll switch her over to WIRED and turn off the 5Ghz then anyway.

Right now, all is good... time will tell.

I'm not totally sure what you mean by Location Settiing... on the 2.4Ghz I see the timezone, and on 5Ghz I see Region code. I've set those to Eastern Timezone and US Region. Are those the ones you mean or are there others?
--
Irv Spalten

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to FTBoomer

Yes...right at the bottom. Needs to be USA Channels 1-11 (Hey nothing would make me happier than to get those additional channels but that means you have to change your region codes for the other devices which isn't possible most of the time).

ispalten

Clermont, FL

said by BHNtechXpert:

Yes...right at the bottom. Needs to be USA Channels 1-11 (Hey nothing would make me happier than to get those additional channels but that means you have to change your region codes for the other devices which isn't possible most of the time).

Yes, 2.4Ghz is set to that, and the 5Ghz of course is set higher, 36 and others up. 2.4Ghz is on 11 with the sideband on 7. InSSIDer shows no others even near by these and if there is one, it is 1/2 the power so it shouldn't interfere. No 5Ghz SSID's but mine.
--
Irv Spalten

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL

1 edit
reply to FTBoomer

No I am just talking about the region codes...not gonna help you with the wireless part

That is between you and Dell.

ispalten

Clermont, FL

1 edit

BHNTV in the bedroom was not really working well last night. Many drops, stalls, and repeats. It worked fine yesterday around noon when I tested it there after putting on .006 Padavan.

Even tried both bands on the iPad to connect, performance was about the same. Both the 2.4 and 5Ghz signal were about the same during the day and night. It was because of this poor BHNTV performance I went back to the official ASUS 8i. Then BHNTV worked fine.

I just don't understand why it would work during the day OK and not at night?
--
Irv Spalten

EDIT: I should add the ESPN app was working fine, I was able to watch Monday Night Football without even a single missed frame while during that period BHNTV was having its problems (Pawn Stars for instance).

ispalten

Clermont, FL

Last night until 10PM (almost on the dot) BHNTV was working fine on all channels in the bedroom. Then (I was watching the history channel) it started to act up. I tried both bands, the same.

Restarts would mean TCP/IP asked for data packets again I would think, but a feed like this, TV, that would have to come from the server, no? I wouldn't think the server could do that? I'm not talking 1 second delay either, but almost a minute. Sometimes it restarted and then jumped ahead to what I assume was the live feed?

This morning, the wired connection couldn't be made to the router. I had to disable and enable the connectiod a few times before it connected... Wireless machine connected immediately this morning? Very odd?

I'm on Padavan .006.
--
Irv Spalten

ispalten

Clermont, FL

Again last night, watching the Discovery Channel on BHNTV. At 10:02PM it started to go bad. First think I did was open the Network settings and the only SSID's the iPad saw was my 2 SSID's (2.4 and 5GHZ). Closed the app and tried again. No difference. At one point it worked fine for 5 minutes or so. At 11AM I couldn't switch channels and none would work, got a black screen that said unable to provide the channel. I decided to move to the 5Ghz SSID. I checked other apps, ESPN, USA TODAY, etc., and all were working. Now BHNTV wouldn't even authenticate? OK, back to 2.4Ghz, same thing? I opened Safari and logged onto the router. It was responsive and I didn't see anything wrong? I decided to re-boot the router (from the wireless iPad connection). It did, had to close Safari and re-open it and I got to the router. Went to BHNTV and I had to sign-in. Worked FINE!!!

I"m on Padavan .006, but what is so magical about 10PM and BHNTV?
--
Irv Spalten

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to FTBoomer

Please revert your firmware and router settings to your last known working condition. Yes that means go back to whatever you were running prior to all this and if at all possible change all router settings as well. Better....yet default the router back to factory, rebuild your port forwarding settings only and then save that config somewhere safe.

Do NOT change any other settings but your port forwarding, SSID and WPA2 key. Everything else stays stock...

ispalten

Clermont, FL

Doing that. Last known working was the .006 Padavan. I just reset it to DEFAULT and changed the few items I needed too. The Network share for the USB drive, the FTP for it, and the 2.4Ghz settings. Nothing else. and I've disabled the 5Ghz SSID and we'll see tonight. Fails, I'm going back to DEFAULT, put the Router into RESCUE mode, put in 8I, test, fails, put on .006. I will NOT enable the 5Ghz SSID in any setup. I have never used Port Forwarding. Only other change I had was to use the Google DNS's.
--
Irv Spalten

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to FTBoomer

Irv you don't need to put router into rescue mode. Just flash back to Asus native firmware over the top and do a hard reset (meaning to defaults). Please dont change anything other than what you need to connect everything. Need it as clean as possible.

ispalten

Clermont, FL

Status from last night.

During the day since I already had Padavan .006 installed, I decided I'd just disable the 5Ghz SSID. I went to the 5Ghz setting and on the first tab just hid the radio, then on the PROFESSIONAL tab I disable the radio (both times I did an apply).

Was watching the Dophin's football game from about 8:40 on. 10PM came and it was still working fine. 10:30 the screen went black... oh oh, tried another game, the Giant's game... it was OK? Went back to the Dolphin's game, it said THEY were having Technical Difficulties, phew... worked fine for the rest of the night once they came back on, and watched another channel to mid-night.

So, the 5Ghz channel seems to be the problem, even if the iPad is connected to that channel like last night (I was on the 2.4Ghz this night).

What I don't understand is WHY the BHNTV app is the ONLY one that has a problem? All other apps work fine withthe 5Ghz band on?

Would sort of point the finger at the BHNTV app, no?

Don't forget, I was the one complaining about this same problem before the last update. Then when the update came out it cleared the problem. The problem returned once I enabled the 5Ghz band. That suggests to me some possible error handling might not be correct in the app?

I guess you have no way to get to the developers and no additional error debugging can be done. So I'm left with 2 choices, use the app or the 5Ghz channel, not both.
--
Irv Spalten

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to FTBoomer

Version 1.1.2.3-009 was released overnight. I will start testing immediately and get back with you all.

ATTENTION: If your current firmware version is 1.1.2.2-006 or lower, it is absolutely necessary to save your settings to a .CFG file using WebGUI BEFORE upgrading to a newer version. After the upgrade, restore your settings from the saved .CFG file in a usual way.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to FTBoomer

ATTENTION:
If your current firmware version is 1.1.2.2-006 or lower, it is absolutely necessary to save your
settings to a .CFG file using WebGUI BEFORE upgrading to a newer version. After the upgrade, restore your
settings from the saved .CFG file in a usual way.

Changes to firmware ver. 1.1.2.2-006:

- Increased available NVRAM space from 32 to 60 kb. To avoid losing of user settings it is necessary
to save them before the upgrade and restore them from the saved .CFG file after.
- Increased table data's input limit up to 64 items.
- Disabled NAPI (RX-polling) of wired network kernel driver (raeth) in 2xRGMII mode.
- Added UVC kernel modules (webcam support).
- Added discrimination between work-days and weekends in Wi-Fi AP and guest AP scheduler.
- Added ability to enter description of each Wi-Fi MAC address in Wireless MAC filter.
- Extended Firewall's MAC Address Filter function to a full-fledged Parental Control function. Each
MAC Address Filter entry may now be associated with particular time and day of the week.
- Updated tunnelbroker.net DDNS service link in "inadyn".
- Added 3 retry count limit for DDNS refresh (inadyn).
- AsusDDNS client was moved to "inadyn". Deprecated "ez-ipupdate" package was removed.
- Corrected some design shortcomings on DDNS web page when using AsusDDNS.
- Added ability to disable STP protocol in LAN bridge when the device is in "Router" mode.
- Added DNS3 field in DHCP server settings.
- Disabled forcing of router's LAN IP as DHCP's DNS if at least one DHCP's DNS address is entered manually.
- Added drop-down listing of clients with auto-substitution in MAC and IP addresses fields on the majority
of the web pages (NewGUI).
- Increased the limit of "Maximum simultaneously connected users" setting up to 50 (SMB/FTP).
- Added ability to hide partitions on a storage for FTP protocol. Create a file named .hidden in the root
directory of the partition to hide it.
- Corrected logic of table data entries removal. Now those entries will be properly removed from NVRAM.
- Fixed UNIX password (telnet/ssh access) issue for login or password that contain characters "$".
- Added an ability to control the LEDs on the front panel of the router.
- WPS button settings, Ethernet LED and Front LED settings were moved to a separate page named "Tweaks".
- Altered the default order of some pages in WebGUI.
- Added separate page "Advanced_Netfilter_Content.asp". Removed "NAT Passthrough" page.
- Added "show/hide password" buttons (NewGUI).
- Added icons for Storage/Printer/Modem (NewGUI). Thanks to the ixbt-forum user "AK47".
- Added button "Clear" to syslog floating panel.
- Ability to change LAN parameters without reboot.
- Updated Russian localized strings.
- Fixed issues in Transmission WebGUI (2.61+).
- Fixed "Wi-Fi scheduler time-zone changes won't take effect without reboot" issue.
- Updated dnsmasq to ver. 2.63.