uniqs
share rss forum feed

ispalten

join:2005-04-16
Clermont, FL
reply to BHNtechXpert

Re: [Internet] Best Routers for Bridged Networks

Any STATUS on this yet, .0010?

Last night I was transferring files between 2 wireless computers (40GB's of data at around 16Mbps) and during that time the iPad was 'useless' for almost anything that required internet access. .006 it appears could use a QOS capability.

I assume you've been too busy to make a call on .0010?
--
Irv Spalten

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL
kudos:141
reply to FTBoomer

.10 is working fine for me. Irv I suggest if you are having issues with specific versions of firmware that you report them there.

RUQRU
Premium
join:2005-07-30
Florida

Does anyone know if the latest official ASUS firmware: ASUS RT-N56U Firmware version 1.0.1.8j is OK?

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to FTBoomer

It's fine...Padavan is better but the stock is fine.

RUQRU
Premium
Florida

This site has some screenshots and info on the Padavan firmware:
»klseet.com/index.php/asus/asus-r···1018d-p3

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to FTBoomer

Nope thats the old GUI version. All new now

RUQRU
Premium
Florida

1 edit

I uploaded the latest Padavan. Where do I configure IPSEC passthrough? It is not in the same place as the OEM BIOS>

Thanks...

Found it: It is under FIREWALL-->Netfiler

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to FTBoomer

Sorry just to this MSG...glad you found it.

RUQRU
Premium
Florida

The Padavan firmware exposes so many features on the RT-N56U that I have no idea what they do...so I am not going to mess with them Is there any documentation on the best configuration?

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to FTBoomer

No...bt then again there isn't any real documentation for most routers nowadays. You just have to play and google what you don't know. Bottom line don't mess with something unless you are comfortable with it.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to FTBoomer

Thanks to a tip from Irv I am now testing another custom build of firmware for the RTN56U. Not going to post the link quite yet because I have already discovered some things that may annoy the heck out of people especially coming from Padavan. More soon.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL

1 edit
reply to FTBoomer

Sorry Irv...as pretty as the new firmware is... it fails badly. DMZ doesn't work which is a instant fail by my standards so until they fix that HUGE issue I cannot recommend that beta firmware you sent.

In fact port forwarding on that firmware is broken period....wow I am so surprised that others haven't been screaming about it.

And to add insult to injury I just spent the last 30 minutes recovering from the router being bricked when I returned to stock firmware. So my recommendation is DO NOT use that beta firmware floating around. It's dangerous and the recover process isn't so fun nor does the RTN56U wireless recovery tool work. You need to use an alternate method which is a PIA.

ispalten

Clermont, FL

Thanks Gary... I appreciate it.

I don't use Port Forwarding now DMZ, but I have been able to go between ASUS official, Padavan, and the ASUS Beta without problems. Sorry you had any and the for the grief I caused you.

Right now, I'm sitting on official ASUS, iPad's connected at 5Ghz as is one of the wireless computers, other one at 2.4Ghz, and the other computers are wired.

All seems well so far (except for occasional problems 'some days' with you know what).

Thanks for testing the flash out again.
--
Irv Spalten

ispalten

Clermont, FL

1 recommendation

reply to FTBoomer

New Padavan out ...

=============================
Beta version based on 3.0.x kernel is released and available in the downloads section on google code »code.google.com/p/rt-n56u/dow...···can=1&q= . Let me emphasize this again: it is in beta stage, although the kernel itself is stable. It also was tested to some extent before the release.

Restore to defaults is not required, just don't forget to run reset_ss.sh script once after the upgrade.

What to expect from the 3.0.x kernel in general:

- IPv6 support out of the box
- Improved kernel priority scheduler (sirq won't kill userspace anymore, webgui will always be available no matter how busy the router is)
- Faster WAN speeds without FastNAT and hw_nat modules (the speeds are the same with HW_NAT enabled. FastNAT wasn't ported to 3.0.x kernel yet but it looks like there's no need in it now).
- Ext4 + posix_fallocate and XFS filesystems are now supported
- New NTFS kernel driver from N65U (ufsd.ko 8.6). It is rather fast but unfortunately doesn't support NFS export and HFS+ support is disabled. It also supports volumes which are >2TB.
- USB driver now knows more different devices' quirks so more reliable usb storage support

What to expect from the current 3.0.2.4-011 release:

- USB read/write is slower than on current kernel (~2-3 MB slower) because usb_storage process takes up more CPU resources. This should be fixable. The developers have already tried to fix it but got some other regressions in return, so this fix was reverted.
- IPv6 support is almost there. Only few unfinished parts of rc logic left: tunneling, DHCPv6 client and prefix delegation, IPv6 over PPP, IPv6 automatic route creation. Everything else is already working properly (that is static addresses, RAdv, DHCPv6 server) so it is actually possible now to setup IPv6 manually through console (current build compiled with IPv6 support flag disabled though).
- No bugs detected that's why public beta test is in progress

Now considering FastNAT module from wive-NG project:

IPoE connection speeds
Current 2.x kernel:
FastNAT=OFF
~270 mbit/s
FastNAT=ON
~420 mbit/s

3.0.42 kernel:
~400 mbit/s without FastNAT and some other optimizations.

With HW_Nat module enabled speed is around ~930-940 mbit/s on both kernels.

In other words: happy testing! Please report back any anomalies and bugs you might find.
================

Above info from »forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showt···7&page=6 which seems to be a good place to watch and report problems.
--
Irv Spalten

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL

1 recommendation

said by ispalten:

New Padavan out ...

=============================
Beta version based on 3.0.x kernel is released and available in the downloads section on google code »code.google.com/p/rt-n56u/dow...···can=1&q= . Let me emphasize this again: it is in beta stage, although the kernel itself is stable. It also was tested to some extent before the release.

Restore to defaults is not required, just don't forget to run reset_ss.sh script once after the upgrade.

What to expect from the 3.0.x kernel in general:

- IPv6 support out of the box
- Improved kernel priority scheduler (sirq won't kill userspace anymore, webgui will always be available no matter how busy the router is)
- Faster WAN speeds without FastNAT and hw_nat modules (the speeds are the same with HW_NAT enabled. FastNAT wasn't ported to 3.0.x kernel yet but it looks like there's no need in it now).
- Ext4 + posix_fallocate and XFS filesystems are now supported
- New NTFS kernel driver from N65U (ufsd.ko 8.6). It is rather fast but unfortunately doesn't support NFS export and HFS+ support is disabled. It also supports volumes which are >2TB.
- USB driver now knows more different devices' quirks so more reliable usb storage support

What to expect from the current 3.0.2.4-011 release:

- USB read/write is slower than on current kernel (~2-3 MB slower) because usb_storage process takes up more CPU resources. This should be fixable. The developers have already tried to fix it but got some other regressions in return, so this fix was reverted.
- IPv6 support is almost there. Only few unfinished parts of rc logic left: tunneling, DHCPv6 client and prefix delegation, IPv6 over PPP, IPv6 automatic route creation. Everything else is already working properly (that is static addresses, RAdv, DHCPv6 server) so it is actually possible now to setup IPv6 manually through console (current build compiled with IPv6 support flag disabled though).
- No bugs detected that's why public beta test is in progress

Now considering FastNAT module from wive-NG project:

IPoE connection speeds
Current 2.x kernel:
FastNAT=OFF
~270 mbit/s
FastNAT=ON
~420 mbit/s

3.0.42 kernel:
~400 mbit/s without FastNAT and some other optimizations.

With HW_Nat module enabled speed is around ~930-940 mbit/s on both kernels.

In other words: happy testing! Please report back any anomalies and bugs you might find.
================

Above info from »forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showt···7&page=6 which seems to be a good place to watch and report problems.

PLEASE hold off until I have tested this...
--
~All truth goes through three phases. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as self-evident. - Arthur Schopenhauer ~

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL

1 edit
reply to FTBoomer

Checking again....

ispalten

Clermont, FL

Gary, the TOP PAGE is not updated, take the DOWNLOADS tab, »code.google.com/p/rt-n56u/downloads/list and you'll see it was posted 17 hours ago... DOWNLOADS tab on »code.google.com/p/rt-n56u/ which is the project home page. I am not posting SWILL. Check the site again please.
--
Irv Spalten

ispalten

Clermont, FL
reply to BHNtechXpert

Looks like the ASUS Official was updated today as well :

===================
ASUS RT-N56U Firmware version 1.0.1.8l
1. update Hardware NAT module to version 2.01
- improve PPPoE upstream throughput
- disable acceleration for all UDP flows
- no longer disable Hardware NAT when L2TP/IPSec passthrough is enabled
2. update minidlna to version 1.0.25
3. fix wireless ACL setting bug
File Size
7,8 (MBytes) 2012.09.18 update
====================

Since I was on 8j, (don't know what happened to k?) I have loaded it and will see how it works.
--
Irv Spalten

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to FTBoomer

Okay I will try this when I get home tonight and see how it goes.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to FTBoomer

I am upgraded to the BETA now....the GUI is 10x faster in this verson...night and day More to come.

RUQRU
Premium
Florida

I am currently running Padavan RT-N56U_1.1.2.3-010 (en-ru). New WebGUI. What is new in RT-N56U_3.0.2.4-011 (en-ru). New WebGUI. Based on Linux kernel 3.0.42? Why upgrade?

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL

said by RUQRU:

I am currently running Padavan RT-N56U_1.1.2.3-010 (en-ru). New WebGUI. What is new in RT-N56U_3.0.2.4-011 (en-ru). New WebGUI. Based on Linux kernel 3.0.42? Why upgrade?

Generally speaking you should always keep firmware current. Hold off a bit while I finish testing it but so far I'm happy with the results and there is benefit to upgrading.
--
~All truth goes through three phases. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as self-evident. - Arthur Schopenhauer ~

ispalten

Clermont, FL

New NEWS as of 10 minutes ago Gary... see the DOWNLOAD page, now showing version :

--------------------------------
RT-N56U_3.0.2.4-012_newgui.zip 7.1 MB
Description:

- Linux kernel 3.0.43.
- New WebGUI.

Changes to firmware ver. 3.0.2.4-011:
----------------------------------------------------------
- Upgrade Linux kernel to 3.0.43 from www.kernel.org.
- Fixed IPTV issue after PPP connection established.
- Fixed HW_NAT drop bindings issue.
- Fixed static routes metric, fixed static routes table in WebGUI.
- Fixed NTPD and DDNS update issue after router startup.
- Fixed upload CFG settings issue under IE9/IE10.
- Add pppoe-relay support (userspace only).
- Add HFS+ support (rw mode only w/o journal).
- Add Cisco 794x IP phones support in SIP ALG.

======================================
--
Irv Spalten

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to FTBoomer

Seriously?

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to FTBoomer

The GUI is the same so no new GUI and once again I will continue testing it.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to FTBoomer

Okay guys....all the things that could cause you grief have been checked and all work fine so feel free to try the new beta located in the downloads section on Padavans site. The revision # is above thank you Irv. One immediate thing you will notice is the GUI is considerably faster now.

RUQRU
Premium
Florida

1 recommendation

RT-N56U_3.0.2.4-012_newgui

I noticed IPv6 protocol not supported on current firmware build! Was this supported in prior builds? Any concern that it is not?

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to FTBoomer

Actually this is the first build where its in the menu option. It is in testing now and should be released shortly. It's unlikely you will need it right away so they have time to get it right.

cavalierfh

join:2002-06-18
Orlando, FL

1 edit

Woooah! I get off the forums for a few months and everything goes namby pamby!

---EDIT!!! I am a goober, I found the earlier comment/discussions about benefits/version history/etc. Let's just say I'm in a "it's working, don't break it" frame of mind, and will wait and watch to see what fancy gizmos that friendly Russian cooks up! ---

You guys are using a third party firmware for the RT-N56U these days?

I know you guys are EXTREEEEME, but, BHNtechXpert especially, I know how much you dig this router and I've been thrilled with it so I'm willing to give it a try if it will give me any significant performance/reliability/security increase.

I'm currently on ASUS 1.0.1.8i .. would I even notice anything, you think? Or are y'all just being gear heads?

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to FTBoomer

You will be fine on the upgrade BUT and very important...backup your current config before you upgrade because it will totally reset everything and then load your config back again and perform a power cycle.