Premium Member
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to allowiches

Premium Member

to allowiches

Re: [Internet] Best Routers for Bridged Networks

said by allowiches:

Gary's new picture looks like he should be selling used cars. "Trust me. It was driven by a little old lady to church on Sundays."

But it was..... of course you never asked the name of the church which happens to be "The Talladega Holy Union of the Sacred Hearts Church".
allowiches
join:2012-04-01
Palm Coast, FL

allowiches to kdwycha

to kdwycha
Gary's new picture looks like he should be selling used cars. "Trust me. It was driven by a little old lady to church on Sundays."

kdwycha
join:2003-01-30
Ruskin, FL

kdwycha to geo44

to geo44
said by geo44:

Maybe his boss is reading the site... hence the more professional look

True with companies oogling BHN, if it ain't broke, don't fix it

geo44
join:2013-03-20
Saint Petersburg, FL

geo44 to kdwycha

to kdwycha
Maybe his boss is reading the site... hence the more professional look

kdwycha
Ruskin, FL

1 edit

kdwycha to BHNtechXpert

to BHNtechXpert
said by BHNtechXpert:

said by kdwycha:

said by BHNtechXpert:

You don't even need to load Merlin. Simply go to the administration menu and change the mode from router to AP.

Not sure why I would change to AP when I am going to replace my current router with this router connected to a Motorola modem in bridge mode. Just like some of the added features of Merlin over the default AsusWRT.

Oops wrong post....I meant that for howie....

Ok I thought you flipped your lid lol. The new profile photo is odd btw. It's great if you were the CEO of Brighthouse but the weird hat one screams willingness to help. What im getting at is networking types and IT don't wear suits and if they do I don't trust them Used to work in a call center years ago and the IT guy wore a suit. I never liked that and his name was Jose and I would say "What's up Julio" when we would pass just to make him mad pretending I didn't know his name.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to kdwycha

Premium Member

to kdwycha
said by kdwycha:

said by BHNtechXpert:

You don't even need to load Merlin. Simply go to the administration menu and change the mode from router to AP.

Not sure why I would change to AP when I am going to replace my current router with this router connected to a Motorola modem in bridge mode. Just like some of the added features of Merlin over the default AsusWRT.

Oops wrong post....I meant that for howie....

kdwycha
Ruskin, FL

1 edit

kdwycha to BHNtechXpert

to BHNtechXpert
said by BHNtechXpert:

BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to FTBoomer

Premium Member

to FTBoomer

kdwycha
Ruskin, FL

kdwycha to Guide_Tim

to Guide_Tim
said by Guide_Tim:

Yes load the merlin firmware reboot and clear NVRAM hold down the WPS button for 15 seconds unplug it then plug it back in and hold down the WPS button for another 15 seconds , that should clear and reset. then you can configure your settings enjoy

Ok good deal.

Guide_Tim
join:2012-02-28
Taft, CA

Guide_Tim to kdwycha

to kdwycha
Yes load the merlin firmware reboot and clear NVRAM hold down the WPS button for 15 seconds unplug it then plug it back in and hold down the WPS button for another 15 seconds , that should clear and reset. then you can configure your settings enjoy

kdwycha
Ruskin, FL

kdwycha to FTBoomer

to FTBoomer
So I purchased a ASUS RT-AC66U Dual-Band Wireless-AC1750 Gigabit Router today and have a few days till it arrives.

Been poking through this thread and people talk about this Merlin firmware a lot.

I would like to try out the Merlin firmware. I have located the site and it seems to be maintained frequently.

So should this be as easy as hooking up the router, firing it up, getting into the default web interface on a wired connection and updating with the Merlin firmware?
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to mhowie

Premium Member

to mhowie
Sure why not....when you do it however it may take one or two reboots for it to figure out what it should be after the configuration change (not sure just that it does).
mhowie
join:2004-12-28
The Colony, TX

mhowie to BHNtechXpert

to BHNtechXpert
So I'm moving in a few weeks to a home that has fiber running to it and, as a result, the opportunity to experience Gigabit service. That's the good news. The bad news, I think, is my recent acquisition of the RT-AC66R may be for naught as my understanding is there is not a traditional modem connected via an ethernet port but rather a router that will be installed in or near a network box located inside of a closet on the first floor of this house. Assuming this to be the case I don't think I would want to substitute my AC66R for their router in that area (inside a closet) due to the poor wireless signal that would probably result.

So, am I correct in my thinking regarding wireless coverage that I should position my wireless router at one of the "hot" ethernet ports (possibly four currently installed in the house) and, disappointingly, reprovision as an access point? If I am thinking about this correctly, would my AC66R be a better choice than my RT-N56U to utilize in this fashion?

Thanks in advance for thoughts regarding how to best take advantage of this fiber product as well as using the hardware I already own- unless it would not add value to the setup.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to StephenRC

Premium Member

to StephenRC
said by StephenRC:

said by RUQRU:

Plus that $4 gives you a replacement if the BHN supplied unit fails or needs an upgrade

For how long I've had the modems last, I'm still ahead in paying the rental fee.

Most are.... if the price changes of course things might be different...but for now...

StephenRC
join:2013-11-02
Satellite Beach, FL

StephenRC to RUQRU

to RUQRU
said by RUQRU:

Plus that $4 gives you a replacement if the BHN supplied unit fails or needs an upgrade

For how long I've had the modems last, I'm still ahead in paying the rental fee.

RUQRU
Mac Addict
Premium Member
join:2005-07-30
Central FL

RUQRU to janderso1

Premium Member

to janderso1
said by janderso1:

At $4 per month saving you are looking at almost 4 years to break even. I am certainly not going to buy a MTA at that price.

Jim, I agree. It does not seem to be worth the trouble. Plus that $4 gives you a replacement if the BHN supplied unit fails or needs an upgrade.

Once the unit is in bridged mode there is really nothing you need to do with it.

janderso1
Jim
MVM
join:2000-04-15
Saint Petersburg, FL

janderso1 to RUQRU

MVM

to RUQRU
At $4 per month saving you are looking at almost 4 years to break even. I am certainly not going to buy a MTA at that price.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to FTBoomer

Premium Member

to FTBoomer
To some degree yes the modem will behave as if its one of ours...remember...it was never intended to be sold to you in the first place. It's designed to be managed by us.
jcarerra
join:2007-06-13
Satellite Beach, FL

jcarerra to FTBoomer

to FTBoomer
So, do I understand this...

if we get a reconditioned MSO (what's that?) modem, it will work just as if provided by Brighthouse Networks EXCEPT customer changes to the config are blocked--otherwise does all normal functions?
Brighthouse Networks must do all config changes?
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to FTBoomer

Premium Member

to FTBoomer
Thats new....not sure where they are getting them from because they don't sell them retail UNLESS they have changed that. The kicker will be to get one and see how it behaves once connected. If its a grey market box it will automatically behave like one of ours...if its legit retail it won't.

RUQRU
Mac Addict
Premium Member
Central FL

RUQRU to BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

to BHNtechXpert
Click for full size
said by BHNtechXpert:

There are no retail MTA's out there so your only choice unfortunately is a "refurbished" of the two I mentioned

Amazon is selling this Arris TG862G DOCSIS 3.0 Residential Gateway with 802.11n, 4 Port Router and 2 Voice Lines as NEW. Are you saying this is not so?

See: »www.amazon.com/Arris-TG8 ··· CSIS+3.0
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to RUQRU

Premium Member

to RUQRU
And no I will not give you the password....
BHNtechXpert

BHNtechXpert to RUQRU

Premium Member

to RUQRU
And it would work IF you were logged in as a technician or someone like me.

RUQRU
Mac Addict
Premium Member
Central FL

RUQRU to BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

to BHNtechXpert
said by BHNtechXpert:

The reason you were able to do it then was because the tech was likely logged into the modem with his login which does have the access.

OK, that makes sense. All I know is I had this link: 192.168.100.1/TlModeChange.asp and it worked.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to RUQRU

Premium Member

to RUQRU
said by RUQRU:

said by BHNtechXpert:

Nope you may have called to have it bridged...

Nope. I am positive I did myself because the tech who installed the DVW3201B was still here when I did it. I recall explaining to him what I was doing.

:) Roqu I know exactly when this changed because it created exponentially more headaches for me The reason you were able to do it then was because the tech was likely logged into the modem with his login which does have the access.

RUQRU
Mac Addict
Premium Member
Central FL

RUQRU to BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

to BHNtechXpert
said by BHNtechXpert:

Nope you may have called to have it bridged...

Nope. I am positive I did myself because the tech who installed the DVW3201B was still here when I did it. I recall explaining to him what I was doing.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to RUQRU

Premium Member

to RUQRU
said by RUQRU:

I switched to BHN VOIP in September 2012 and was able to bridge the DVW3201B at that time. So it was changed sometime after that. Since I really had not attempted to load that page for years I have no way of knowing when it became blocked.

Nope you may have called to have it bridged....it's been in this state longer than I have been doing this officially which is 4 years now...

RUQRU
Mac Addict
Premium Member
Central FL

RUQRU to BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

to BHNtechXpert
I switched to BHN VOIP in September 2012 and was able to bridge the DVW3201B at that time. So it was changed sometime after that. Since I really had not attempted to load that page for years I have no way of knowing when it became blocked.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to FTBoomer

Premium Member

to FTBoomer
You do realize it has been this way for years however right? I mean a very long time.

RUQRU
Mac Addict
Premium Member
Central FL

RUQRU to BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

to BHNtechXpert
I am sure it is an interesting story, LOL. Glad to hear that access may be restored in the future. It is just something that folks who like to work on their gear want...access! In reality I would probably never need to access that menu, but that fact that it is blocked just bothers me. Know where I am coming from?