BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL
kudos:148
reply to telijah

Re: [Internet] Best Routers for Bridged Networks

Nope it was still broadcasting but refused connections of all types.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to FTBoomer

Typically things like Cameras will allow you to assign names from within the device setup itself.

telijah
Premium
join:2013-04-22
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to FTBoomer

Those on Padavan for ASUS models... I could have sworn there was a way to give a friendly name to your detected devices instead of like "android-xx##xx". Was that there before and removed, or am I imagining things?

telijah
Premium
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to BHNtechXpert

What exactly is a "lock up"? Does the band simply disappear, or is it still there but just not working? And what do you have to do to resolve it?

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to FTBoomer

So I have had two instances where 2.4ghz locked up on the 66AC using the current version of Merlins code. Just the 2.4ghz, kinda odd. Anyone else?

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to FTBoomer

Then go with the Asus RT66AC or RTN-56AC

scuder3

join:2014-03-18
Palm Coast, FL
reply to BHNtechXpert

Up to $150. Don't mind spending extra if its worth it, but like the best bang for the buck. Would like to hook a and external HDD and a printer to the router to share on home network if possible. Would like to get the most out of my Lightning connection on the wireless devices I use too.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to FTBoomer

3.X.3.8-080:
----------------------------------------------------------
- Toolchain: migrate to binutils-2.24.
- Fixed rarely crashes of dnsmasq process (DNS relay and DHCP server missing issue).
- Fixed LAN DHCP client logic after lease renew in AP mode.
- Fixed FireFly WebUI unavailable until first scan is completed.
- Added feature to restrict WebUI access from Wireless clients.
- Added optional force sort to minidlna clients, added force rescan button.
- Updated busybox to 1.22.1+.
- Updated pppd to 2.4.6.
- Updated radvd to 1.10.0.
- Updated dropbear SSH to 2013.63.
- Updated miniupnpd to 1.8.20140313.
- Updated usb-modeswitch to 2.1.0, updated usb-modeswitch-data up to 2014-01-29.
- Updated minidlna to 1.1.2+.
- Updated exFAT code to 1.2.8.
- Updated xUPnPd to rev397.
- Updated p910nd to 0.97.
--
~All truth goes through three phases. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as self-evident. - Arthur Schopenhauer ~

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to FTBoomer

Lets check it out....brb...

telijah
Premium
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to FTBoomer

Padavan 3.0.3.8-080 is out for the ASUS routers. Running it on my N56 seemingly without issue now.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to tascon

said by tascon:

said by BHNtechXpert:

said by tascon:

Maybe I missed it, but haven't seen any comments about Apple Airport and/or Time Capsule. They both support ac. I have been exclusively Airport Extreme and Time Capsules for years and have been rock solid for me.

There's a reason....they are grossly overpriced and under featured.

Please allow me to reply indicating that I don't mean to start an argument. That is probably the last thing that I want to do in the internet. But please note that it is difficult to put a tone in the posts and I want to be as respectful as possible.

With that disclaimer out of the way, the Airport Extreme retails for $199 + tax, for an ac router, and you can get it in Amazon for $184.99 shipped as of this writing.

On paper maybe they are under featured, but there is value in simplicity and in beauty of UI (IMO). Also there is value being able to monitor your network through your PC, Mac, iPhone or iPad.

I can't think of a feature that I miss in the Airport Extreme (since I don't consider myself a network tinkerer). But I am able to do IP reservations, change the DNS to Open DNS, and use it bridged with an Arris TG862G that I own. And boy the Airport Time Capsule (Airport Extreme+ hard drive all in one) is reliable. Additionally, I have an older airport that I use in extended mode with the only purpose to provide network access to a printer that doesn't have built- in wireless.

Airport Time Capsules may look overpriced, but only if you go for the 3 TB $399 + tax model. The 2 TB model retails for $299 + tax, which is pretty much the price of the Airport Extreme plus the hard drive. And it is a life saver for some people. Some people never care to do backups and the Airport Time Capsule (or an Airport Extreme with an external hard drive) automates the process. Yes, I recognize that it is not the most reliable or the best backup method, but it can save your "bacon" more frequently than you think.

Please note that I haven't included any information about the $99 Airport Express as I would not consider anything that is not Gigabit Ethernet.

Anyway, I didn't want to write a book here and I apologize if I offended somebody in this post. It was not my intention and only wanted to help.

Take a look at the feature set of any of the routers mentioned in this very long thread (perhaps someone will let you login to theirs so you can see it first hand) and then compare it with the Apple equiv and enough said. Lets not forget the lack of alternative firmware which offers additional features not found in most stock and you might understand where I'm coming from. Now one thing for sure Apple products do love Apple products which has always been an issue for me and most I know but thats another story....
--
~All truth goes through three phases. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as self-evident. - Arthur Schopenhauer ~

tascon

join:2014-03-22
Orlando, FL

2 edits
reply to BHNtechXpert

said by BHNtechXpert:

said by tascon:

Maybe I missed it, but haven't seen any comments about Apple Airport and/or Time Capsule. They both support ac. I have been exclusively Airport Extreme and Time Capsules for years and have been rock solid for me.

Please allow me to reply indicating that I don't mean to start an argument. That is probably the last thing that I want to do in the internet. But please note that it is difficult to put a tone in the posts and I want to be as respectful as possible.

With that disclaimer out of the way, the Airport Extreme retails for $199 + tax, for an ac router, and you can get it in Amazon for $184.99 shipped as of this writing.

On paper maybe they are under featured, but there is value in simplicity and in beauty of UI (IMO). Also there is value being able to monitor your network through your PC, Mac, iPhone or iPad.

I can't think of a feature that I miss in the Airport Extreme (since I don't consider myself a network tinkerer). But I am able to do IP reservations, change the DNS to Open DNS, and use it bridged with an Arris TG862G that I own. And boy the Airport Time Capsule (Airport Extreme+ hard drive all in one) is reliable. Additionally, I have an older airport that I use in extended mode with the only purpose to provide network access to a printer that doesn't have built- in wireless.

Airport Time Capsules may look overpriced, but only if you go for the 3 TB $399 + tax model. The 2 TB model retails for $299 + tax, which is pretty much the price of the Airport Extreme plus the hard drive. And it is a life saver for some people. Some people never care to do backups and the Airport Time Capsule (or an Airport Extreme with an external hard drive) automates the process. Yes, I recognize that it is not the most reliable or the best backup method, but it can save your "bacon" more frequently than you think.

Please note that I haven't included any information about the $99 Airport Express as I would not consider anything that is not Gigabit Ethernet.

Anyway, I didn't want to write a book here and I apologize if I offended somebody in this post. It was not my intention and only wanted to help.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to tascon

said by tascon:

--

tascon

join:2014-03-22
Orlando, FL
reply to FTBoomer

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to FTBoomer

What is your budget?

scuder3

join:2014-03-18
Palm Coast, FL
reply to FTBoomer

I am getting ready to buy a new router for my Lightning. I have read through, but can't determine which ASUS everyone recommends. Which model number is best?

Thanks!

Aprel

join:2013-09-14
kudos:2
reply to scanman1

said by scanman1:

Trust me when I say that non-encrypted emails between the CMTS and your router can be sniffed. There are modems on every network that are in promiscuous mode that are just listening to the traffic.

I thought all traffic between the cable modem and the CMTS was encrypted on DOCSIS 1.1 and above? At least that's what the WP article claims: »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DOCSIS#Security

jwb1977

join:2013-09-07
Orlando, FL
reply to jwb1977

Well, snot, I just gave it a test and my router is doing the dns for the local dhcp clients. Its been a few years ago since I last tested this, so a firmware update somewhere along the way must have added this.

jwb1977

Orlando, FL
reply to BHNtechXpert

said by BHNtechXpert:

DHCP is handled by the router. The Synology handles WINS, DNS and several other services that I use internally. The Synology could handle DHCP but why bother router is already doing it.

If you have any dynamic clients that you wanted to resolve by their name. Most of the DNS services that I've stood up though, all the clients (servers) were static. I created the DNS entries with their IP address and was done with it. I'm assuming your standing up a local domain dns so that you can resolve your local workstations, servers, and other equipment.

Even on my router, I always thought it would be nice if it had a built in DNS server. That way when my boxes sent in a DHCP request, the router could also allow me to look them up by name. Instead, I either have to set them up with a static IP or look up their dynamic IP before accessing them. Even on my Windows desktops, I'll use RDP to login to them from time to time. I'd prefer using the box name, rather than ip, so it would make it much easier. I've never really wanted to take the time to put them on a domain controller when really a simple DNS lookup would be enough.

scanman1

join:2010-11-25

4 edits
reply to Aprel

I personally don't like to use any ISP DNS server directly, as anyone along the path can sniff and/or modify it.

I don't know what BHN's policy is for selling this meta data, but some ISP's do market it. Then there is the NSA that can MITM attack you and direct you to a phantom server as well.

It's not like DNSSEC is going to be implemented by BHN any time soon.

The BHN Email server is not even supporting SSL/TLS encryption.

There is no reason that BHN can't support encryption for email. It's nothing more than some configuration settings on the email server. It don't cost them a thing.

Trust me when I say that non-encrypted emails between the CMTS and your router can be sniffed. There are modems on every network that are in promiscuous mode that are just listening to the traffic.

Since DNSSEC is not supported by BHN, I choose to use the next best thing.

In my Tomato by Shibby firmware, there is a built in option to turn on a service called:
"Use dnscrypt-proxy"

What this does is establish an SSL tunnel between your PC/Router and supported DNS servers and 100% prevents the ISP and any other transport from seeing the DNS requests, much-less modifying them with a mitm attack.

»dnscrypt.org/

This is my suggestion, if your router don't support dnscrypt.

There is a Windows/Mac/Android/Ios version of the software that can run as a client as well.

If you trust OpenDNS as your preferred DNS server, there is a nice GUI version avail with a taskbar icon that is idiot proof as in install and it just works here as source code only:

»www.opendns.com/about/innovations/dnscrypt/

Here is the compiled Windows .exe of it, as OpenDNS could not find a way to make money on it, so they stopped sharing the compiled version, yet you can still get it from a trusted distribution site here:

»www.majorgeeks.com/files/details···ypt.html

And the Osx version is available here:

»opendns.github.io/dnscrypt-osx-client/

Aprel

join:2013-09-14
kudos:2
reply to BHNtechXpert

said by BHNtechXpert:

Anyone else here running their own DNS server at the house who also has the Asus 66AC?

I like geeky things, but I'm curious as to what benefit you get from hosting your own DNS server over BHN default or alternatives like GoogleDNS (besides Google tracking the hell out of you)? Speed? (Though I've hardly ever experienced a noticeable DNS delay).

Actually, I didn't even know this was feasible on a personal network.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to FTBoomer

DHCP is handled by the router. The Synology handles WINS, DNS and several other services that I use internally. The Synology could handle DHCP but why bother router is already doing it.

jwb1977

Orlando, FL
reply to BHNtechXpert

I don't, but curious where's your DHCP server going to run? Assuming you want your DNS tied in with it.

Guide_Tim

join:2012-02-28
Taft, CA
kudos:1
reply to BHNtechXpert

Oh dear lol thats way past my geek skills

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to Guide_Tim

Nope DNS server. My Synology units offer it or you can dedicate a linux box to it.

Guide_Tim

join:2012-02-28
Taft, CA
Reviews:
·Bright House
reply to BHNtechXpert

Gary how do you create your own DNS server? i just use the default BHN DNS servers. Or do you mean the Domain DNS for a website ? like dyndns no-ip thingy ?
--
Taft CA Bright House Customer Since 2003 Lightning 90/10 Motorola SB6141 Asus RT-N66U RT-N56U

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to FTBoomer

Anyone else here running their own DNS server at the house who also has the Asus 66AC?

Beware u

join:2009-12-26
reply to Aprel

yes... it gets very hot....

said by Aprel:

Just happened upon the temperature monitor on the antennas in Merlin on an RT-N66U:

2.4 GHz: 54°C - 5 GHz: 58°C

Kinda hot...my quad-core runs at stock clock 100% on all cores at a lower temp than that...but I read the Asus models run hot. I haven't changed the antenna power from default, but are these temps acceptable?

John97
Over The Hills And Far Away
Premium
join:2000-11-14
Spring Hill, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House
·ooma
reply to Flashfox

said by Flashfox:

Hmm... I disagree. As this is an unofficial Asus thread (LOL) I would like to say that the updated stock F/W for my RT-AC68R is intuitive and pretty complete. Up to now, I see no reason to switch to the custom ROMs

I am on the same page.
--
So put me on a highway, and show me a sign.
And take it to the limit one more time...

Flashfox
Eco-Text -- Why print E-mails?

join:2003-10-01
Melbourne, FL
reply to scanman1

said by scanman1:

The factory firmware was hideous, and I returned the one I bought and didn't wait for it to get patched up.

Hmm... I disagree. As this is an unofficial Asus thread (LOL) I would like to say that the updated stock F/W for my RT-AC68R is intuitive and pretty complete. Up to now, I see no reason to switch to the custom ROMs