BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL
kudos:139
reply to FTBoomer

Re: [Internet] Best Routers for Bridged Networks

Small Netbuilders gives the Nighthawk a very slight edge but I say neck n neck. The thing that scares me about Netgear is the habit to break firmware after a few months...Asus has managed not to do that seriously yet....Netgear its almost expected.

geo44

join:2013-03-20
Saint Petersburg, FL

1 edit
reply to BHNtechXpert

said by BHNtechXpert:

Yes it is an absolute beast and very highly rated. It would appear Netgear got this one right....

Would it be better than the comparable Asus model?

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to FTBoomer

Yes it is an absolute beast and very highly rated. It would appear Netgear got this one right....

SparkyinCFL
Premium
join:2008-12-21
Saint Cloud, FL
kudos:1
reply to Thade

said by Thade:

The new Netgear Nighthawk ...

I just looked up the specs ... result: heavy breathing

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to FTBoomer

Thade

join:2009-12-16
Orlando, FL
reply to FTBoomer

Just upgraded from the old Turbo (20/2) to the new Turbo (30/2) w/ The new Netgear Nighthawk. This thing is amazing. Everything is so much smoother.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to SparkyinCFL

Yea I think the failover works but the load balancing doesn't. I tested it with two of my test modems and it literally brought WAN traffic to a halt and when I disabled it still nothing. I had to change it to failover and then turn it off before I could restore WAN traffic....very odd behavior.

SparkyinCFL
Premium
Saint Cloud, FL
reply to BHNtechXpert

said by BHNtechXpert:

So who has used the dual WAN feature on the Asus 66 AC?

OK, I tested the failback feature and it worked fine, once I got over my impatience and confusion ... If you leave the network map screen up and watch, it does happen within a couple of minutes, switching from primary to secondary and back again to primary. The part that confused me was the primary wan port picks up an IP from the secondary network while on the secondary network which made me think I had messed up a configuration. So I tested it all again this morning with fresh coffee and the ultimate patience of Gary ... viola, it worked.

SparkyinCFL
Premium
Saint Cloud, FL
reply to BHNtechXpert

I didn't go beyond setting the lan1 port as primary (t-mobile) to see if I could run my network off the cell phone as backup and that worked just fine (obviously a bit slower than 60/5). I didn't fool with the auto fallback either. Perhaps later if/when I'm sent to my room.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to SparkyinCFL

I tried to use it for load balancing and it broke the network horribly.

geo44

join:2013-03-20
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to FTBoomer

After having the asus N66R for a while - I have to say Im disappointed with the newer stock firmware. While the hardware seems to be great , Asus seems to lack talent in developing the firmware. Firmware 3.0.0.4.276 works good but lacks
features. Anything newer is garbage on the wireless side of things. Even Merlin's newer versions which is based on Asus firmware seems to have issues.

SparkyinCFL
Premium
Saint Cloud, FL

2 edits
reply to BHNtechXpert

said by BHNtechXpert:

So who has used the dual WAN feature on the Asus 66 AC? I'm about to turn it on lol

I have used it tethered to my t-mobile cell ... no problems ... I used a netgear WN2000rpt to pickup the t-mobile, connected to port 1 on the 66AC

[edit] clarification: using my t-mobile hotspot / pickup wireless signal on wn200rpt / lan port 1 on 66ac
[edit] stock firmware 3.0.0.4.374_979

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to FTBoomer

Um don't do it....results were not fun...just got internet back lol

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to FTBoomer

So who has used the dual WAN feature on the Asus 66 AC? I'm about to turn it on lol

John97
Over The Hills And Far Away
Premium
join:2000-11-14
Spring Hill, FL
reply to BHNtechXpert

Mine is good too, per the backdoor scan.

Milkman

join:2011-03-10
Brooksville, FL
reply to BHNtechXpert

Wonder what that is all about....

I checked mine:

Result of Backdoor Scans
Your router does not provide the port 32764 backdoor.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to FTBoomer

FYI...

»www.neowin.net/news/some-routers···ted-port

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to FTBoomer

The Nighthawk is a highly rated router and the 68 is brand new which means it will likely come with a few "issues".

Thade

join:2009-12-16
Orlando, FL
reply to FTBoomer

Which is better the Asus RT-AC68U or the Netgear Nighthawk? I've had the Asus RT-N56U for 2.5 years now and it's been rock solid since day one. I read some people having issues with the AC68U. Should I just get the Nighthawk instead?

mhowie

join:2004-12-28
The Colony, TX
reply to Guide_Tim

Ditto for me with .72.

John97
Over The Hills And Far Away
Premium
join:2000-11-14
Spring Hill, FL
reply to Guide_Tim

Just pulled the trigger on Lightning 90.

Guide_Tim

join:2012-02-28
Taft, CA
reply to telijah

Yes .72 is flawless no issues here. If they never update past .72 I wouldn't even mind.

telijah
Premium
join:2013-04-22
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to cavalierfh

I'm one of those flash-happy types where as soon as I see a new one, I go ahead and flash it, regardless of the current good stability. I am on .72 and have not had a single problem.

cavalierfh

join:2002-06-18
Orlando, FL
reply to FTBoomer

Heyyyyyy!

So I'm still running a 56U on Padavan's .61... been having one of those blissful "it's working, don't think about it" quarters where I didn't think about the asus because... it kept working!

111d 05h 31m

Is everyone still happy with Padavan's .72? Or have we all gone nu-cu-lar?

Happy new year

telijah
Premium
join:2013-04-22
Saint Petersburg, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House
reply to FTBoomer

Refurbed RT-N66U on New Egg for $90 shipped after using $20 off couppon code on the product page: »www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···33320154

Edit: Oops, it's the N66R...

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to FTBoomer

The reporter who wrote that apparently has no clue as to how current reactors are designed and cooled. They already use that technology lol....and this "passive" cooling they are talking about lol....it doesn't matter if the reactor is so hot that the water turns to steam, pressure builds up in the containment area which causes the passive water flow to cease because of the internal pressure, thus causing the reactor to get even hotter because it isn't getting the water it needs....one these days people will study before putting to pen.

A better solution to the problem if we can work out some medium sized issues is Thorium based reactors. »energyfromthorium.com/ and »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thorium-ba···ar_power

They are also considerably safer....traditional meltdown is nearly impossible (or you would have to work at it very hard). In fact had the reactors in Japan been thorium based we wouldn't have near the mess we have there now nor the meltdowns.
--
~All truth goes through three phases. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as self-evident. - Arthur Schopenhauer ~

billd104

join:2009-01-30
Oldsmar, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House
reply to BHNtechXpert

said by BHNtechXpert:

I think you are correct...the problem is we have allowed special interest groups to influence policy. Miseducation, lies and cost overruns over the years have pretty much ruined any possibility of nuclear energy for at least a while or until the cost of fossil fuels exceeds that of nuclear energy.

Perhaps nukes are not dead...
»www.nytimes.com/2013/12/13/busin···pl-share

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to Beware u

I think you are correct...the problem is we have allowed special interest groups to influence policy. Miseducation, lies and cost overruns over the years have pretty much ruined any possibility of nuclear energy for at least a while or until the cost of fossil fuels exceeds that of nuclear energy.

Beware u

join:2009-12-26
reply to BHNtechXpert

said by BHNtechXpert:

But you have to realize there have not been any nuke plants built in years decades in fact. The anti-nuke folks have seen to that despite their remarkable safety record sans Japan (that was an extreme situation handled very badly).

That is too bad...
France derives close to 75% of its electric energy needs from Nuclear energy without a single accident so far (if I am correct!).

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to Beware u

But you have to realize there have not been any nuke plants built in years decades in fact. The anti-nuke folks have seen to that despite their remarkable safety record sans Japan (that was an extreme situation handled very badly).