BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL
kudos:148
reply to FTBoomer

Re: [Internet] Best Routers for Bridged Networks

Yes actually with the last two versions and I'm not sure if its the firmware or the latest version of IOS 6.01 for my iPad that has pretty much toasted PUSH for exchange. Otherwise it seems to be fine so far.

weaseled386

join:2008-04-13
Port Orange, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House
·AT&T U-Verse

1 edit
reply to FTBoomer
I just swapped out my DLink DGL4500 for an Asus RT-AC66R.

I never used the wireless portion of the DGL4500, because its terrible firmware reared its ugly head. Instead I used an EnGenius EAP-3660. It looks like a smoke detector and has been rock solid for over a year. It is only G, but I've never been limited by G speeds.

So far (18 hours) the Asus RT-AC66R is working great on stock firmware (3.0.0.270). I have a couple devices connected to each band. My two iPhones are on 2.4GHz, and two laptops on 5GHz. I'll test out range a little later today. I live across from a public park, and don't want to look silly walking over with my laptop in tow:)

EDIT: Put a Linksys AE3000 wifi USB adapter on my main computer, and I'm connected on 5Ghz. See how it reacts today vs its normal wired state.

John97
Over The Hills And Far Away
Premium
join:2000-11-14
Spring Hill, FL
kudos:1
reply to FTBoomer
Just ordered an Asus RT-AC66U and Motorola SB6141 from Newegg...

It'll probably be here Wednesday/Thursday.
--
So put me on a highway, and show me a sign.
And take it to the limit one more time...

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
said by John97:

Cool beans....so we have another who can give us feedback....you guys better stop this because all it will do is make me go out and buy one too and I don't need another router right now
--
~All truth goes through three phases. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as self-evident. - Arthur Schopenhauer ~

weaseled386

join:2008-04-13
Port Orange, FL
I have no complaints about it so far. Range, at least on the 2.4GHz band, is equal to my EnGenius AP. Both worked fine from 150' and through 3 brick walls! On 5GHz my main PC has been trucking along without a hiccup.

RUQRU
Premium
join:2005-07-30
Florida
Is the Asus RT-AC66U using stock firmware and does anyone know if Padavan will support this one too?

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to FTBoomer
Yes it would be stock and no Padavan yet

ispalten

join:2005-04-16
Clermont, FL
reply to RUQRU
said by RUQRU:

said by BHNtechXpert:

said by falcon2081:

New firmware out. Will await for test results

==================
RT-N56U_3.0.3.3-042_full.zip 7.6 MB
Description:
- IPv6+IPv4 (dual stack).
- Linux kernel 3.0.61.
- 5GHz WiFi driver v2.6.0.1.
- 2.4GHz WiFi driver v2.5.0.11.
- New WebGUI.
- Full build: included "transmission", "minidlna", "xupnpd".

Alright will update and check now....

All my wireless devices, including iPads and iPhones are running fine with the new firmware.

Have you found any issues with your testing?

I copied some files over to the Media Server share, they copied but never appeared there. Already 'basically' reported to Padavan as issue 709. I looked at the files for the database and they were NOT updated. I've tried deleting them with the USB drive on a computer and plugging it back in, file dates do update, but files transferred are not showing? Just checked on the PC, not there?

Another report said Bonjour is not working, but it is between my iPad and the ASUS.

I'm going back one level to be safe.
--
Irv Spalten

John97
Premium
Spring Hill, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House
·ooma
reply to BHNtechXpert
said by BHNtechXpert:

said by John97:

Cool beans....so we have another who can give us feedback....you guys better stop this because all it will do is make me go out and buy one too and I don't need another router right now

Got my stuff today. Called to get it activated, gave all the info (MAC address, serial number, etc). I was then told that apparently I have to wait for a phone call in 24-48 hours telling me I can unhook the Ubee and hook up my shiny new Asus RT-AC66U and Motorola SB6141?

Really? I didn't think it was this complicated.

--

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to FTBoomer
It can take that long but normally doesn't. If by this time tomorrow night it isn't done you let me know and I'll get it done.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to ispalten
said by ispalten:

I copied some files over to the Media Server share, they copied but never appeared there. Already 'basically' reported to Padavan as issue 709. I looked at the files for the database and they were NOT updated. I've tried deleting them with the USB drive on a computer and plugging it back in, file dates do update, but files transferred are not showing? Just checked on the PC, not there?

Another report said Bonjour is not working, but it is between my iPad and the ASUS.

I'm going back one level to be safe.

Irv I have noticed a couple of off things as well but nothing to warrant going back to previous rev. I don't test the NAS feature because in my opinion its a waste of a good router and besides there are far better NAS solutions.
--
~All truth goes through three phases. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as self-evident. - Arthur Schopenhauer ~

ispalten

Clermont, FL
said by BHNtechXpert:

Irv I have noticed a couple of off things as well but nothing to warrant going back to previous rev. I don't test the NAS feature because in my opinion its a waste of a good router and besides there are far better NAS solutions.

Gary, I have the USB drives sitting around, so I use them. I could leave the Media Server on the PC and run the PC but the Router with the USB is a better solution for us. We move files and mostly video's over to it to be viewed on the iPad's around the house.

The problem was I move generally, not copy, the files, as they are view and lose them DVD rips generally. Those moves appeared to happen, but the files didn't appear.

I tested 3-340 and files moved arrived and were visible and could be played. Like I said, something broke. One report was that Bonjour wasn't working to Apple h/w, but it works fine to my iPad.

It seemed to be that 3-0342 was faster moving files, but I guess I now know why, it wasn't doing something, either writes or database/directory updates.

Also the 5Ghz signal seemed weaker on 3-0342. Didn't give a strong signal in our bedroom, but 3-0340 does...

I'll check the fixes on the next update I guess, or just 'test' with it and see if it is fixed. I don't know how something as major as that could slip through?

I have reported it on their site adding a comment to #709 and also in the Small Builders forum. Problem is I never see any answer on their codebase site.
--
Irv Spalten

John97
Premium
Spring Hill, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House
·ooma
reply to FTBoomer
This Asus RT-AC66U router is bad-ass. That's all I can say.

I got it all set up, I even connected my 2TB external hard drive from my old FIOS DVR setup. I have the FTP configured. That will come in handy from time to time.
--

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to FTBoomer

John97
Premium
Spring Hill, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House
·ooma
said by BHNtechXpert:

:)

You know you want one now...
--

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
said by John97:

said by BHNtechXpert:

:)

You know you want one now...

LOL and you know what..some awesome things happened this week that seriously made it easier for me to justify it and a couple of other things as well so it might just happen next week.
--

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to FTBoomer
TigerDirect (CompUSA) has some incredible deals on Homeplug adapter kits right now. Those considering expanding their wired network this is the time to do it.

Keiro

join:2005-10-25
Bakersfield, CA
reply to FTBoomer
Next month I'm making those purchases!

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to FTBoomer
Click for full size
You guys see me talking about the use of Homeplug adapters to extend your wired network to key parts of your home. Well here's my setup.

The Lanai serves a second wireless router to extend coverage into the far side of the house and both front and back yards as well as Roku and security cameras (all hard wired).

The utility room serves home automation equipment as well as a POE switch that gives wired connectivity to security cameras on that side of the house.

The Living Room serves my Tivo, Logitech Revue, security cameras and web enabled television.

The reason they are used in these locations is extending the network to that side of the house via wired in the attic is just a pain (I hate attics).

Notice these are 200mbps units...simple really...there is NOTHING on any of these modules that justifies 500mbps modules. I don't come close to using the available bandwidth.

So now ya know I use the very same equipment I preach about all the time
--

Keiro

Bakersfield, CA
said by BHNtechXpert:

You guys see me talking about the use of Homeplug adapters to extend your wired network to key parts of your home. Well here's my setup.

The Lanai serves a second wireless router to extend coverage into the far side of the house and both front and back yards as well as Roku and security cameras (all hard wired).

The utility room serves home automation equipment as well as a POE switch that gives wired connectivity to security cameras on that side of the house.

The Living Room serves my Tivo, Logitech Revue, security cameras and web enabled television.

The reason they are used in these locations is extending the network to that side of the house via wired in the attic is just a pain (I hate attics).

Notice these are 200mbps units...simple really...there is NOTHING on any of these modules that justifies 500mbps modules. I don't come close to using the available bandwidth.

So now ya know I use the very same equipment I preach about all the time

Nice! I don't have much of a reason to need my router right now... I've switched back to modem-only setup due to the modem being in my room.

My father that I live with pretty much said, "Look, if you want this internet, fine with me, though I think you should just use our internet but YOU pay for it since we already have AT&T internet. But when they show up to set it up for you, tell them to put the cable wire wherever you feel like it, because I give 0 fucks about cable placement as I plan on pulling everything out in your room and redoing the walls and wiring."

(paraphrasing here on what my father said re: internet setup here last week.)

So... yeah.

I may have to buy these homeplug things and see if I can't use them on the other side of the house when it comes time to move out of the room I'm in...
--
Wanderer of the Stars...

Heimkoma Services and EidolonHost

ispalten

Clermont, FL
reply to FTBoomer
Gary, new Padavan 56U drop...

------------
File:
RT-N56U_3.0.3.3-045_full.zip 7.6 MB
Description:

- IPv6+IPv4 (dual stack).
- Linux kernel 3.0.68.
- 5GHz WiFi driver v2.4.3.6 (include backports and fixes).
- 2.4GHz WiFi driver v2.5.0.11.
- Full build: included "transmission", "minidlna", "xupnpd".
----------------------

Await your OK...
--
Irv Spalten

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to FTBoomer
Okay....kind of expected it this weekend....will get it loaded and let everyone know by tomorrow night.

ispalten

Clermont, FL
Gary, suggestion, maybe 'we' could just have a PADAVAN thread only? We'd post to it when there is something pertaining to the flash, good, bad, or just a new release rather than intermingling it here?
--
Irv Spalten

Keiro

Bakersfield, CA
said by ispalten:

Gary, suggestion, maybe 'we' could just have a PADAVAN thread only? We'd post to it when there is something pertaining to the flash, good, bad, or just a new release rather than intermingling it here?

It's a pretty damned good idea. Sticky it too, while you're at it.
--
Wanderer of the Stars...

Heimkoma Services and EidolonHost

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to ispalten
said by ispalten:

If we did that it would probably get moved to another forum section..best to keep it here and keep this thread going as it is.
--

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to FTBoomer
Here is the complete change list...

Changes to firmware ver. 3.0.3.3-042:
----------------------------------------------------------
- Fixed SoC hangup on 5GHz Wireless interface down during data transfer.
- Fixed WAN-LAN spoofing issue on change WAN bridge mode or VLAN isolation.
- Fixed VLAN filter for partial untagged traffic.
- Fixed broken httpd login state after LAN IP address reconfig.
- Fixed 48 hours bug in Main_TrafficMonitor_last24.asp.
- Updated kernel-3.0.x to 3.0.68 from www.kernel.org.
- Updated openssl to v1.0.1e (vulnerability CVE-2013-0166).
- Updated miniupnpd to v1.8.20130207.
- Updated transmission to v2.77.
- Updated xUPnPd to rev382.
- Updated xl2tpd daemon from upstream.
- Increased max allowed Wireless clients up to 64 for each AP.
- Rolled back 5GHz Wireless driver to v2.4.3.6 (with backports and fixes).
- Added user-defined vid:pid slot to option.ko for support any UMTS and EVDO modems.
- Added GreenAP feature for each AP. GreenAP goto 1T1R+20MHz mode if there is no 11n clients.
- Added workaround for partial fix PPE UDP bug (drop UDP packets w/o checksum).
- Added NTP synchronization period control to WebGUI.
- Added DDNS update period control to WebGUI.
- Added PPPoE idle timeout feature.
- Added Ethernet ports info and Connections tracking info to WebGUI.
- Added force NVRAM clear on ASUS-WRT content detected (many params is incompatible).
- Removed bogus Wireless bandwidth mode 40MHz Only (not used by Ralink/MTK WiFi drivers).
- Removed port trigger dead feature.
--

Guide_Tim

join:2012-02-28
Taft, CA
Reviews:
·Bright House
Gary I'm thinking about buying a ASUS RT-N56U , I know you love this model. Wanting to replace my old Dlink DIR-655 that's used as a second wired Router. Is this where everyone gets the padavan firmware at ?
»code.google.com/p/rt-n56u/
Is the RT-N56U better then a dlink DIR-655 in a hard wired environment ?
--
Taft CA Bright House Customer Since 2003 Lightning 60/5 Motorola SB6141

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to FTBoomer
yes and yes

Guide_Tim

join:2012-02-28
Taft, CA
Reviews:
·Bright House
The main Router is asus rt-n66u with a 192.168.1.1
I'm assuming the asus rt-n56u also has a 192.168.1.1
Will it be easy to change the router IP to something like 192.168.0.1 and a DHCP IP Address Range: of 192.168.0.100-192.168.0.199
to avoid IP conflict ?
--
Taft CA Bright House Customer Since 2003 Lightning 60/5 Motorola SB6141

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to FTBoomer
Once you bridge the modem it won't matter but if you want either can be changed...