BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL
kudos:148
reply to FTBoomer

Re: [Internet] Best Routers for Bridged Networks

And when you did this what happened as best you can describe it...

And you are still on .14 firmware right?

FTBoomer

join:2011-04-22
Tampa, FL

said by BHNtechXpert:

And when you did this what happened as best you can describe it...

And you are still on .14 firmware right?

The system started to update and then froze. The first indication something was wrong was the rotating circle on the left of the blue update bar was missing and the missing icon placeholder was in its place.

I waited about 20 seconds and started clicking and hitting escape. I closed the browser window (Google Chrome Canary build 14) then reopened the ASUS interface. The ASUS control panel would not load. After several tries, I unplugged the router, waited 1 minute and plugged it back in. Went to the same area and my original setting in the above mentioned tab were back to the values before I attempted this change.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL

Thanks I'll try to duplicate situation tonight/tomorrow and get back at ya.

bighorn1

join:2004-06-19
Bakersfield, CA
kudos:1
reply to FTBoomer

Zyxel USG100 here with bunch of N WAPs in repeater mode.

While it may appear expensive, it's very cheap for all the features you get.

If you have more sophisticated home network setup and you depend on high network availability (dual WAN), love high VPN throughput, USG series is the way to go.

Enterprise class features in a SOHO class price range.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL

Zyxel generally speaking has a very good name and has been around a long time. I don't have a ton of experience with their routers but years ago I wouldn't accept anything but their modems (back in the day) because they were tops in their game for what I needed and yea I paid extra for those buggers but they worked every single time without fail.
--
"I can’t give you a surefire formula for success, but I can give you a formula for failure: try to please everybody all the time."
~ Herbert Bayard Swope

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to FTBoomer

said by FTBoomer:

If I remember correctly;

In one case, I was in the ADVANCED>WIRELESS>5GHz>GENERAL tab. I changed:

wireless mode to "n only"
channel bandwith to "40MHz"
channel to "165"

Can't recall the other issue right now

Okay so I just attempted to duplicate your issue with .15 firmware and IE. No lockup. The interface as we have discussed previously needs some work. It's obvious they didn't have the best of programmers working on that part of the device but GUI is what it is and so long as the device works right I could care less about the GUI. I'll try tomorrow with .14 firmware and see how things go.
--
"I can’t give you a surefire formula for success, but I can give you a formula for failure: try to please everybody all the time."
~ Herbert Bayard Swope

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to FTBoomer

Boomer would you like to try .15 of the firmware and see if it goes away? I still have my copy here if you want me to send you a link to it.

FTBoomer

Tampa, FL

No but thanks, it's no big deal. Everything is working great. The way I see it, they pulled .15 for a reason so I'll just wait until the re-release it.

You mentioned the Media Server a few posts back. I commented back to you but didn't see a response. Are you using the media server in any particular way or is their an advantage I don't understand to using the router USB vs the way I'm currently doing things?

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL

The advantage of using the media server feature of the router is that you can attach small footprint and power consumption USB drives to your network available to all (and even people off your network if you want). As you have it setup now in order for others to have access to your network shares your main computer must be on.
--
~ Herbert Bayard Swope

bigdaddy

join:2009-11-18
kudos:2

Is this a Good Router ?

Buffalo Tech AirStation™ High Power N600 Gigabit Dual Band Wireless Router & AP - WZR-HP-AG300H

»www.buffalotech.com/products/wir···-related

Please let me know. I like the fact that it has dd-wrt inside with OpenVPN support.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to FTBoomer

FT Boomer I've discovered an issue that warrants posting. Apparently this router has some issues with certain external hard drives. My two WD elements drives work fine but another external drive I have doesn't work with the media server...it essentially refuses to mount the drive. I know of another person having similar issues with the Seagate Go Flex series of external drives. One of his drives works but the other two either don't work at all or work for a bit and then stop being recognized by the router.

Some very strange stuff and while it'snot the purpose for owning this router it's important for everyone to know about these things in advance. I'll try to get some info from Asus in next day or so.
--
~ Herbert Bayard Swope

FTBoomer

Tampa, FL

Odd, I don't own one of those and the WD I have is way to embedded to remove it from it's current connection.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL

Yup it's an odd one. Hope to get some answers soon. Like I said I don't need or use the feature but I know others that do and figured what the heck I'll play too. We both discovered the weirdness about the same time.
--
~ Herbert Bayard Swope

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to bigdaddy

Re: Is this a Good Router ?

said by bigdaddy:

Buffalo Tech AirStation™ High Power N600 Gigabit Dual Band Wireless Router & AP - WZR-HP-AG300H

»www.buffalotech.com/products/wir···-related

Please let me know. I like the fact that it has dd-wrt inside with OpenVPN support.

Bigdaddy Buffalo is generally a good brand but I'll confess I know very little about this specific box. I tried to dig up some tech specs on it and Buffalo apparently feels that flashy websites are more important than real specs (only a couple listed). I'll try to do some more checkin tonight but if I don't get to it I'm not ignoring you...just not feelin so hot today...may hit the bed early for a change.
--
~ Herbert Bayard Swope

bigdaddy

No Problem, Thank You so much for what you do here in this Forum.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL

Bigdaddy I did some research on that router. The initial reviews are mixed and if the review trend were to continue its present direction I would have to say that customers aren't thrilled with the device. Not to say its bad...it isn't just not what I want to see in that price range ($90+-). That said it is a true VPN endpoint which is good and yes it will run DDWRT however the chipset is not officially supported by DDWRT so some features are not available. This box is also single processor which means that it will be impacted faster at lessor session counts which means if you are a heavy torrent user or have lots of people on your local network it's likely to bog a bit.

That said IF I had my choice today, right now, this instant knowing everything I know I would still spend the extra $30.00 and get the Asus...yes even with the minimal quirks it appears to be a better box, by user reviews, my own personal experience and by specifications. Just my two cents (ok four cents).
--
~ Herbert Bayard Swope

bigdaddy

Thanks my decision on Routers will be based on which VPN service provider I will use for instance HMA use's OpenVPN and work's with routers with dd-WRT inside. Other vpn services is software based. What i have to deiced is what VPN Protocal i want use PPP PPTP L2TP or SSTP and OpenVPN. So if i use a software or dialer based VPN I'll Go with the Asus, if i go hardware I'll Try the Buffalo with openvpn.

solarein

join:2010-12-03
Ossining, NY
kudos:1

You don't need DD-WRT to use OpenVPN. You can install a OpenVPN client on your machines like any other VPN client. DD-WRT includes an OpenVPN server and client, the server is useful for running your own OpenVPN service but since you just need a client, DD-WRT is not essential.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL

Good point!

FTBoomer

Tampa, FL

Is there any benefit to purchasing the OpenDNS VIP? It's only $9.95 a year. I almost feel like purchasing it as way of saying Thank You for operating a great service.

My question though stands at; is there any real benefit to upgrading?

Award-winning parental controls:
5 preset filter configurations including whitelist-only mode that blocks everything but whitelisted domains
50+ filter categories
Proxy and anonymizer blocking to prevent kids from hiding their browsing
Whitelisting (up to 50 domains that are explicitly allowed)
Blacklisting (up to 50 domains that are explicitly blocked)
Customizable block page

Leading anti-fraud and phishing protection:
Phishing protection sourced from Phishtank the worlds largest phishing database run by OpenDNS

Faster, more reliable Internet:
Anycasting service ensures that you are always served by our closest data center
SmartCache™ means that when a website’s authoritative DNS fails, OpenDNS can continue to serve DNS requests for it.
Geo-tagging directs you to the closest server for the website you are visiting
Typo-correction automatically fixes commonly mistyped website names when browsing
The customizable OpenDNS Guide page appears when you try to access a non-existent website and displays relevant search results to help you get where you want to go
Data centers located strategically around the planet to ensure the fastest service wherever you are
Generous DNS usage capacity is more than enough for most households, but businesses and other organizations will want to consider OpenDNS Enterprise

Easy, no bloat service:
Configure on your router and protect all machines in your home including game consoles, WiFi devices and older machines
No heavy software installation to slow down your computers
No updates to remember or to slow you down. We take care of everything for you in our web application
By installing our updater (a very small application) on a laptop, protection will be extended wherever that laptop goes

Command central for parents
Monitor all Internet usage on your network from anywhere there is Internet access with one of our detailed reports
Change settings for your kids from anywhere there is Internet access
Reporting metrics kept for 1 year
One /32 network

Support for help when you need it
Web-based access to our support team
A VIP badge to make you stand out when you visit the community areas of our site

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL

If you need all that then go for it. I use the free version and it does just fine by me. It does exactly what I need it to do from the standpoint of filtering. I set it and forget it. Once in a great while someone here will come to me and say "hey why can't I get to this site...it says its blocked by you". My response is why are you trying to go to gambling, sex or warez site on my network?

I run a clean network...if you want those sites....get them on your network lol
--
~ Herbert Bayard Swope

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to FTBoomer

Boomer things still goin strong with the Asus. Have discovered that it doesn't like some older USB drives however. Especially the GoFlex models. Works fine with WD Elements drives though no problem.
--
~ Herbert Bayard Swope

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to FTBoomer

Boomer how are things goin?

FTBoomer

Tampa, FL

Hey Sorry, missed these. I've been travelling for business a lot lately.

Things are still great. So much so that I've not even thought about it much.

You?

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL

said by FTBoomer:

Hey Sorry, missed these. I've been travelling for business a lot lately.

Things are still great. So much so that I've not even thought about it much.

You?

Same here...the only issue I see is the USB NAS feature. It's not the best method they could have come up with BUT if you use it for media streaming it's flawless. It absolutely hates Seagate Go Flex drives though. The WD's work fine... Go Flex's not so much.
--
~ Herbert Bayard Swope

FTBoomer

Tampa, FL

@ispgeek, I'm making some network changes and need some advice.

My ASUS is on 192.168.1.1 I need to change this to 192.168.2.1.

Can I just go into the LANIP section and change it there?

When I do, should all my gear automatically see the SSID and auto-reconnect regardless of the new base IP?

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL

Question first. Why do you need to change the IP as such?

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to FTBoomer

Hey Boomer I think I also figured out the USB NAS feature issues with the Go Flex (or any drives for that matter). Let me know if you are interested in the details.
--
~ Herbert Bayard Swope

FTBoomer

Tampa, FL
reply to BHNtechXpert

I'd rather not say right now.

Good to hear but I'm not using it so it would be wasted on me. Thanks though

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL

said by FTBoomer:

I'd rather not say right now.

Huh? Boomer forgive me for saying this but there are times when you appear to be well...here's the PC way of saying it....more protective of information than is warranted. I'm one of these kind of guys who likes to know what the hell I'm getting into before I post an opinion so I'll counter with...until I get more information I'm not at liberty to give you a judgement on your original request
--
~ Herbert Bayard Swope