BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL
kudos:148
reply to FTBoomer

Re: [Internet] Best Routers for Bridged Networks

said by FTBoomer:

@ispgeek Open the EzQos > Traffic Monitor > Internet In a separate window, run the BHN network speedtest. Halfway through, jump back over to the router window (make sure Real-Time was selected first).

In the Internet tab, downlink is the greeater value spike but in the LAN or Wired tabs, uplink is the high value,

So, based on this and the bolded sentence above, I'm not sure what to think. I understand what you're saying about the measured speed and mine is 2.3 which is way to low. Just find it odd and am looking for a truer explanation (not from you, from them, ASUS)

Yea its actually uplink speed and good luck getting an answer from Asus considering there isn't even a forum section for their routers which I find to be a bit odd but hey as long as it keeps working like this I don't need their forums.
--
"I can’t give you a surefire formula for success, but I can give you a formula for failure: try to please everybody all the time."
~ Herbert Bayard Swope

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to FTBoomer

Well I found my first real bug again with the GUI. When you access the traffic monitor from the remote (meaning off net) admin console it defaults to wireless 2.4ghz display and won't let you change to anything else like Internet or Lan or Wired. It will display it for a few seconds and then switch right back to wireless traffic monitor. I'll get this written up and sent off. Now this might only be a .15 firmware issue I dunno.
--
"I can’t give you a surefire formula for success, but I can give you a formula for failure: try to please everybody all the time."
~ Herbert Bayard Swope

FTBoomer

join:2011-04-22
Tampa, FL

said by BHNtechXpert:

Well I found my first real bug again with the GUI. When you access the traffic monitor from the remote (meaning off net) admin console it defaults to wireless 2.4ghz display and won't let you change to anything else like Internet or Lan or Wired. It will display it for a few seconds and then switch right back to wireless traffic monitor. I'll get this written up and sent off. Now this might only be a .15 firmware issue I dunno.

Nice catch. I'm not using DDNS but sure seems like a bug to me. It'll be interesting to see if they agree and include it in the next release.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL

Can you do me a favor and test to see if the same issue exists in .14 firmware. You will need to enable remote admin console on 8080 and then connect via your cpe ip:8080 (not local net address) and see if you have the same problem. I forgot to check with Chrome and FF but will do that tonight.
--
~ Herbert Bayard Swope

FTBoomer

Tampa, FL

said by BHNtechXpert:

Can you do me a favor and test to see if the same issue exists in .14 firmware. You will need to enable remote admin console on 8080 and then connect via your cpe ip:8080 (not local net address) and see if you have the same problem. I forgot to check with Chrome and FF but will do that tonight.

Sorry but I wont be able to help out with this.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL

said by FTBoomer:

said by BHNtechXpert:

What happened?
--
~ Herbert Bayard Swope

FTBoomer

Tampa, FL

said by BHNtechXpert:

said by FTBoomer:

said by BHNtechXpert:

What happened?

Nothing personal but that's just not something I want to mess with.

mix

join:2002-03-19
Utica, MI
reply to FTBoomer

Ok, by popular demand. This is a N router with a 400 Mhz processor and it costs $25. It runs dd-wrt of course.

TP-LINK TL-WR740N

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL

said by mix:

Ok, by popular demand. This is a N router with a 400 Mhz processor and it costs $25. It runs dd-wrt of course.

TP-LINK TL-WR740N

Um Mix that's like comin to a firefight with a water pistol. First of all that router is not fully N compliant, is only 100mb max and hardly touches on the features on the the Asus.
--
~ Herbert Bayard Swope

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to FTBoomer

said by FTBoomer:

Not quite sure why but no worries. It actually appears to be a browser issue more than anything. Again just a minor thing. FTBoomer don't be afraid of your router You can freely test things and then turn features off that scare ya. The reality is that feature is pretty harmless unless you leave it unpassword protected and on for extended periods of time.
--
~ Herbert Bayard Swope

mix

Utica, MI
reply to FTBoomer

I stand by my claim. It will route data over 50 Mbps.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL

said by mix:

I stand by my claim. It will route data over 50 Mbps.

LOL! Well I'm assuming this is the router you have Mix. Next time you post a complaint about buffering or other issues I'll be sure to take this into consideration.
--
~ Herbert Bayard Swope

mix

Utica, MI

This is not the router I have.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL

said by mix:

This is not the router I have.

Then how do you know it's an effective piece of equipment as it applies to this thread mix? If this is the case then it appears you are just posting for the purpose of argument which is contrary to the purpose of the thread. I would hope that you would be considerate enough to respect that and to appreciate the purpose of the thread is to discuss effective devices based on personal or professional experience....not hypothetical situations.
--
~ Herbert Bayard Swope

mix

Utica, MI

You guys are apparently recommending a buggy $130 router with a Ralink chipset that is nothing more than a niche product.

I've provided an example of something that is 1/5 the price that has proven firmware and proven performance, whether I own this particular model or not. There are over 30 router models in existence from various manufacturers that use this same chipset and it is supported by every major 3rd party firmware. Thousands if not hundreds of thousands of people use this particular type of router. The 3rd party firmwares available for this platform have many more users/testers and are consequently more mature than a single proprietary firmware for a particular Asus model router. There is nothing hypothetical about my argument. Speed and/or potential does not equal "best" in my book. Tried and true and cheap do. This is only my opinion.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL

2 edits

said by mix:

You guys are apparently recommending a buggy $130 router with a Ralink chipset that is nothing more than a niche product.

I've provided an example of something that is 1/5 the price that has proven firmware and proven performance, whether I own this particular model or not. There are over 30 router models in existence from various manufacturers that use this same chipset and it is supported by every major 3rd party firmware. Thousands if not hundreds of thousands of people use this particular type of router. The 3rd party firmwares available for this platform have many more users/testers and are consequently more mature than a single proprietary firmware for a particular Asus model router. There is nothing hypothetical about my argument. Speed and/or potential does not equal "best" in my book. Tried and true and cheap do. This is only my opinion.

And your opinion is based on a product you've never even owned Mix and worse a substandard non standards compliant product at that BY THE MFR"S OWN STATEMENT.

*The device leverages some 802.11n features to provide improved performance and coverage compared to 802.11a/g devices, and fully interoperate with 802.11n products, but it does not conform to all of the requirements in the IEEE specification and are not classified as "n" in the Wi-Fi CERTIFIED program.
»www.tp-link.com/products/product···2DWR740N

And we can't overlook this pesky problem now can we...

TP-LINK TL-WR740N Router HTML Injection and Denial of Service Vulnerabilities
»www.securityfocus.com/bid/46738/info

The particular router we are toying with here is far from a niche product and by the customer ratings I've seen on this product at virtually all the big retailers (the highest I've ever seen for a consumer router btw) we aren't the only ones happy with this device. I know 5 people now with this router and we're all extremely happy with it. The only "bugs" as you call them are minor from my perspective (and I'm damed picky about such things) and certainly nothing close to the bugs I've experienced with Netgear and Dlink recently.

The difference here Mix is our experiences as we are relating them are based on OUR real life hands on experience with the device. We're posting the problems we see openly for all to know again based on our hands on experience with the device for the purpose of helping people make their own best judgement call as to whether it's worth purchasing or not. Others are welcome to share their experiences with their devices as well.

You on the other hand are posting and arguing for the purposes of arguing and it's waste of space and our time. If you have a personal experience to share and discuss with a specific device you have owned, do own or had significant experience with then by all means feel free but otherwise don't post to just argue with people...it's a real solid way to get people to ignore you.
--
~ Herbert Bayard Swope

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to FTBoomer

said by FTBoomer:

Speaking of messing with things how much messing have you done so far with the media share features if any?
--
~ Herbert Bayard Swope

FTBoomer

Tampa, FL

@ispgeek Not really sure what you mean by media share? I have an Apple TV2 that I stream to but I gon't think that's what your talking about.

I have a VERY LARGE (20,000+ songs) music library on a dedicated 1TB drive that I share but it is plugged into my main hard wired PC. Don't see any reason to move that over to the router since my shares are all set up already.

As for the other issue, sorry to come off a bit weird about testing that issue for you. I'm extremely technical in some areas but not so much in others. Also, I have already run into issues of having to unplug and do a hard reboot of my router after a change didn't take properly. Everything came back up ok but it was still scary.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL

Okay this is important. What changes were you making and what happened? Some changes take several seconds to take and reset your router and others are fairly quick....tell me what you are seeing, how etc so I can attempt to duplicate them here.
--
~ Herbert Bayard Swope

FTBoomer

Tampa, FL

If I remember correctly;

In one case, I was in the ADVANCED>WIRELESS>5GHz>GENERAL tab. I changed:

wireless mode to "n only"
channel bandwith to "40MHz"
channel to "165"

Can't recall the other issue right now

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL

And when you did this what happened as best you can describe it...

And you are still on .14 firmware right?

FTBoomer

Tampa, FL

said by BHNtechXpert:

And when you did this what happened as best you can describe it...

And you are still on .14 firmware right?

The system started to update and then froze. The first indication something was wrong was the rotating circle on the left of the blue update bar was missing and the missing icon placeholder was in its place.

I waited about 20 seconds and started clicking and hitting escape. I closed the browser window (Google Chrome Canary build 14) then reopened the ASUS interface. The ASUS control panel would not load. After several tries, I unplugged the router, waited 1 minute and plugged it back in. Went to the same area and my original setting in the above mentioned tab were back to the values before I attempted this change.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL

Thanks I'll try to duplicate situation tonight/tomorrow and get back at ya.

bighorn1

join:2004-06-19
Bakersfield, CA
kudos:1
reply to FTBoomer

Zyxel USG100 here with bunch of N WAPs in repeater mode.

While it may appear expensive, it's very cheap for all the features you get.

If you have more sophisticated home network setup and you depend on high network availability (dual WAN), love high VPN throughput, USG series is the way to go.

Enterprise class features in a SOHO class price range.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL

Zyxel generally speaking has a very good name and has been around a long time. I don't have a ton of experience with their routers but years ago I wouldn't accept anything but their modems (back in the day) because they were tops in their game for what I needed and yea I paid extra for those buggers but they worked every single time without fail.
--
~ Herbert Bayard Swope

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to FTBoomer

said by FTBoomer:

If I remember correctly;

In one case, I was in the ADVANCED>WIRELESS>5GHz>GENERAL tab. I changed:

wireless mode to "n only"
channel bandwith to "40MHz"
channel to "165"

Can't recall the other issue right now

Okay so I just attempted to duplicate your issue with .15 firmware and IE. No lockup. The interface as we have discussed previously needs some work. It's obvious they didn't have the best of programmers working on that part of the device but GUI is what it is and so long as the device works right I could care less about the GUI. I'll try tomorrow with .14 firmware and see how things go.
--
~ Herbert Bayard Swope

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to FTBoomer

Boomer would you like to try .15 of the firmware and see if it goes away? I still have my copy here if you want me to send you a link to it.

FTBoomer

Tampa, FL

No but thanks, it's no big deal. Everything is working great. The way I see it, they pulled .15 for a reason so I'll just wait until the re-release it.

You mentioned the Media Server a few posts back. I commented back to you but didn't see a response. Are you using the media server in any particular way or is their an advantage I don't understand to using the router USB vs the way I'm currently doing things?

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL

The advantage of using the media server feature of the router is that you can attach small footprint and power consumption USB drives to your network available to all (and even people off your network if you want). As you have it setup now in order for others to have access to your network shares your main computer must be on.
--
~ Herbert Bayard Swope

bigdaddy

join:2009-11-18
kudos:2

Is this a Good Router ?

Buffalo Tech AirStation™ High Power N600 Gigabit Dual Band Wireless Router & AP - WZR-HP-AG300H

»www.buffalotech.com/products/wir···-related

Please let me know. I like the fact that it has dd-wrt inside with OpenVPN support.