Search similar:

uniqs

geo44
join:2013-03-20
Saint Petersburg, FL

geo44 to BHNtechXpert

to BHNtechXpert

Re: [Internet] Best Routers for Bridged Networks

Well asus routers still hard code a domain thats now owned by malware hackers. Asus failed to maintain ownership of that domain name. And according to merlin is used by AIcloud.
that doesnt bother you?

Im not sure of the implications, but it seems bad to me.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to geo44

Premium Member

to geo44
said by geo44:

Check out this goof-up with asus
read posts #15, #16 and #17
»www.snbforums.com/thread ··· g.33132/

Not sure I follow you....was there something specific that concerned you or?

geo44
join:2013-03-20
Saint Petersburg, FL

1 recommendation

geo44 to BHNtechXpert

to BHNtechXpert
Check out this goof-up with asus
read posts #15, #16 and #17
»www.snbforums.com/thread ··· g.33132/
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to ganjero

Premium Member

to ganjero
said by ganjero:

OK, thanks. What is the process to get the modem bridged? I have a router arriving tomorrow. Is there anything that I need to be aware of? Can I return the AP to the local offices?
Thank you

Please get with me here Bright House Networks Direct : »/fo ··· sedirect
ganjero
join:2014-12-28
Clearwater, FL

ganjero to BHNtechXpert

to BHNtechXpert
OK, thanks. What is the process to get the modem bridged? I have a router arriving tomorrow. Is there anything that I need to be aware of? Can I return the AP to the local offices?
Thank you
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to ganjero

Premium Member

to ganjero
said by ganjero:

Would the Moca still work on bridged network?

MoCA on our modems? No....once you bridge the modem the router portion is disabled.
ganjero
join:2014-12-28
Clearwater, FL

ganjero to FTBoomer

to FTBoomer
Would the Moca still work on bridged network?
jcarerra
join:2007-06-13
Satellite Beach, FL

jcarerra to BHNtechXpert

to BHNtechXpert
Gary, did you ever buy the upside down spider thingy?

As_us
@bhn.net

As_us to BHNtechXpert

Anon

to BHNtechXpert
said by BHNtechXpert:

This is the latest apparently I was down two. I upgraded last night and so far no issues.

Have you tried

Latest Release
version: 380.59
Date: 10-May-2016

Also have you noticed the RT-68R getting hot with Merlin as apposed to Asus OEM firmware?

John97
Over The Hills And Far Away
Premium Member
join:2000-11-14
Spring Hill, FL

John97 to FloridaMan79

Premium Member

to FloridaMan79
Sweet deal. You've got your answer, though. Just get BHN to bridge it and you're good to go.
jcarerra
Satellite Beach, FL

jcarerra to FloridaMan79

to FloridaMan79

Best Routers for Bridged Networks

said by FloridaMan79:

hey scored an RT-AC68R for 25 bucks at walmart and just started a new thread about setting it up with an arris TG1682. I'm planning on using the merlin fw but I just need to figure out how to make it work with tg1682 modem/router.

You make me sick! Where!!!??? I've been to every Walmart anywhere close at all. NOTHING! and store people are clueless.

That my friend is an absolutely fantastic buy.

And as far as working with existing modem router, when you set up, you will need to get Brighthouse Networks to bridge the router (electronically turn it into a modem only). Direct forum is on holiday hours right now--not as responsive .
FloridaMan79
join:2014-08-04

FloridaMan79 to FTBoomer

to FTBoomer

Re: [Internet] Best Routers for Bridged Networks

hey scored an RT-AC68R for 25 bucks at walmart and just started a new thread about setting it up with an arris TG1682. I'm planning on using the merlin fw but I just need to figure out how to make it work with tg1682 modem/router.

John97
Premium Member
Spring Hill, FL

John97 to jcarerra

Premium Member

to jcarerra
He already has an RT-AC68R. And it's not really that bad. I'm actually doing another one for a friend.

As_us
@bhn.net

As_us to jcarerra

Anon

to jcarerra
said by jcarerra:

If you have the choice, go for the straight AC68R or U, and avoid having to do some very serious flashing on the tmo AC1900 and lots of web reading time to know how to do it.

THX for the advise guys
jcarerra
Satellite Beach, FL

jcarerra to As_us

to As_us
If you have the choice, go for the straight AC68R or U, and avoid having to do some very serious flashing on the tmo AC1900 and lots of web reading time to know how to do it.

John97
Premium Member
Spring Hill, FL

John97 to As_us

Premium Member

to As_us
The 68R is no different than the 68U.

The T-Mobile unit is an RT-AC68U with custom T-Mobile firmware. Mine now has standard Asus firmware so for all intents and purposes it's an RT-AC68U.

As_us
@bhn.net

As_us to John97

Anon

to John97
said by John97:

said by As_us :

said by John97:

Well, it's AC1900 vs AC1300 and has USB 3.0 support. I believe it also has a faster CPU.

Did it really take 30minutes to flash new firmware on it?

You need to go back and read what this discussion was about...

Sorry, I missed that.

I purchased the Asus RT-AC68R from Walmart.

Is this basically the same as the T-mobile model?

Or is the T-mobile model better?

John97
Premium Member
Spring Hill, FL

John97 to As_us

Premium Member

to As_us
said by As_us :

said by John97:

Well, it's AC1900 vs AC1300 and has USB 3.0 support. I believe it also has a faster CPU.

You need to go back and read what this discussion was about...

EtaoinShrdlu0
join:2015-01-14

EtaoinShrdlu0 to FTBoomer

to FTBoomer

I just got an email from Newegg about the TP-LINK Talon AD7200 Multi-Band Wi-Fi MU-MIMO Gigabit Router, which is 802.11AD, up to 7200 Mbps. It has eight legs/antennas. If you have a spare $350 laying around ...

»www.newegg.com/Product/P ··· 33704301

As_us
@bhn.net

As_us to John97

Anon

to John97
said by John97:

John97
Premium Member
Spring Hill, FL

John97 to as_us

Premium Member

to as_us

as_us
@bhn.net

as_us to John97

Anon

to John97
said by John97:

In case you didn't see the other thread in the Networking forum, I have mine done. It was pretty painless. I used this video as a guide:

swapped out my RT-AC66U and it will now be a spare. I am up and running on the RT-AC68U which was formerly a T-Mobile TM-AC1900.

Is this Tmo branded RT-AC68U you are updating much better than the Asus RT-AC66U ?

John97
Premium Member
Spring Hill, FL

John97 to jcarerra

Premium Member

to jcarerra
Glad you are in business.
jcarerra
Satellite Beach, FL

jcarerra to John97

to John97
And the conversion is complete.
Whew.
Other than the CFE size diff that threw me, it would not have been as intense as it was had the video somehow provided clear way to see (or read in remarks) what the command lines needed to be in the CLI interfaces. I really struggled with that, and it added lots of time to it.

Also, for completeness for others, this video approach using tftp to flash the T-mobile downgrade and whatever final firmware you use is better. I did see two threads today that said many people find the ASUS Firmware Restoration tool fails for them--as it did for me.

John97
Premium Member
Spring Hill, FL

John97 to jcarerra

Premium Member

to jcarerra
That's exactly what mine are. The original_cfe is the T-Mobile version and the new_cfe is the Asus version. They are just different files.
jcarerra
Satellite Beach, FL

jcarerra to John97

to John97
I am having a terrible time trying to see the strings he is putting into cmd windows.

BUT big need
can you pls tell me the sizes of your original_cfe and new_cfe.
Mine came out VERY different
orig 512K, new 227K

Not flashing until I understand this.

John97
Premium Member
Spring Hill, FL

John97 to jcarerra

Premium Member

to jcarerra
Holding WPS clears the NVRAM. It's the WPS button in the video, he's using his thumb to hit the WPS on the side of the router. His index finger is near the reset button but you really can't hit/hold the reset button without using something besides finger.

The point is to clear the NVRAM so there are no remnants of the old CFE floating around.

As far as the command windows when he is doing TFTP - if you look at the top of the actual command window after he types in the command, it shows in the white bar.

It's tough when he's using Putty, however. I kept pausing/rewatching certain segments to make sure I got it right.
the65gto
join:2000-08-31
Apopka, FL

the65gto to John97

to John97
Tx. Your points are in the cloud!
jcarerra
Satellite Beach, FL

2 edits

jcarerra to John97

to John97
Wow--John, I think there is a serious error in the video right at the end of Step 2 after flashing the new CFE. He says "press the WPS button" at least two times, but the image sure looks to me like he is pressing the reset button. Can you clarify which one should be pressed....WPS or reset? (Which one did you do?)

Or am I just not seeing finger placement in the video correctly---it sure LOOKS LIKE he is pressing the reset button on the back/bottom.

And what is he doing at that point? A reset? Entering recovery mode? Erasing NVRAM????

Side point--I really am having a very hard time seeing what he is typig in the cmd Windows. Sometime you can figure it out from what he is saying, other times, quite hard...and I don't want to get ANY of these wrong!

John97
Premium Member
Spring Hill, FL

John97 to the65gto

Premium Member

to the65gto
said by the65gto:

You will get extra "points" if you detail how you did it and observations along the way!

In case you didn't see the other thread in the Networking forum, I have mine done. It was pretty painless. I used this video as a guide:

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· iMfTYIzI

I swapped out my RT-AC66U and it will now be a spare. I am up and running on the RT-AC68U which was formerly a T-Mobile TM-AC1900.