Premium Member
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL

1 edit

BHNtechXpert to FTBoomer

Premium Member

to FTBoomer

Re: [Internet] Best Routers for Bridged Networks

No I am just talking about the region codes...not gonna help you with the wireless part

That is between you and Dell.
ispalten
join:2005-04-16
Clermont, FL

1 edit

ispalten

BHNTV in the bedroom was not really working well last night. Many drops, stalls, and repeats. It worked fine yesterday around noon when I tested it there after putting on .006 Padavan.

Even tried both bands on the iPad to connect, performance was about the same. Both the 2.4 and 5Ghz signal were about the same during the day and night. It was because of this poor BHNTV performance I went back to the official ASUS 8i. Then BHNTV worked fine.

I just don't understand why it would work during the day OK and not at night?
ispalten

ispalten

Last night until 10PM (almost on the dot) BHNTV was working fine on all channels in the bedroom. Then (I was watching the history channel) it started to act up. I tried both bands, the same.

Restarts would mean TCP/IP asked for data packets again I would think, but a feed like this, TV, that would have to come from the server, no? I wouldn't think the server could do that? I'm not talking 1 second delay either, but almost a minute. Sometimes it restarted and then jumped ahead to what I assume was the live feed?

This morning, the wired connection couldn't be made to the router. I had to disable and enable the connectiod a few times before it connected... Wireless machine connected immediately this morning? Very odd?

I'm on Padavan .006.
ispalten

ispalten

Again last night, watching the Discovery Channel on BHNTV. At 10:02PM it started to go bad. First think I did was open the Network settings and the only SSID's the iPad saw was my 2 SSID's (2.4 and 5GHZ). Closed the app and tried again. No difference. At one point it worked fine for 5 minutes or so. At 11AM I couldn't switch channels and none would work, got a black screen that said unable to provide the channel. I decided to move to the 5Ghz SSID. I checked other apps, ESPN, USA TODAY, etc., and all were working. Now BHNTV wouldn't even authenticate? OK, back to 2.4Ghz, same thing? I opened Safari and logged onto the router. It was responsive and I didn't see anything wrong? I decided to re-boot the router (from the wireless iPad connection). It did, had to close Safari and re-open it and I got to the router. Went to BHNTV and I had to sign-in. Worked FINE!!!

I"m on Padavan .006, but what is so magical about 10PM and BHNTV?
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to FTBoomer

Premium Member

to FTBoomer
Please revert your firmware and router settings to your last known working condition. Yes that means go back to whatever you were running prior to all this and if at all possible change all router settings as well. Better....yet default the router back to factory, rebuild your port forwarding settings only and then save that config somewhere safe.

Do NOT change any other settings but your port forwarding, SSID and WPA2 key. Everything else stays stock...
ispalten
Clermont, FL

ispalten

Doing that. Last known working was the .006 Padavan. I just reset it to DEFAULT and changed the few items I needed too. The Network share for the USB drive, the FTP for it, and the 2.4Ghz settings. Nothing else. and I've disabled the 5Ghz SSID and we'll see tonight. Fails, I'm going back to DEFAULT, put the Router into RESCUE mode, put in 8I, test, fails, put on .006. I will NOT enable the 5Ghz SSID in any setup. I have never used Port Forwarding. Only other change I had was to use the Google DNS's.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to FTBoomer

Premium Member

to FTBoomer
Irv you don't need to put router into rescue mode. Just flash back to Asus native firmware over the top and do a hard reset (meaning to defaults). Please dont change anything other than what you need to connect everything. Need it as clean as possible.
ispalten
Clermont, FL

ispalten

Status from last night.

During the day since I already had Padavan .006 installed, I decided I'd just disable the 5Ghz SSID. I went to the 5Ghz setting and on the first tab just hid the radio, then on the PROFESSIONAL tab I disable the radio (both times I did an apply).

Was watching the Dophin's football game from about 8:40 on. 10PM came and it was still working fine. 10:30 the screen went black... oh oh, tried another game, the Giant's game... it was OK? Went back to the Dolphin's game, it said THEY were having Technical Difficulties, phew... worked fine for the rest of the night once they came back on, and watched another channel to mid-night.

So, the 5Ghz channel seems to be the problem, even if the iPad is connected to that channel like last night (I was on the 2.4Ghz this night).

What I don't understand is WHY the BHNTV app is the ONLY one that has a problem? All other apps work fine withthe 5Ghz band on?

Would sort of point the finger at the BHNTV app, no?

Don't forget, I was the one complaining about this same problem before the last update. Then when the update came out it cleared the problem. The problem returned once I enabled the 5Ghz band. That suggests to me some possible error handling might not be correct in the app?

I guess you have no way to get to the developers and no additional error debugging can be done. So I'm left with 2 choices, use the app or the 5Ghz channel, not both.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to FTBoomer

Premium Member

to FTBoomer
Version 1.1.2.3-009 was released overnight. I will start testing immediately and get back with you all.

ATTENTION: If your current firmware version is 1.1.2.2-006 or lower, it is absolutely necessary to save your settings to a .CFG file using WebGUI BEFORE upgrading to a newer version. After the upgrade, restore your settings from the saved .CFG file in a usual way.
BHNtechXpert

BHNtechXpert to FTBoomer

Premium Member

to FTBoomer
ATTENTION:
If your current firmware version is 1.1.2.2-006 or lower, it is absolutely necessary to save your
settings to a .CFG file using WebGUI BEFORE upgrading to a newer version. After the upgrade, restore your
settings from the saved .CFG file in a usual way.

Changes to firmware ver. 1.1.2.2-006:

- Increased available NVRAM space from 32 to 60 kb. To avoid losing of user settings it is necessary
to save them before the upgrade and restore them from the saved .CFG file after.
- Increased table data's input limit up to 64 items.
- Disabled NAPI (RX-polling) of wired network kernel driver (raeth) in 2xRGMII mode.
- Added UVC kernel modules (webcam support).
- Added discrimination between work-days and weekends in Wi-Fi AP and guest AP scheduler.
- Added ability to enter description of each Wi-Fi MAC address in Wireless MAC filter.
- Extended Firewall's MAC Address Filter function to a full-fledged Parental Control function. Each
MAC Address Filter entry may now be associated with particular time and day of the week.
- Updated tunnelbroker.net DDNS service link in "inadyn".
- Added 3 retry count limit for DDNS refresh (inadyn).
- AsusDDNS client was moved to "inadyn". Deprecated "ez-ipupdate" package was removed.
- Corrected some design shortcomings on DDNS web page when using AsusDDNS.
- Added ability to disable STP protocol in LAN bridge when the device is in "Router" mode.
- Added DNS3 field in DHCP server settings.
- Disabled forcing of router's LAN IP as DHCP's DNS if at least one DHCP's DNS address is entered manually.
- Added drop-down listing of clients with auto-substitution in MAC and IP addresses fields on the majority
of the web pages (NewGUI).
- Increased the limit of "Maximum simultaneously connected users" setting up to 50 (SMB/FTP).
- Added ability to hide partitions on a storage for FTP protocol. Create a file named .hidden in the root
directory of the partition to hide it.
- Corrected logic of table data entries removal. Now those entries will be properly removed from NVRAM.
- Fixed UNIX password (telnet/ssh access) issue for login or password that contain characters "$".
- Added an ability to control the LEDs on the front panel of the router.
- WPS button settings, Ethernet LED and Front LED settings were moved to a separate page named "Tweaks".
- Altered the default order of some pages in WebGUI.
- Added separate page "Advanced_Netfilter_Content.asp". Removed "NAT Passthrough" page.
- Added "show/hide password" buttons (NewGUI).
- Added icons for Storage/Printer/Modem (NewGUI). Thanks to the ixbt-forum user "AK47".
- Added button "Clear" to syslog floating panel.
- Ability to change LAN parameters without reboot.
- Updated Russian localized strings.
- Fixed issues in Transmission WebGUI (2.61+).
- Fixed "Wi-Fi scheduler time-zone changes won't take effect without reboot" issue.
- Updated dnsmasq to ver. 2.63.
ispalten
Clermont, FL

ispalten

Page says it is 1.1.2.2-010, but it d/l's as 1.1.2.2-009.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by ispalten:

Page says it is 1.1.2.2-010, but it d/l's as 1.1.2.2-009.

Incorrect...it was 9 then they just update to 10 for some reason haven't checked yet and the file is showing 10. I just downloaded it.
BHNtechXpert

BHNtechXpert to FTBoomer

Premium Member

to FTBoomer
Changes to firmware ver. 1.1.2.3-009:

- Fixed bug in javascript on Web pages Wireless - Wireless MAC Filter.
- Fixed bug in NTFS driver (missing kernel library TEXTSEARCH in kernel config). Regression in
ver. 1.1.2.3-009
ispalten
Clermont, FL

ispalten to BHNtechXpert

to BHNtechXpert
I must have hit it right in the middle of a change? Only way I saw to get it was off the front page, it wasn't on the downloads page. The first page now brings down 1.1.2.2.010.

Is there a place to ask what some 'settings' are since there is no help? For instance, on the WAN page is "Hardware NAT (IPoE/PPPoE):". It defaults to "Enable Offload LAN", but there is also "Enable Offload LAN/WI-FI". Curious if this should be selected if one has wireless as well?
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by ispalten:

I must have hit it right in the middle of a change? Only way I saw to get it was off the front page, it wasn't on the downloads page. The first page now brings down 1.1.2.2.010.

Is there a place to ask what some 'settings' are since there is no help? For instance, on the WAN page is "Hardware NAT (IPoE/PPPoE):". It defaults to "Enable Offload LAN", but there is also "Enable Offload LAN/WI-FI". Curious if this should be selected if one has wireless as well?

Can you do me a huge favor? Leave all that alone until you have a stable working environment and are comfortable with it....
ispalten
Clermont, FL

ispalten

I just took the file down, nothing else.

I had seen that particular setting when I was reviewing all settings on the .006 flash. There is no help for most of the items and was wondering about it?

There is a Russian discussion for the flash, but no English one?
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to FTBoomer

Premium Member

to FTBoomer
The changelog is noted above...in english.
ispalten
Clermont, FL

ispalten

Click for full size
I know that.

What I 'want' is a description of some of the settings. On the ASUS one you'd either get help with a ? on the upper right or hovering over the item, not so on Padavan.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to FTBoomer

Premium Member

to FTBoomer
Irv the firmware is free...the project is free consider making a request on their site. Telling me isn't going to get it fixed as I am not part of the project.
ispalten
Clermont, FL

ispalten

I know you can't do it. I was asking 'where' to ask basically. It isn't a defect? Wiki doesn't seem like it? A Russian forum I can't understand?

Since I have some wi-fi clients running (iPad's, TV, etc.) I might try it. I can't locate much of anything on this on the web.
ispalten

ispalten to BHNtechXpert

to BHNtechXpert
Any STATUS on this yet, .0010?

Last night I was transferring files between 2 wireless computers (40GB's of data at around 16Mbps) and during that time the iPad was 'useless' for almost anything that required internet access. .006 it appears could use a QOS capability.

I assume you've been too busy to make a call on .0010?
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to FTBoomer

Premium Member

to FTBoomer
.10 is working fine for me. Irv I suggest if you are having issues with specific versions of firmware that you report them there.

RUQRU
Mac Addict
Premium Member
join:2005-07-30
Central FL

RUQRU

Premium Member

Does anyone know if the latest official ASUS firmware: ASUS RT-N56U Firmware version 1.0.1.8j is OK?
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to FTBoomer

Premium Member

to FTBoomer
It's fine...Padavan is better but the stock is fine.

RUQRU
Mac Addict
Premium Member
Central FL

RUQRU

Premium Member

This site has some screenshots and info on the Padavan firmware:
»klseet.com/index.php/asu ··· 1018d-p3
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to FTBoomer

Premium Member

to FTBoomer
Nope thats the old GUI version. All new now

RUQRU
Mac Addict
Premium Member
Central FL

1 edit

RUQRU

Premium Member

I uploaded the latest Padavan. Where do I configure IPSEC passthrough? It is not in the same place as the OEM BIOS>

Thanks...

Found it: It is under FIREWALL-->Netfiler
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to FTBoomer

Premium Member

to FTBoomer
Sorry just to this MSG...glad you found it.

RUQRU
Mac Addict
Premium Member
Central FL

RUQRU

Premium Member

The Padavan firmware exposes so many features on the RT-N56U that I have no idea what they do...so I am not going to mess with them Is there any documentation on the best configuration?
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to FTBoomer

Premium Member

to FTBoomer
No...bt then again there isn't any real documentation for most routers nowadays. You just have to play and google what you don't know. Bottom line don't mess with something unless you are comfortable with it.