BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL
kudos:146
reply to FTBoomer

Re: [Internet] Best Routers for Bridged Networks

Thank you I will confirm later tomorrow hopefully the same thing. I too noticed this hence my general lack of enthusiasm for the last build. Others were also complaining of it.

RUQRU
Premium
join:2005-07-30
Florida

How to use VPN server in Padavan firmware.

I am noobe with VPN configuration. So starting with a simple question: Can I turn on the VPN server in Padavan and then login and access the internet from a remote computer through my VPN without setting up OpenVPN on a PC?

Does anyone have experience doing this? How well does it work?

cavalierfh

join:2002-06-18
Orlando, FL
reply to BHNtechXpert

This may be a dumb question..

But if I'm on stock ASUS firmware, and I save my configuration settings, can I load that into Padavan's firmware?

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL

said by cavalierfh:

This may be a dumb question..

But if I'm on stock ASUS firmware, and I save my configuration settings, can I load that into Padavan's firmware?

Had you upgraded step by step from the start the answer is yes...but since then they have made so many changes that this would not be a safe assumption. I definately know that take config files from the most current version of Padavan and going backwards does not work well at all.
--
~All truth goes through three phases. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as self-evident. - Arthur Schopenhauer ~

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to FTBoomer

One thing I suggest you do with this firmware is IF you use custom DNS servers be sure to populate all three server spaces....use two opendns and he google for example....not doing this seems to cause random page errors. I had this problem which vanished when I added the third server....odd and definitely not something that should be happening.....

RUQRU
Premium
Florida

What is the difference when setting the DNS servers on the WAN tab as opposed to or including setting the three on the DHCP server tab?

As I understand it if you leave the ones on the DHCP tab blank the RT-N56U serves up the DNS from the ones on the WAN tab.

Is there any advantage to using both? Any harm if all 5 boxes are populated?

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to FTBoomer

I populate all five because I still havent figured out the difference myself.

ispalten

join:2005-04-16
Clermont, FL

On the Padavan site there are 'two types' of .018 firmware... one has a '1' and the other a '3' (3.0.2.6-018 and 1.1.2.6-018). Difference appears be the kernel version and if IPV6 is needed or not?

With the 1.1.2.6-018 version I was having 100% CPU utilization, solid, even if nothing was happening? Also my transfer rate (as indicated by Windows 7 x64) was about 25Mbps, where as with the .015 drop I was around 100Mbps. On the 3.0.2.6-018 I am seeing the 100Mbps transfer rate. Even thought the CPU Load goes to 100% when this was happening. Transfer done, back to 0%.
--
Irv Spalten

RUQRU
Premium
Florida
reply to BHNtechXpert

I only had the WAN field DNS populated and did not have any issues. I populated the other 3 after reading your post and see no difference.

BTW any help with VPN? Can I login to the router and out to the net using the router's server?

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to FTBoomer

Sorry... The VPN is used to essentially extend the reach of your network to authenticated devices that connect to your router via the VPN. In essence the entire network including network enabled devices would be accessible to any authenticated VPN client who connects.

RUQRU
Premium
Florida

Right, I get the basic concept. The question is how do I reach it from outside? I need an external IP address. So do I need to use some service that does DDNS?

Sorry, my knowledge is limited on this kind of connectivity.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to FTBoomer

That's up to you how you set that up. You know what your external IP is already. You can reserve a domain name and point to it or you can use something like NO-IP or other Dyn DNS service....these aren't really needed as IP addresses rarely change with us.

falcon2081

join:2012-08-16
Port Orange, FL
reply to FTBoomer

I'm on version .010. Any need to upgrade to the latest release?

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to FTBoomer

Yup...goto the Padavans page and you will see the latest...

falcon2081

Port Orange, FL

^Which one is the correct one. I see 2 "full" version. One has IPV4 and the other has IPV4+IPV6?

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to FTBoomer

Goto the main page....there is only one link on the right....this includes full ipv4 and 6 this is the one you want. Don't go to the downloads page as it will make you crazy trying to figure out which one. If you still have problems let me know and I will post the most current here.

falcon2081

Port Orange, FL
reply to FTBoomer

Got it thanks for the clarification.

ispalten

Clermont, FL
reply to FTBoomer

Looks like ASUS posted a new Official Firmware for the RT-N56U, »support.asus.com/Download.aspx?S···p=11&s=2, version 8n.
--
Irv Spalten

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL

said by ispalten:

Looks like ASUS posted a new Official Firmware for the RT-N56U, »support.asus.com/Download.aspx?S···p=11&s=2, version 8n.

Lol I'm not gonna be testing that one when we have Padavans which is miles ahead of the stock.
--
~All truth goes through three phases. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as self-evident. - Arthur Schopenhauer ~

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to FTBoomer

Strike that....this release was for the RTN65U...different unit.

ispalten

Clermont, FL

Confused by your reply Gary?

First the link I posted was for the N56U, "ASUS RT-N56U Firmware version 1.0.1.8n"? Secondly you said you weren't going to look at it anyway or was it because of the new Padavan release yesterday "RT-N65U_3.0.3.0-023 (en-ru). IPv6+IPv4. Linux kernel 3.0.50" that caused the comment you made?

I hit a 'semi-serious' problem with the N56U Padavan .018 code 2 days ago. I wanted to delete some files on the router that was being shared by the Media Server. I opened up Explorer (actually Explorer++) and then the Network, router, USB disk, and drilled down to the SHARE folder. I next wanted to open the VIDEO folder, but somehow it didn't open but the filename (video) went into the RENAME mode as if F2 was pressed. I hit ESC and then clicked again to open the folder. CONTENTS gone? No problem, Windows had a system file for the Recycle bin on that drive, I'll just restore the folder as it appears to be deleted... nothing there? OK, I'll move the drive to a PC and see what it looks like. Attached the drive, assigned the drive letter, and the folder really is gone. OK, I'll run CHKDSK anyway. Reported 'fixed uppercase names' whatever that meant? Made a new Video folder and put files there and then back to the USB port on the router. I have no clue what has happened? I have seen this happen, going into rename mode, before depending where I click on the filename, which is probably an Explorer++ bug, but ESC had always before put me back in 'normal' mode without problems? Just a data point for you.
--
Irv Spalten

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to FTBoomer

This is something you need to report on the Padavan site..

ispalten

Clermont, FL

Gary, look at this :

»support.asus.com/Download.aspx?S···4260.zip

Looks like ASUS has NOW released an OFFICIAL 3.0 (I assume kernel?) Firmware :

ASUS RT-N56U Firmware Version 3.0.0.4.260
1. After upgrading to 3.0.0.4.260 and restarting your router, please press the reset button for more than 5 seconds to reset the system to the default settings.
2. The original download master is not compatible with new firmware. Please uninstall the download master utility in computer and remove the "Complete", "InComplete" folder in the hard drive plugged in RT-N56U usb port.
3. Upgrade to the latest ASUSWRT user interface
4. Enhanced QoS feature
5. Web based download master
6. PPTP VPN server
7. Flexible on-line time control for different client

File Size 7,63 (MBytes) 2012.11.08 update

Do you intend to bypass this and stay with Padavan or will you test this and let us know if it is better? I looked at the 'old' beta's they had and I believe this 3x version is derived from the N65U firmware.
--
Irv Spalten

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to FTBoomer

Irv I'll take a look at the release notes but the alternative firmware is so much better (at least so far) that I see no reason for someone to stay with it. I won't have any time to look at it this weekend but next week should have plenty of time.

ispalten

Clermont, FL

Gary, it 'might' be having some problems... early reports say the file transfer speed is down (but the person reporting it has faster transfer than I get, 108mbps) and another said it couldn't be installed. I may test it over the weekend.
--
Irv Spalten

ispalten

Clermont, FL
reply to BHNtechXpert

Gary, NEW Padavan out today...

RT-N56U_3.0.3.0-025_full.zip 7.6 MB
Description:

- IPv6+IPv4 (dual stack).
- Linux kernel 3.0.50.
- New WebGUI.
- Full build: included "transmission" and "minidlna".

Changes to firmware ver. 3.0.3.0-022:
----------------------------------------------------------
- Added Entware repo support (»code.google.com/p/wl500g-repo/).
- Added Aria2-1.15.2 package to project tree. Only for N65U (16MB flash).
- Added iTunes media server (Firefly) to project tree. Only for N65U (16MB flash).
- Added control SSDP notify interval and extended paths for Minidlna media server.
- Updated rp-pppoe pppd plugin and pppoe-relay daemon to v3.11.
- Updated nvram driver, used ioctl instead of mmap for prevent kernel memory corruption.
- Fixed switch WAN/LAN isolation on STB port selected in 1xRGMII scheme (VLAN 1/2).
- Temporarily disabled IGMP snooping feature for Realtek RTL8367B series giga-switch (N65U).

Changes to firmware ver. 3.0.2.8-021:
[Firmware 3.0.x.x]
- Added full support Asus RT-N65U board.
- Updated kernel-3.0.x to 3.0.50 from www.kernel.org.
- Updated raeth driver to v3.0 from Ralink SDK 4.1.0.0 (used in 2xRGMII scheme).
- Updated raeth driver from N65U firmware with Asus homebrew hack. (Hmmm. Hack used PPE?
Why Ralink/MTK does not know about this feature?). Hacked raeth allow speed-up local TX traffic
in 1xRGMII scheme (USB3 read speed-up from 17 to 35 MB/s on N65U).
[Common changes]
- Fixed random hangup SoC RT3883/3662 under AP 5GHz (backport from Ralink driver 2.6.0.x).
- Enabled 2T3R mode (TX=300Mbps/RX=450Mbs) for AP 5GHz on N56U.
- Updated package ffmpeg to v0.11.2 for resolve minidnla scan deadlock issues.
- Added build target for Samsung CY-SWR1100 board.

Changes to firmware ver. 3.0.2.7-020:
- Enabled rp-l2tp client by default for L2TP WAN (issues with xl2tpd HELLO for ISP Beeline).

I see a LOT of N65U stuff there????
--
Irv Spalten

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to FTBoomer

Testing it now... stand by...

ispalten

Clermont, FL

I decided to put it on... no problems yet... but I've only used it the normal way, Internet access both wired and wireless. All devices connected properly. Will try the Media Server later.

Noticed this stuff in the LOG :

Jan 1 00:00:16 RT-N56U: wan up (eth3)
Jan 1 00:00:17 kernel: Built_for__Asus_n65u_2012-03-29

Looks like the N56U is now the base code set just like the Official ASUS????

Also :

Jan 1 00:00:27 Media Server: daemon is started
Nov 11 07:55:07 kernel: rtl8367 - port [4] link speed: 1, flow control: 0
Nov 11 07:55:07 kernel: rtl8367 - port [0] link speed: 1, flow control: 0
Nov 11 07:55:08 detect_link: WAN link down detected!
Nov 11 07:55:12 detect_link: WAN link restored!
Nov 11 07:55:14 detect_link: Perform WAN DHCP renew...

It finally got the timestamp correct but is it normal not to find the WAN link up? This was on the re-boot of the router after the flash.
--
Irv Spalten

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to FTBoomer

For those using the RTN56U everything seems fine so go ahead and update. I'm actually quite pleased with the performance this run.

ispalten

Clermont, FL

Gary, this morning was the first boot of the computers after the flash and re-boot of the router. All computers connected properly on router re-boot as did the iPads. Later turned on the TV and it was OK too.

This morning I booted my wired computer. It did NOT connect? I had to DISABLE and ENABLE the network adapter. It then connected.

Later my wife turned on her computer and tried using her iPad. Both on the 5GHZ SSID. Neither connected and the computer did not see the 5GHZ SSID. So I tried connecting it to the 2.4Ghz SSID and it would NOT connect? Neither would the iPad.

I then re-booted the routed and all connected to the 5Ghz signal that appeared after the re-boot.

I don't know if this was a fluke or not, but if it happens tomorrow, I'm going back to .018 which I didn't have this happen on.

No, I'm not reporting it, seems there was something similar reported before and I really didn't capture the info (since I couldn't connect immediately and didn't think to after I did before the re-boot). This is just for your info and anyone else reading this thread if it should happen to them.
--
Irv Spalten